The online racing simulator
Visible Wheel Lockup
(22 posts, started )
Visible Wheel Lockup
It would be nice if I could see my front tires lock up under heavy braking (on a formula car, obviously). As it is, I have to rely on the sound to know I've locked up the wheels. In real life, you can see your front tires stop rotating. A small change to the animation could probably accomplish this. Just my $0.02.
Umm you can, the wheels do go round relative to the speed the ground is moving underneath them you know. illepall
My tyres stop rotating when I lock them up... but I never see it, cos I'm concentrating on not crashing
ya what are you talking about lol i can see my wheels stop turning...?
I think he is talking about the open wheelers... because when you lockup the tires in those cars you can hardly see the 'texture' stay still in LFS. It is too bad because movement/animations of textures or what not don't have any special effects, so all we get is the texture acting like it is rotating but no real blurring or whatever... so if you stare at the tire right now while locking up, it is hard to notice. It does stop, but you don't notice the difference from rotating to locking.

If you were to see it in a real open wheeler, you'd see a blurred texture of the tire go to a much more visible texture (chewed up rubber) while locking them up.
Yeah, some artificial blurring would be nice for the tyre textures, and I think some ad text ("cromo") on the sidewalls would greatly improve the perception of a locked wheel too.
Yeah, I agree there could be some improvement in this area. Good example of where "eye candy" can actually add to the realism and feel of the game.
Agreed on sidewall logos, but I still maintain it'll be harder to implement than we think - what with the tyres deforming with load an' all.
I don't think it's all that hard to tell when your wheels lock up. Be it open wheelers or anything else. You can tell with anything else by the feedback in the wheel, and on the open wheelers you can see the grain on the wheels when they are locked. Plus you can't turn when they are locked up. Which is always a good way to find out when you're going into a corner
Quote from tristancliffe :Agreed on sidewall logos, but I still maintain it'll be harder to implement than we think - what with the tyres deforming with load an' all.

hows that? its just a texture

right now eric just has the mapping flat, thats why it looks streched on the sidewalls, all he has to do is reset the mapping on those and put a texture on it; less than half an hours' work
yeah its just a texture so its no different from bending the bodywork. the tyres look horrible IMO so im usually checking the mirror for smoke when braking.
You could always just put markings on your tyres so you can tell when they stop spinning.
ya but thats unreal.. they chalk tires to know which direction the tires go on, but that stuff comes off in just a few seconds
Having logos on the sidewalls does look nice. Netkar has it and it just makes lock ups nicer... i think. It would help newbies more aswell I guess.
Agreed. Blurring and other difficult things not needed, just some text/logo on the sidewalls.
Quote from XCNuse :hows that? its just a texture

right now eric just has the mapping flat, thats why it looks streched on the sidewalls, all he has to do is reset the mapping on those and put a texture on it; less than half an hours' work

Well the car bodies are polygons, which are easily mapped.
The tyres are made from vector lines, and so I just assumed they'd be harder to map a texture onto convincingly. I've never noticed any texture on the sidewalls yet, let along a poorly mapped one... But I don't look often, so I'm probably wrong - I just see blackness (on the walls, not everywhere).

Please bear in mind that I can only do solid models in AutoCad, and textures have yet to come anywhere near my work, so I know little to nothing about them...
Quote from bobvanvliet :Agreed. Blurring and other difficult things not needed, just some text/logo on the sidewalls.

thats a pretty good idea; having some type of writing on the sidewalls of racing cars.
ookay nevermind then; then obviously they dont have any mapping.. but either way it wouldnt be hard to implement at all
I remember at one point in time it did.. i think it was the S2 alpha cmx viewer
Quote from AndroidXP :Yeah, some artificial blurring would be nice for the tyre textures, and I think some ad text ("cromo") on the sidewalls would greatly improve the perception of a locked wheel too.

Nit picking, but aren't they Evostars in S2? The Cromo tyres were in S1 IIRC. But I do agree, some sidewall text would be really nice, but I think it would look good on the race cars only. Not very many road vehicles have white letter tyres, and those that do are mainly trucks, at least here. However pretty much any racecar has lettering on the tyres, for advertising more than anything else.
cromo on the street cars, and evostar for the race cars; have it like

EVO * STAR in like yellow for GTR and formulas, and cromo in white on the street cars

.. or something like that lol get tweak in here, he'll come up with a good graphic design for it
ermm just wondering. way off topic this. Was just having a browse through the dds folder, loaded up the TYRE.dds file where it has the tyre textures but i was wondering where is the texture for the side walls of the tyre? in game when i change the slick texture tirewalls stay the same so either theres a seperate file or you cannot edit them...

cheers

*edit
lol after reading the thread again and not skipping tsome post kinda answers my question.. doh!

mad
lol

Visible Wheel Lockup
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG