The online racing simulator
Quote from Hot Line Map :...and because it lacks giving people information about the game's news or what's going on, many of them don't bother checking forums. If information were given easily in the game, people might even stay in the game or even think about buying a license.

Interesting point.

When a new person registers an LFS account here, they can opt in to receive important news notifications via email. Buy maybe for those who aren't subscribed, do you think it would help to show the latest official LFS news items on the LFS entry screen, maybe in a second tab next to the upcoming events news?
Quote from Flame CZE :Interesting point.

When a new person registers an LFS account here, they can opt in to receive important news notifications via email. Buy maybe for those who aren't subscribed, do you think it would help to show the latest official LFS news items on the LFS entry screen, maybe in a second tab next to the upcoming events news?

The beginning of the sentence in also interesting Big grin.
Quote from Hot Line Map :people who aren't interested in buying/supporting the game because it's not really the choice people think because they think it's only cars and nothing else...

This is (also) where there is food for thought (and perhaps communication). LFS is not a product like the others. By its qualities (one of, if not the best physique in the world) but also its positioning.

The ease of access to the game (small computer, low price, lifetime license) and its free demo give it a popular dimension, at odds with current trends. It's a shame if people are not fully aware of this. Information on updates, news, online events is good. But that's not all.Tilt
#103 - FIZ
Quote from ksa_land :Regarding AI:
- I wished at least those sudden emergency breaks from the AI when they are slightly squeezed between wall and cars etc. would not happen, those are always cheap unfun overtakes and are triggered way too easily. They also cause "traffic jams" and accidents because they take too long to get to speed again.
- It also would be great if the AI would not try to get the optimal race line right after race start. It causes "traffic jams" and spinning cars, and you overtake like 10 cars right at the beginning .
- Lastly, some better AI behaviour when overlapping other cars would be great since the can get stuck behind slower cars, even on ovals.

Agreed 100%, this is really really needed for a "LFS 1.0" release, but I assume this is not an easy task and surely not at the highest priority now.
Quote from FIZ :Agreed 100%, this is really really needed for a "LFS 1.0" release, but I assume this is not an easy task and surely not at the highest priority now.

I also agree 100%. It would take little (even if it's complicated to do) for the AI to be pleasant. I add that the AI could have 2 or 3 more levels. Bots should drive 5-6 seconds faster on average tracks to be competitive (and I'm way off world records).
I understand that this is not a priority for an online game and that there is more urgent to do. It would be better for training but also to complete the grids which are not full of humans on the online servers.
It's difficult for such changes to take place considering it's just 3 developers that make this game happen. They are doing it at their own pace and we can't change that.
No it is not 100% needed for lfs 1.0

Actually its 0%

No fun driving offline against computer,and hopefully scawen not gonna change anything on ai,better work on more useful stuffs
Quote from Viperakecske :No it is not 100% needed for lfs 1.0

Actually its 0%

No fun driving offline against computer,and hopefully scawen not gonna change anything on ai,better work on more useful stuffs

Nobody said it was 100% necessary for version 1.0. We are 100% in agreement on the diagnosis of AI. It's very different. We also know that Scawen is unlikely to rework the AI. Be reassured.
Indeed
Quote from Flame CZE :
do you think it would help to show the latest official LFS news items on the LFS entry screen, maybe in a second tab next to the upcoming events news?

honestly yeah, it would definitely be, especially on the LFS main entry screen. Even if that wasn't an option and it had a separate tab for news, it would still be better than what is accessible right now, and in my opinion, this will boost retention in the game and maybe even the sales. It would be a great addition to LFS.
Quote from Flame CZE :...do you think it would help to show the latest official LFS news items on the LFS entry screen, maybe in a second tab next to the upcoming events news?

This could work, reminds me of the old BeamNG menu.

There should be a fast and easy way to learn about the recent updates / new versions, so to be clear developers are working on the game.

Now you have to go to News page, then apply filter (show official lfs news), nobody would do that.

In BeamNG website you can instantly see the recent updates.

EDIT: There is a shortcut for the official lfs news: Big grin but i just noticed it...

Attached images
g4pcno9fsdp31.jpg
Capture.JPG
#111 - FIZ
Quote from johneysvk :I find it hard to believe that other current simracing titles aren't on a higher level than that.

They are on a higher level, indeed.
Cannot say for all of them, but even GT5 has a much higher AI intelligence.
AI on LFS have to be enhanced, I remember discussing about it around 2003-2005, because even 2 decades ago that AI was barely acceptable.
Please, everyone, look around more.. it is clear just by looking at some youtube videos.
Quote from FIZ :They are on a higher level, indeed.
AI on LFS have to be enhanced, I remember discussing about it around 2003-2005, because even 2 decades ago that AI was barely acceptable.
Please, everyone, look around more.. it is clear just by looking at some youtube videos.

Then you go and play GT7 AI and realize it's so deficient which is why the game only makes them mobile chicanes while you time trial as every event. Actual racing against them is impossible.
Zzzz
Quote from BeNoM :EDIT by Scawen: Originally posted by BeNoM in "LFS in the news" but sparked a conversation so moved to separate thread.

I actually think it would be interesting to change the look of LFS.
I'm not saying change the name because that meant changing the identity of the LFS and that's not it, but for example a more updated logo that could even be made and voted on by the community for example Smile , ways to apply music via MP3 for example, ambient sound on the tracks etc ..
One thing that I think was really missing in LFS is "Radio team leader" as it has in many current games.
For me I like his image as it is Smile but it would be very interesting a change with his new updates even if it's something simple.

Of course, that's not the most important thing, but it does little to surprise the SimRacing community.
Quote from joaopaulopt :I actually think it would be interesting to change the look of LFS.

Actually, your right to redesign the LFS user interface could make it feel fresh while also demonstrating that it is not abandoned.
Quote from FIZ :They are on a higher level, indeed.

Remembrance tends to magnify things. I doubt we find the AIs of yesterday's games very fantastic today.Big grin

I remember watching a fairly recent video testing the Iracing AI patch. It wasn't brilliant. Worse than in LFS (I haven't tested myself).
Programming a good AI is certainly very complicated. What's unfortunate with LFS AI is that it doesn't seem to be missing much to it to become acceptable.

Bad AI = disappointing first test of the game = no motivation to practice = no need for demanding driving = humiliating and unpleasant first online experience for others = (also) no competitive bots to complete grids = empty servers online = an offline practice that quickly becomes boring.

Sometimes some of the things that seem inessential are fraught with concrete consequences. Afterwards, it's easy to say (and always ask for more) it's another thing to roll up your sleeves and do it.Tilt
Quote from Avraham Vandezwin :Remembrance tends to magnify things. I doubt we find the AIs of yesterday's games very fantastic today.Big grin

I remember watching a fairly recent video testing the Iracing AI patch. It wasn't brilliant. Worse than in LFS (I haven't tested myself).
Programming a good AI is certainly very complicated. What's unfortunate with LFS AI is that it doesn't seem to be missing much to it to become acceptable.

Bad AI = disappointing first test of the game = no motivation to practice = no need for demanding driving = humiliating and unpleasant first online experience for others = (also) no competitive bots to complete grids = empty servers online = an offline practice that quickly becomes boring.

Sometimes some of the things that seem inessential are fraught with concrete consequences. Afterwards, it's easy to say (and always ask for more) it's another thing to roll up your sleeves and do it.Tilt

iRacing's AI is very very good tbh. It takes a bit of time to find the right pace for yourself, but it's really good at being a competent opponent. Respects your space, makes overtaking moves, doesn't barge you off track. It's actually useful as a training tool for real races.
Quote from gu3st :iRacing's AI is very very good tbh. It takes a bit of time to find the right pace for yourself, but it's really good at being a competent opponent. Respects your space, makes overtaking moves, doesn't barge you off track. It's actually useful as a training tool for real races.

Thank you for the info. It's good to have an informed opinion. Even if it adds to my frustration (LFS foreverBig grin).
I absolutely agree with you. AI is not an end in itself. It's a way to train for the race and better sell the game to people playing offline. They are many.
A game that sells well has more resources, to buy, for example, car's licences, or sport events licence's and laser tracks.
A game with a better AI is a better game too. Even if its vocation is online.
Someone rename this topic to Avraham Vandezwin thoughts
Quote from Viperakecske :Someone rename this topic to Avraham Vandezwin thoughts

I post too much. It's possible Big grin.
Don't worry, I'll soon disappear for a while Wink.
But do you have anything useful to say on this topic ?
Yes,make lfs great again whit updates
Quote from Viperakecske :Yes,make lfs great again whit updates

Are we talking about something else? Even talkers like me?
Quote from Avraham Vandezwin :Are we talking about something else? Even talkers like me?

You wouldn't be so optimistic and full of enthusiasm if you were around the time when Scirocco was announced. I just feel like you are constantly coming up with purely insignificant ideas and spamming this damn thread just because you want to be liked by certain people. You don't understand it.
Yeah, that Scirocco thing is just a great reason to be depressed and full of angst for a decade. Uh-huUhmmFace -> palmShrug
Quote from MousemanLV :You wouldn't be so optimistic and full of enthusiasm if you were around the time when Scirocco was announced. I just feel like you are constantly coming up with purely insignificant ideas and spamming this damn thread just because you want to be liked by certain people. You don't understand it.

I was there in the days of the Volkswagen Scirocco. So what ?
Be liked by who ?
What do you think you are here? Be serious. Big grin

We are only words and ideas. Nothing else. It's not a place to walk around with your ego and try to please.

Sorry, I don't have your extraordinary capacity for synthesis. I can't sum up the potential of LFS as succinctly as you do Tilt
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG