The online racing simulator
Test Patch D4 (now D48)
(704 posts, closed, started )
Quote from htunsal :Maybe bug report:

I am driving with Logitech G29+Shifter. Normally it manages the steering lock for each car and blocks the wheel at maximum angle LFS gives. But now it does not limit the wheel, after full steering wheel continues to turn but in LFS its at max angle. Like I mean steering lock is 540 degrees. In LFS at 540 it stops to turn but G29 it doesn't block and you can turn the wheel to 900 degrees.

I could not reproduce this with my G27. The steering limit is still enforced by LFS.

Are you getting force feedback from driving?

The one thing I did notice is that the limit is not enforced in Controls Options, because there is no force feedback in that screen.
In the latest patch, the small map is bugged, no matter what colors I select for other cars, they all remain white on the small map, I can only change my car's color.
It depends on the colour of the first character of their player name. Is that not happening?

Or please describe very precisely what is happening. Race / practice / cruise / AI / multiplayer, etc.
Moved a few posts that are no longer needed.

I'm finishing a few more minor updates for the public test patch.
I guess it would be too much work but maybe some two colours (like fill and outline) arrows like previous plus team on the outline or vice versa.
Thanks for trying improving all the time!
Test Patch D9 is now available:

Interface:

FIX: Chat text in mods screen is now in front of interface buttons

Graphics:

Dust colour on grass and dirt tracks now uses a dirt colour
- previously used average colour of surface which looked odd
- smoke and dust acquire lighting colour from car's location

Multiplayer:

Stationary cars can now lag for longer (3 seconds) before vanishing
Team arrow colours on small map are now enabled by a host option
- option is not yet available but is coded as /teamarrows=no/yes

InSim:

IS_CPP packet with Time = 0 is instantly processed (not stored)
- allows it to be followed immediately by an IS_CPP with Time > 0
FIX: ZByte was not set in IS_OBH packet

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/102117
-
(Viperakecske) DELETED by Scawen : spam
-
-
Quote from superlame :What are the changes, are they in SHIFT+U?

Yes, in Free View mode, but the change is only when controlled by InSim.

IS_CPP packet with Time = 0 is instantly processed (not stored)
- allows it to be followed immediately by an IS_CPP with Time > 0

This change makes it possible to instantly move a camera to a location (from anywhere in Free View or from a car view) AND then immediately start the camera moving somewhere else, without needing to wait a while. in previous versions, the "moving" camera would overwrite the "positioning" camera so it was necessary to wait for some undetermined fraction of a second to hopefully avoid the overwrite.

It's much more positive and Chris (Sim Broadcasts) has been able to make use of this to improve the camera tracking immediately after camera changes.
With this feature added to lfs, i was wondering about oil temperature and its behaviour during LOTS of laps and torture to the car engine.

Back in 0.6H i used to do few hotlaps on FXO and felt like after 6,7 laps on Aston at a high pace the car itself feels slower or has a small loss of power.

My question is, that really happens? Or the oil temp was there just for funny measure and no use at all?
Quote from KiiT1337 :With this feature added to lfs, i was wondering about oil temperature and its behaviour during LOTS of laps and torture to the car engine.

Back in 0.6H i used to do few hotlaps on FXO and felt like after 6,7 laps on Aston at a high pace the car itself feels slower or has a small loss of power.

My question is, that really happens? Or the oil temp was there just for funny measure and no use at all?

Quote from LFS Manual:

Oil temperature gauge: The current Oil temperature. If the cooler has been damaged in a crash the engine temperature will rise and the driver should take care not to push too hard because this might destroy the engine. This is not enabled yet. It may also be Water Temperature, but the same principles above will apply.

You may got engine damage doing agressive downshifts or killed tyres Tongue But oil-water temp aren't measured
Scawen, I have a question but don't know how easy it is to add in.

Different cars need different ffb strength ingame. LFS original cars are quite close but will be still usefull for, but mod cars need sometimes twice as much ffb.

So can you make this setting car specific like the view setting? Smile
Yes, I've had a look in the code and it looks like that should work.

How to use it:

- create a text file in your data\script folder
- add a line in the text file like /ff 30 (whatever force value you want)
- rename the text file SKINID.lfs (Skin ID of the mod you want to set)

Let me know if I've missed something. I know it's not super convenient but it can help for mods you use often.

By the way, in the new LFS there is something about a power steering setting, trying to do it a more realistic way. In code it's simply an amount to reduce the FF, and can be adjusted in the setup, if the car has power steering. But I'm not sure yet how to make sure mod creators set a suitable value for power steering. Anyway going off topic.

By the way, the SKINID.lfs script is run *after* the one like "road.lfs" or "paddle.lfs" etc.
Something that modern race cars have is the ability to change the power steering on the fly. So there's a setting from 1 through 6 and you can adjust it so the sterring is heavier or lighter.

Perhaps that's a further feature where mod devs can set a "base" power steering setting but it can be tuned on the fly to meet the drivers needs.
So you want to rename the increase/decrease FFB hotkeys to power steering setting? What's the point exactly? Maybe that it leaves global ffb power intact and resets after changing car? Can't see other difference.
Quote from Scawen :
How to use it:

- create a text file in your data\script folder
- add a line in the text file like /ff 30 (whatever force value you want)
- rename the text file SKINID.lfs (Skin ID of the mod you want to set)

That's exactly how I used to have my setup back in the day, it works well (though not tried it with mods).

Quote from Ped7g :So you want to rename the increase/decrease FFB hotkeys to power steering setting? What's the point exactly? Maybe that it leaves global ffb power intact and resets after changing car? Can't see other difference.

IIRC, the idea with the power steering was to make the steering weight more consistent between cars. Like an overall target weight, rather than just a global force multiplier (which is all the ffb setting is).
Degats: yeah, I get per-car-by-designer setting to normalize the ffb strength to be as intended (IIRC LFS does calculate FFB from suspension/tyres/... and there is no power steering mechanism countering that? I'm not sure, but that would be my guess how it works. So I guess you can somewhat tune mod ffb by suspension tuning, but that may go against other intended design. But also some cars/karts are considerably more difficult to drive in real life, real cars are not consistent either Smile ).

My remark was for gu3st, as you can already adjust ffb on the fly with keys, so I'm confused what he's looking for.
Quote from Ped7g :Degats: yeah, I get per-car-by-designer setting to normalize the ffb strength to be as intended (IIRC LFS does calculate FFB from suspension/tyres/... and there is no power steering mechanism countering that? I'm not sure, but that would be my guess how it works. So I guess you can somewhat tune mod ffb by suspension tuning, but that may go against other intended design. But also some cars/karts are considerably more difficult to drive in real life, real cars are not consistent either Smile ).

My remark was for gu3st, as you can already adjust ffb on the fly with keys, so I'm confused what he's looking for.

Changing the FFB strength is different than changing the strength of power steering. Ideally your FFB strength should stay the same and just never clipping (which LFS doesn't really give the tools to detect FFB clipping). Assuming your FFB is setup properly and a vehicle has power steering, from there you can tune how much/little the power steering is assisting you.
Quote from Scawen :- smoke and dust acquire lighting colour from car's location

This has an odd effect when a dust is generated in lit area and goes to a shaded area or vice versa - the dust keeps the colour from the original car's location.

I assume this is going to be solved in the new graphics system? I remember you talking about it here in the development progress thread.
Attached images
lfs_00001526.jpg
lfs_00001527.jpg
Quote from Flame CZE :This has an odd effect when a dust is generated in lit area and goes to a shaded area or vice versa - the dust keeps the colour from the original car's location.

I assume this is going to be solved in the new graphics system? I remember you talking about it here in the development progress thread.

Yes, in the new graphics system, there are two lighting components that affect the smoke depending on location.

1) Direct lighting: The sun, removed by shadow maps (pixel-based). Obviously depends on location.
2) Ambient lighting: Sky visibility and artificial lighting (object-based). This comes from a lightmap reading that is done for each dust puff every graphical frame.

This public version doesn't have shadow maps or a lightmap that can be read quickly. It does have a path-based lightmap that the car follows but it's not suitable to be followed by each dust puff. This quick update involved a copy of some small amount of code from the development version. Mainly, the decision on colour and thickness of dust depending on the surface type. I noticed it was too bright in some places and not necessarily the right colour, so thought it would be a decent improvement to simply light the dust when emitted, by the car's last lighting result.
@Scawen, not sure if it was found or fixed in the newer versions, but yesterday we noticed a bug in multiplayer. At some point for some reason: in multiplayer 0.7D can't take over a vehicle from 0.7D6 and the same issue is in reverse. After exiting/entering back in LFS 0.7D6 the bug was fixed. I have a .mpr from 0.7D, you can send me a PM where to send it if it could be helpful to resolve the issue.

What actually happens? When someone presses "T" the other one can't press it back. The button "T" is glowing in yellow, but when you press it back, it seems to be disabled.
Were all the conditions definitely met? In pit stop, etc. I could stop and test this using two user accounts but I'm in the middle of tyre physics so don't really want to stop at the moment, so if anyone else can test that would be appreciated. I'd suggest testing with D9 and D versions together. If all works then I'd suggest that all is OK.
Quote from Scawen :Were all the conditions definitely met? In pit stop, etc. I could stop and test this using two user accounts but I'm in the middle of tyre physics so don't really want to stop at the moment, so if anyone else can test that would be appreciated. I'd suggest testing with D8 and D versions together. If all works then I'd suggest that all is OK.

All conditions were met. The pit stop was finished and the 0.7D6 user was spectating. The same was in reverse. Hard to tell how it happened though, because after the 0.7D6 user re-entered LFS.exe the bug was not found anymore. Anyway, if we find it again, I'll let you know. Tire physics is way more important for everyone, so please proceed in peace.
Quote from Scawen :A long requested feature to display maximum speed for each gear in setup screen.

I love this, any chance we can get it in the editor as well?
Hello, my suggestion is to add a Check Engine light as an option in s_clock editor, to add to the existing dashboard lights, like ABS light, TC light etc etc. It would be triggered as soon as engine damage occurs. Please let me know what you think
This thread is closed

Test Patch D4 (now D48)
(704 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG