The online racing simulator
Annoying problem with windows (mods please move it if it's in the wrong section)
Hi there,
I've seen similar threads, but none had the problem I have (at least I've read them).
Anyway, this is getting really annoying. and because of that, my monitor has got 2 small fissures
The thing is, that shortly after I login to Windows, the taskbar and desktop icons disappear in all of a sudden and then a window shows up with the title "Definições Personalizadas" (Custom Definitions in english) and disappears in a matter of seconds, and the desktop and taskbar are back. This happens over and over, probably 10 times an hour, makes the windows explorer crash, and the taskbar and desktop even stop working, which leaves me the choice of logout-log back in, which, again, is ripping my nerves off. If anybody has experienced this, or knows what is this, please post here.

I've added a screen so you know how it is.

Cheers
Attached images
wtfisthis.png
lol your Windows is fcuked

It I had that problem I would run virus scan, then format the hard drive, and reinstall windows. But hey if you find the solution please post it.
Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes, Avast scan... If this doesn't help, Windoze reinstall
I think the correct English term here is 'Personal Settings', should make looking for information easier. It could be that your profile is just corrupted. Create a new regular (non-admin) user and see if the same thing happens:
- if it does, it's not a corrupt profile issue because it happens on a new profile. Get those virus/malware/rootkit scans going on.
- if it does not, it might be a corrupt profile. The way to fix this is to migrate your files and settings from the corrupted profile to a new profile.

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151
Scan for viruses as a first, as everyone has said above.

As a quick attempt at a fix, try downloading a windows skin, such as the Zune XP theme

This is an official skin from Microsoft, and it looks like this

If it's just a problem with your theme or something, using this would fix that hopefully. Don't worry, if you don't like it you can just switch back to a different theme by going into the Control Panel and going to "Appearance and Themes" (But guessing you already knew that )

But yeah, try the advice from the other posters, it's good solid advice
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Scan for viruses as a first, as everyone has said above.

As a quick attempt at a fix, try downloading a windows skin, such as the Zune XP theme

This is an official skin from Microsoft, and it looks like this

If it's just a problem with your theme or something, using this would fix that hopefully. Don't worry, if you don't like it you can just switch back to a different theme by going into the Control Panel and going to "Appearance and Themes" (But guessing you already knew that )

But yeah, try the advice from the other posters, it's good solid advice

tbh, at first I didn't know how skins would help me, but I'll try that one out, looks good

Anyways, here's my progress:
I've temporarily discarted the virus, spyware off the board and checked the screen's situation (probably the definitions were being adapted to it), problem wasn't solved. I deleted junk with Ace Utilities, it didn't bother me for the rest of the night, but today, it's back and more annoying than ever!
So, this only leaves to an antivirus which needs to be installed (AVG 8.0 failed installation). So, does anyone know of a free antivirus besides AVG?

Quote from NotAnIllusion :I think the correct English term here is 'Personal Settings', should make looking for information easier. It could be that your profile is just corrupted. Create a new regular (non-admin) user and see if the same thing happens:
- if it does, it's not a corrupt profile issue because it happens on a new profile. Get those virus/malware/rootkit scans going on.
- if it does not, it might be a corrupt profile. The way to fix this is to migrate your files and settings from the corrupted profile to a new profile.

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

yeah, I'm in another profile, because my older one was completely messed up. This one's admin as well, though.
Avast is a good second to AVG
I tried to install avast but it asked me for a key or sth. can you give me a link? thanks in advance.
Avast registration should be free (it was the last time I did it), you'll get a key in your email if you follow the registration links.
Avast is completely free. If it requires a key, you either downloaded the wrong version or the key is given to you automatically when you register on their page or something.

E: beaten
#11 - CSU1
run 'msconfig' and post a screen shot of the start up tab and we have a wee look
bump.
The problem got solved somehow. I'd really like to know how that happened, but at least it's not annoying me anymore (hopefully for the next days as well). I have another problem, but I shall create another thread so more prople can help about my newest problem (and not about this annoying windows desktop refreshing problem).

Cheers.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG