The online racing simulator
Why Cant This Be Simple
(29 posts, started )

Poll : LFS shouldbe easier to connect to and rely on

I LIKE IT THE WAY IT IS
YES!
NO!
Why Cant This Be Simple
Why is connecting to a server and ping and all that other crap have to be so difficult, why cant LFS just buy 1 Huge computer that everybody can connect to so they can play and start hosts?!

-Just a suggestion
master server???
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :master server???

insted of us putting in our ip address and port and things like that we can just connect online like other games!!!
#4 - wabz
I'm having a lot of trouble understanding your post.... You don't have to put your IP anywhere to connect to a server??

LFS works the same as all other games do - it has a master server which is contacted if you start an online server. When people go to the multiplayer section to find a server, the master server sends a list of all servers around the world, which you then connect to by clicking join.

LFS does a very good job of hiding server IP addresses so you don't have to know a server's IP to be able to connect....
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :insted of us putting in our ip address and port and things like that we can just connect online like other games!!!

tell you what mate, when connecting to servers you don't need your ip address or ports, never. ever. are you playing the same game?

connect to master server... get server list.. click on server to connect to it. how does it get any easier than that?
yes i have the same confusion as the people above me lol. where is the difficulty
#7 - Lible
You don't have to join specific server, imthebestracerthereis. Tell your LFS to show you the server list. And you want ping to be removed? Really? You're kidding right. You obiviously don't know what ping is.
illepall

Click "multiplayer"
Click "Display list of games"
Click on whatever server you want to join

I don't think it could be any simpler
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :insted of us putting in our ip address and port and things like that we can just connect online like other games!!!

Hi there
are you getting online racing and Lan racing mixed up perhaps?

We don't have to put ip address's etc in unless we are hosting a LAN game , usually then we have to give the opponent a ip address or port address, is that what you mean?
ShannonN
i think what he means is should you have to host the game on YOUR computer or just get a spot on an LFS computer

i might be wrong butillepall
This thread warrants a huge :doh:

I'm still completely astonished how people manage to screw up the simplest things. Not knowing how to install from a .zip? Not clicking "display list of games"? What comes next?
sorry :)
MY MAIN GOAL: IS TO START A HOST ON THE EASTERN SIDE OF THE USA BECAUSE MOST ARE IN EUROPE AND I HAVE LAG AND LOSE CONNECTION TO THE HOST !!ALOT!!

i should have been a little more advanced, if/when you start a new game/host you need an ip address and the port for LFS to connect to

i thought it would be much easier to join without finding all the info on the computer, than open firewall, change the settings, and mess around with ALL of the router cable and wireless cards, and just create a game and LFS automatically finds my Ip and opens the ports i need.

if/when you try to start a host, you will find if you dont have the right equpiment, you might have to go through ALOT of resources

AND

Since i dont have the right equpiment, (and I live in the US) I get AlOT of lag and I lose connection to the host about 3 times in 10 min. (its really aggriviating :schwitz :bananadea
hey
i read through all of your post and I know how to get to the games and i know i dont need a ip for the "display games" and yes i meant LFS and I guess i wasnt specific enough

Be Nice, Im A Noob and guess what? --> :dnfnoob: (unless he asks for help)
Okay, so the problem is actually on your side, namely a crappy net connection. I mean, even guys from Australia manage to connect, why don't you?
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :... just create a game and LFS automatically finds my Ip and opens the ports i need.

Haha, now if a program could do that (open ports on a router/firewall), that would be the #1 exploit for viruses and hackers. Also server admins would kill Scawen when he implemented such a thing, because they have likely closed that port for a reason.

So, you want a different master server. You do know that the master server is used for S2 authentication, so actually YOU couldn't make a master server - it would have to be in control of the developers. Otherwise any idiot could come there and reprogram/modify it to simply grant unlocking to who ever asked.
In conclusion: it's not gonna happen.

Fix your net connection but don't blame LFS for your problems
Quote from AndroidXP :Fix your net connection but don't blame LFS for your problems

seems simple, not...... errrggggg if i only lived with the kangaroos
#16 - Jakg
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :i should have been a little more advanced, if/when you start a new game/host you need an ip address and the port for LFS to connect to

do you have any idea how hard and dangerous that would be?
You want to host 400 dedicated server on one machine? Good idea^^
Ever thought about technical limitations? maybe?
#18 - SamH
Should we be required to know the intricacies of nuclear power to be entitled to benefit from the light from a lightbulb? At the end of the day, computing is a challenge to many people. They don't understand the meanings of things like IP, TCP, UDP, port, DNS, packet, protocol... and these things are difficult to take on board. Elitist attitudes to Internet and computing should be left in the Linux world. They're not in keeping with the Windows/PC/Mac ethos.

imthebestracerthereis, hosting servers is a little complicated, and you can't really host a 23 seat server from a home connection because the amount of information that needs sending over the internet, in a short space of time, is MORE than home connections can cope with at the moment. If you're having problems joining and staying on OTHER peoples' servers, the problem lies with your internet connection.

You should call your Internet Service Provider and ask them to identify the problem you're having. Your connection is not functioning correctly (if it was, you wouldn't be having the problems you're having). It's up to THEM to find, and fix the issue, or explain to you in simple terms how you can fix it yourself. You're not required to be an expert on the topic, but as a customer they have an obligation to you to provide you with a fully functioning service. You're paying them for it, after all.
okay okay
i get it i just needed to see why i couldnt host a server
haha got it working router problems, next is my wireless connection
#21 - Jakg
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :haha got it working router problems, next is my wireless connection

please say your getting rid of it!
Quote from AndroidXP :
Fix your net connection but don't blame LFS for your problems

Quote from imthebestracerthereis :seems simple, not...... errrggggg if i only lived with the kangaroos

That's Australia, not Austria (which is where AndroidXP is) :doh:
Trust me, I do live with the 'roos
I wish networking was simple, and I understand stuff about it i'm sure some people dont know exists, yet I still wish it was simple.

The problem with networking is three-fold:

On the one hand we want it easy to connect and share info
On the other hand we want it impossible for hackers to connect and steal info
No two people/companies can agree on a simple and workable protocol that suites all needs

What we have is the best compromise in the world, the internet is the biggest network to have ever existed and it does work. But the first two points above are frequently breached.

That isn't really the fault of the devs either, all internet games have the same issues for setting up a server. You can of course go to a game server company and rent a pre-configured server, which is expensive, but otherwise you need to learn the basics of internet security, firewalls, and ip addresses/ports.

That's just the nature of the beast.
Quote from Jakg :please say your getting rid of it!

I got wireless internet, and I don't really know, but I think I don't lag much. My pings are all around 33 mostly. So I don't think I need to complain about it I do have to say it was a little bit faster when I had my wire, I especially noticed in fps games. But it didn't do much of a change, I might get a wired connection again later on, because I have to move downstairs. Maybe it'll all be better then? Don't know anymore, it's been so long since I had that
#25 - Jakg
Quote from sgt.flippy :I got wireless internet, and I don't really know, but I think I don't lag much. My pings are all around 33 mostly. So I don't think I need to complain about it I do have to say it was a little bit faster when I had my wire, I especially noticed in fps games. But it didn't do much of a change, I might get a wired connection again later on, because I have to move downstairs. Maybe it'll all be better then? Don't know anymore, it's been so long since I had that

it isnt the ping, its the fact that some of the packets just dissapear into thin air, causing you to lag and warp a lot

Why Cant This Be Simple
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG