The online racing simulator
#51 - SamH
It's as random as computers get, which isn't actually very random. It changes track roughly every 2.5hrs on a populated server and it changes track as the last person leaves, ready for when new people join.

It's a common misconception that random means that everything will happen equally. That isn't true.. only that everything has an equal chance of happening. As everyone knows, things that have a 1 in a million chance of happening will happen 9 times out of 10.
Yes but how can you be sure it is exactly one in a million and not say one in ninehundredninetyninethousandninehundredninetynine?
Is it actually possible for it to pick the same track again?

Or is that not possible?
#54 - SamH
That's the one thing that it won't do. As long as it has more than one track to choose from, it won't select the same one as it's leaving
Quote from SamH :It's as random as computers get, which isn't actually very random.

Well that certainly seems to be right. The last couple of days, every time I check the SS servers they're running bloody South City Sprint tracks. This is usually somewhere during the evening as that's when I've got time to race, but it gives me the impression that that's the only bloody track those servers are running, and I can't for the life of me grasp why anyone would want to run them. I am actually beginning to hate those tracks with a passion just because they seem to be on each time I want to get some racing in :banghead:

Argh, I'm so annoyed now...

I think that on Race 1 it should first randomly choose a "theme" (like FE, SO, or BL) and then within the theme randomly choose a layout, like 1, 2, 1R, 3 etc.

It would make the track lottery way better, atleast in my opinion.
Quote from daKasi :I think that on Race 1 it should first randomly choose a "theme" (like FE, SO, or BL) and then within the theme randomly choose a layout, like 1, 2, 1R, 3 etc.

It would make the track lottery way better, atleast in my opinion.

What would be the difference to how it is done now?
Quote from zeugnimod :What would be the difference to how it is done now?

Imagine a track list, where you have like 15 tracks.

BL1
BL2
FE1
FE2
FE3
FE4
FE5
FE6
FE7
FE8
FE9
FE10
FE11
SO1
SO2

as you can see, if you randomly pick one of the tracks, it is much more likely FE than BL or SO. As there really are more SO tracks than BL tracks, you are much more likely to be driving SO than BL.

But if you first pick a theme, it is a 33% chance to be BL, 33% chance to be FE and 33% chance to be SO.
#59 - SamH
I don't want a 15% chance of BL2 though.
Quote from SamH :I don't want a 15% chance of BL2 though.

Or how about giving popular tracks a better chance to be chosen?
I think every track should have the same chance of being raced. If that means there will be more races on SO, then so be it.
#62 - SamH
Define what constitutes a popular track, though.

As things are right now, each track that is available on Race 1 has an equal chance of being selected and I would need a compelling argument for that to change. Each track has its strengths and weaknesses and all of the tracks, I feel, should stand an equal chance of being played.

I already have a "to do" on my list to drop limited grid tracks at SO City during busy periods, but that's a practical change to ensure that as many people as possible, that choose to, can play at all times.

To change the way tracks are selected now, I would need to be convinced that there is a fault with the way it works now and that the change would be an improvement. I'm all for improvements but I'm not so keen on implementing flat changes.
That's sort of how it works though. From my recollection it picks a track randomly from the list using marseinne twist, but if the track it picks is from is in the same circuit environment as the current track then it will pick another one. It's been a while though and Sam has tinkered a lot. Theoretically however, there is more chance of BL1 than say an SO track where SO has numerous configs and BL just the one/two.

This is different to pre-X system where the selection was just randomly picked from the list so weighting a circuit by listing it twice was used, I did it this way for something relating to layout loading which was introduced for the BnJ server, if I remember rightly the system reads off the 'track loaded' message to detect when it is able to specify the next step of loading the track (track, layout, weather) and I had to ensure this message was always given. There are other ways of course, anything is possible, but this is the route I chose.
I looked for Race 3 of SO6R, but never could find one.

I search for Race 3, South Citry and % %
http://www.raceauthority.com/m ... ck=_SO&OnDate=%25+%25

Then did a Ctrl+F find on SO6R and nothing returned. Has this track ever been run in Race 3? We tried it out the other night on a LOTA server with XFR and its a blast.

I couldn't find a lap record for any cars besides:
XRT, XRG, XFG, RB4, FXO.

No Race 3 or SS3 cars.

It is listed in Race 3 and SS3 as a track in rotation.

I for one would really like to race this track in Race 3.

BL1_Standard
SO5_Standard
SO6_Standard
FE2_Standard
FE3_Standard
KY2_Standard
WE1_Standard
AS3_Standard
AS7_Standard
BL1R_Standard
SO5R_Standard
SO6R_Standard
FE2R_Standard
FE3R_Standard
KY2R_Standard
WE1R_Standard
AS3R_Standard
AS7R_Standard
SO4_Standard
FE4_Standard
KY3_Standard
AS4_Standard
AS5_Standard
AS6_Standard
SO4R_Standard
FE4R_Standard
KY3R_Standard
AS4R_Standard
AS5R_Standard
AS6R_Standard
#65 - SamH
You're right, SO6R was missing out of the list. It's now added into the rotation
Quote from SamH :You're right, SO6R was missing out of the list. It's now added into the rotation

...and I will make a poor attempt to hold my first track record! J/K

Thanks Sam.
Why couldn't we have fe5 in CTRA 1, and some rallycross tracks in CTRA 2? It's actualy very difficult to find some clean rallycross servers, so I'd love to see more rallycross races in CTRA.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Why couldn't we have fe5 in CTRA 1, and some rallycross tracks in CTRA 2? It's actualy very difficult to find some clean rallycross servers, so I'd love to see more rallycross races in CTRA.

There used to be, they just got vote ended pretty much every time.
#69 - VoiD
Quote from greybull [cha] :...it's Actualy Very Difficult To Find Some Clean Rallycross Servers, So I'd Love To See More Rallycross Races In Ctra.

Quote from bean0 :there Used To Be, They Just Got Vote Ended Pretty Much Every Time.

+1 :d
#70 - VoiD
A few minutes ago on Race3:

Track changed from KY3 to SO2 and after voting back again to KY3. Very anoying...
Hehe welcome to random =)

What is the chance of that happening? 1:50 or so?
I'm sure it's documented somewhere, but I can't remember exactly how it gets a new track.

If it's completely random, then it's just 1/number of tracks on Race 3, i.e 1/30 according to above list.

You're just as likely to get that happening as to get any specific track you want.

If it did it by selecting a track, then a combo (which, having just re-read the thread i don't think it does it this way), is 1/6 (6 'environments') x 1/4 (4 combos) = 1/24.
#73 - VoiD
I think we should have all possible tracks in SS1. No we dont have SO6R? FE4-FE4R? BL1R? FE1? dont know if its there or not. And some big as tracks.

And when its random it doesnt seem like it because you get same tracks everytime

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG