The online racing simulator
Imo it doesn't really matter how long the qualifying is if it's an open one. Arguably any more than one shot at it is too much. So back to the old F1 single hotlap? Except that it would rather much suck to have the 4 second rule applying... Always a matter of preference though, can't argue about it.

Broadcast coveragionally (and yes, I know that's not a word) it doesn't really make a difference since there's no practical way to use broadcast inlays efficiently (live I mean, recorded is always a diferent matter.)
Quote from Storm_Cloud :
1 hour also reduces the chances of mixed grids as the quickest will have more chances to be quick and that can reduce the action in the race. Much better to have the possibility that a championship favourite screws up their 2 chances of a lap and have to start near the back.

I see it that way too, maybe im better in qualy and i often started from P1, but that's always some extra adrenaline when your on that single fast lap; i always get better motivation. From my point of view it would be good to start from middle of pack from time to time if anything bad happens
I used to be relatively good at getting a new PB in qually. However it's almost impossible to get a good lap in at some tracks through being blocked during a hotlap.

Yeah, it's sort of like a skill that some people like Boris and Storm_Cloud have, but people are still developing that skill. You guys have had S2 for at least 2 years, like 5 years in Boris' case. I've had S2 for like 7 months, Had my G25 for 3 weeks.... Plus i'm sure that next year there will be participants who will be less experienced than me.

I would like the idea of Q1, Q2 and Q3, although that wouldn't work due the amount of drivers who participate in each race - it's evident from this season that it will fluctuate. But then Dek's idea of driver contracts could combat that?

Silver said to me at the start of this season that he was thinking about some kind of award(s) for winning the World Championship for Season 2........Not sure what this would be considering we live all over the globe lol.
Wheel and licence from exactly 1st January 2006 :}}
Its hard to judge that, it also depends on track. If its So Town you could do like 8 measured laps- i think that that really enought. At FE Black it was 3 laps- even for me it wasnt a lot. It should depend in which direction we are going to follow; If we are going to be strick better stay at 25 maybe less minutes, same in the other way
maybe something like A1 GP? you have 10mins but you're only allowed to do one hotlap? (It would definately show who did some training for the event, and also limits the time, also you need to be lucky)
I dont think anything will be improved from extending qualifying further. Only getting 2/3 chances is enough and if it isnt it makes the race more interesting for faster drivers who mess up.

Im quite keen on the single lap idea also. We did it in UKGPL, the pressure of everyone watching as each competitor does their lap alone can be quite intense!
UKGPL? Are you driving in season 16?
Qualifying seemed fine the way it was to me. Not too long and not too short.
Quote :I dont think anything will be improved from extending qualifying further. Only getting 2/3 chances is enough and if it isnt it makes the race more interesting for faster drivers who mess up.

Tend to agree with Paul, Storm and Boris here. Nothing much to be gained by extending it and the shorter session allows the possibility for one of the fastest drivers not to nail the lap and therefore a slightly mixed grid. 25 mins looks good for me.

Quote :Im quite keen on the single lap idea also. We did it in UKGPL, the pressure of everyone watching as each competitor does their lap alone can be quite intense!

Yeh it can be intense for sure and certainly adds something to the event.

Quote :UKGPL? Are you driving in season 16?

OldSkool!

Best, Maz
Quote from Storm_Cloud :UKGPL? Are you driving in season 16?

No, not driven GPL for about 4 years! Is it still going? Absolutely loved it but the tyre physics are too innacurate to keep me interested anymore.

Id love Watkins Glen in LFS. Got pole there in UKGPL Div1 in the Ferrari one season and got taken out by a Lotus on the first lap Fought back up to 3rd then disconnected.
Fine then bitches :P lol

Well how about changing the 4 sec rule to 5? Not for my benefit cos I have always been inside 2 seconds, but at some tracks, it's more about consistency than damn right speed.
Qualy: I think the one lap solution would be very exiting! Mixed Grid etc, the reasons are all above...

Race: In the last OWRL F1 Season the strategything was very different from other series, sometimes 3 stops were better, sometimes 2 stops. This was fun. Otherwise theres nearly no strategy if everyone has to pit only once. If the races are under 300km there will be no big strategydifference.

SC: I took part in the last 2 rounds of LFSCART. In my opinion the SC stays out too long. The Effect was cold tyres and boredom... Do we need SC???? IN LFS theres no debries on the track, if a car lies upsidedown IRL its badly damaged and not able to race anymore. And the SAFETYcar-driver drove very unSAFEly... It was more like an UNSAFETYcar, haha, not very realistic.
Quote from Matze78 :Qualy: I think the one lap solution would be very exiting! Mixed Grid etc, the reasons are all above...

Race: In the last OWRL F1 Season the strategything was very different from other series, sometimes 3 stops were better, sometimes 2 stops. This was fun. Otherwise theres nearly no strategy if everyone has to pit only once. If the races are under 300km there will be no big strategydifference.

SC: I took part in the last 2 rounds of LFSCART. In my opinion the SC stays out too long. The Effect was cold tyres and boredom... Do we need SC???? IN LFS theres no debries on the track, if a car lies upsidedown IRL its badly damaged and not able to race anymore. And the SAFETYcar-driver drove very unSAFEly... It was more like an UNSAFETYcar, haha, not very realistic.

The series trys to be as close to F1 as possible......hence the SC
Quote from Matze78 :Qualy: I think the one lap solution would be very exiting! Mixed Grid etc, the reasons are all above...

True, it could be cool. But should the 4 sec cutoff rule be scrapped then?

Personally I'd like to see how the current F1 (q1+q2+q3) would work.
Quote :

... but no one wants to have longer races What good does different strategy options do if there are no racers.
Quote :

I wouldn't know about the penultimate round since I skipped it cause of work the next day. But generally the problems with sc have been

1) The safety car driver went a-wall
2) No-one replaced him so it was up to last minute stand ins
3) The race director ordered teh sc to wait at the end of the pitlane -> extremely cold tyres (... at least in my case... which was some iirc in r5)
4) The racers' hitting each other behind sc

Oh, one thing I would like to see: I'd like the teams to have 'fixed' setups. Maybe only the same set for quali and race, but I'd even extend it to several races. I know, it wouldn't make the aliens any slower and the n00bs any faster, but it would even out team performance because of the importance of setup work. And imagine how exited Michael would be when he'd get the chance to analyze the handling of 'different' cars on different tracks live-on-air.

(and yes, I know no one else than me would want that.. it's merely my idea to add to the realism)

Everything exept one lap will be good. Im sure we would all regret that rule and im still suggesting 15-25 min of qualy. Same with race and qualy time/distance - it would be good to equalize both depending on track.
Yeh, wait a go to create maximum chaos, like qualifying is there for a reason, its used so people of the same capabilities at that track are situated close together at the start. By doing that, yes you get exciting starts but at what cost 3 or 4 people going out of the race that wouldn't have otherwise?
If we tried to do F1 Q1 Q2 Q3, it wouldn't work, because we don't have 20 drivers. It may work if we used driver contracts and got a big grid, but other wise, leave quali
i seen some of the previous races, and drivers use the Traction Control
it could be rapturous to deletion TC From the races like FIA provision
Not with these lags and unexperienced drivers. Btw, i like driving with no TC but it wont work
Quote from Garfild12 :.............
Not with these lags and unexperienced drivers. Btw, i like driving with no TC but it wont work

don't judge on the lags sometimes the connection to mideast/asia is faster then from germany to poland
You've got me :biggrinfl
IIRC I had some lag to the server that I ran in the next room... Lag Is a weird bitch
From a guy who studies this:

Lag generally has nothing to do with distance. It depends on the amount of info, the capabilitiy of the hardware, and network conditions at the time. A 500 metre run could be faster than a run to a computer 50 metres from you. If you're computer's network interface card is slow, your connection will be slow. The network is as slow as it's slowest component in the chain.

Of course, there is always some packet loss introduced in the distance travelled - packet collisions, etc. Don't forget the good saying also, "Fibre Seeking Backhoe."

d
Well, if we had the car physics updated to 2009 specs thats the only time id drive with no TC.
I love driving without TC and can get within a couple of tenths of my TC times without it. Its sometimes easier and quicker in certain corners without TC.

TC turning on during a corner, whilst preventing spinning out, can induce slides that otherwise wouldnt occur with pure throttle control. It sometimes pays to go slightly over the wheelspin limit of your TC preset.

All that said it would be extremely difficult to finish a race distance without it as it alot easier to be consistent with TC. Especially managing tyre temps.

Id enjoy the challenge but there are enough yellow flags and safety cars as it is so would vote against it.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG