The online racing simulator
2009 Suggested Improvements
Hello all !

What sorts of things would you like to see changed for next year ? What would you like to see stay the same ? What sorts of tracks did you like ? Which did you not like ? Would you like to see longer races ? Same ? What else ?

Open to all ideas.

Already known suggestions
- Later/different start times

d
#2 - J@tko
New Race Director.

Oh wait....
Wich I'd say: If LFSCART is the GP2 of oneGP (at least sort of in the NDR ranking) then oneGP should do abit longer races (300km like in real life?) I'd also suggest, that the season should not have too many races... I mean extending it wouldn't be such a good move, as we had some problems with the amount of drivers at some rounds. Tracks that I would suggest:

KY2r
WE1r
SO5
BL1
SO4r
FE4
AS3r
KY3r
FE3r
AS7
(BL1r)
(FE2r)
(WE1)
(KY2)

And I'd like to see a season opening firework like @ Dubai for this hotel on The Palm

Also I'd suggest to highlight the Team Championship a bit more

EDIT: But please... don't introduce standard engines, KERS or even medals instead of Points
Quote from TFalke55 : But please... don't introduce standard engines, KERS or even medals instead of Points

How bout narrower rear wings and slictyres?

And some dude with bucketloads of money to fund prizes.
#5 - J@tko
Quote from hyntty :And some dude with bucketloads of money to fund prizes.

Joe Ellis!!!

And get him to get loads of money from the owners of the Kyoto Ring, and then divorce his 12 year old wife, giving her most of his money
Quote from hyntty :And some dude with bucketloads of money to fund prizes.

well... to be serious... that's no bad idea... if we could get some sponsorships like STCC had we can do something similar to the concorde agreement... maybe the Hawk or Eagle or Falcon Agreement. And the Team Leaders would be responsible for sharing the money within their team, considering the Team - Driver Contracts. Prizes are definatly something wich would attract also the more professional drivers.

also: Increasing max Grid size to 24/maximum teams to 12 (as is the max Grid size/amount of teams in F1)

about qualifying... I'd think of something own: Maybe Superpole in the old F1 format: First run through it in reversed sequenz driver's ranking and Second run in reserved sequenze to the First run's results. The addition of both runs will be make the starting line-up If the races are made longer (to my suggested 300km), then we should do a longer pause (Warm Up Session for the others) of 10 minutes.

one BIG Improvement Suggestion: please change the name format to [No] [F.Surname]
-> about numbers: just to stay as realistic as possible... depending on this season's results:
Hibby gets Starting Number 1
FRO gets 1&2 (if Hibby leaves the team 0&2)
SR 3&4
AA 5&6
AMD 7&8
1stBFA 9&10
Pharaos 11&12
Rising Phoenix 14&15
Traffic Cops 16&17
FLP 18&19
Racing X 20&21
GWR 22&23
Martini 24&25
---CUT---

EDIT: If we want to get much action on the track for a broadcast we could use the new discussed F1 Qualifying Format. It sounds very interesting, and I think it could make the oneGP coverage very Exciting

EDIT2: We should close the servers one hour before the Event. Then we set the qual to 30mins... and the two resulting sessions can be published as free training sessios
As someone that kinda knows how is it to race in such races I think that races shouldnt be that long, I mean come on. 50 laps at So long Rev was 200 km. And it took 1h 10 min so it would be 2 hours of sitting on this freeking seat if it was 300 km. I dont fancy getting so much F1 like, anyway we are 2 years behind now. Im not saying that i'm afraid about my concentration or anything but after 1h of racing its about clear and ussually 1 pitstop strategy is always the best.
But races might be 1h 30min max!!!! 1h-1h30 is bearable.
As i know OWRL is like 300 km or something?? Offcourse it makes races more realistic, beacause or more pistops but we are not McLaren's and Ferrari's and ussually best ones are sorted off already.

Big omisison for me was that it was for example 38 laps at WE int and 38 at AS North - same amount of laps and 5.2 km per lap but 1:12 for WE and 1:29 for AS NOrth. You cant set a race only looking on the distance because of big time differences of whole race. I rather suggest that in uncomming season it should be aproximately setted for time spent on track 1h-1h10 thats ok. So it wont be like 1h10 min for SO Long Rev and 46 min for WE Int.
Quote from TFalke55 :
one BIG Improvement Suggestion: please change the name format to [No] [F.Surname]

Not a bad Idea- I'll be more MoE like probably
well okey i take the 300km idea back... additionally even the FIA wants to reduce the race distance to 1h30min so... hmm
it is also better for the coverage xD sry but I'm just sticking with it having a good coverage...
For me: Change races to UK sunday evenings. Spend all week at work sat infront of a computer dont want to spend my precious saturday afternoons doing it also when I could be out playing football or golf. Or keeping the GF happy.

The race distance is fine I think. Any longer would be unnecessary. Its fairly obvious who has done the best job after an hour.

After a crash and ensuing SC period cars should be given a shorter time to shift/s recover to track and/or pits. We've spent more than 5 laps at a time behind SC on numerous occasions (including my own demise at AS North Rev which I apologise for). SC periods have often been carnage and should be shortened as much as possible as well as drivers taking alot more care (myself included).

SC driver also needs to be reasonably on the ball IE lapping on the racing line comfortably within 4/5s of WR. Going off the track and lapping too slow compounds the BF1 tyre cooling problems and causes more accidents as people try to warm their tyres (guilty as charged).

Quote from Garfild12 :
But races might be 1h 30min max!!!! 1h-1h30 is bearable.

Big omisison for me was that it was for example 38 laps at WE int and 38 at AS North - same amount of laps and 5.2 km per lap but 1:12 for WE and 1:29 for AS NOrth. You cant set a race only looking on the distance because of big time differences of whole race. I rather suggest that in uncomming season it should be aproximately setted for time spent on track 1h-1h10 thats ok. So it wont be like 1h10 min for SO Long Rev and 46 min for WE Int.

I agree with this. Races shouldnt be decided on distance alone. Laptimes should be considered also.

F1 races run on a 300km/2hr format IE whichever is achieved sooner. The SC periods that took up half the race at FE Black rev made a race intended to be about an hour into 1h40 IIRC. Maybe a time cut off should be introduced at 1h15 or 1h20 at which point the race positions are decided.

Any ideas for new race season start yet? Hopefully before new F1 season!
I really like the longer races. OWRL did 300km at SO Long and it was an absorbing race to drive in as the strategies played out - even if it was 1hr 45min! There is no point in both series going for exactly the same rules though.

Don't be tempted to do Super-Pole. Extremely boring for drivers and spectators. Don't make it too complicated - a simple standard session will suffice.
I think the race distance was fine, but maybe tack on an extra 25km (225 km race distance) or so to maybe bring in an extra bit of pit strategy incase someone can't do the race with just one stop (as in, needing 200% or more fuel during the race).

I'm thinking making Qualifying an hour long session. The hour can be used however you want. Take 45 laps, take 3. I've tossed the idea about in my head to do qual the evening before, to give everyone extra time to prepare for "race." If this idea is a bust, then make qual 40 minutes long, then a 20 minute break between end of qual and race. The 20 minutes would then be used as a "warm up" With grid lines either on track by default or added with AutoX chalk lines, once you were ready, you'd go to your grid spot and park and wait for race, taking a john break or somesuch, providing you were on grid and parked at 4 minutes till go. After that, you start from pitlane. No worries on engine shutting off, I'd do /restart anyway. The warmup would start about 16 minutes until race time (give all cars chance to return to pits/break). This latter idea would give some time to get used to race trim, take a break, stretch before the race. It would also give the broadcast some time to set up before the race.

I'm also next season going to enforce driver contracts. Terms will likely be season long for primary drivers, but reserve/test drivers may come and go as they please, but must be contracted as such a driver, and with start and end times.

I'm thinking of starting the 2009 campaign in mid-March, shortly after NDR's Kyoto 250 is run. Most rounds will be on same weekend as LFSCART, but on Sundays, with LFSCART on Saturdays. This allows people to run in both, and have ample time to practice for both and inbetween. At least, so I think. I believe Falke has told me (if memory serves) that OWRL is going to try to not conflict with LFSCART, so if we double the two series up (oneGP and LFSCART), that should reduce conflicts. Because of June being the Big NDR Oval Month, there will be an extra week between two rounds, and oneGP running on the weekend between LFSCart Kyoto Speedweeks and Kyoto 500 Qualifying Weekend. Then there will be a three week break, so that NDR and I may focus all efforts on the Kyoto 500. This also allows some of you to participate in the Kyoto 500. Then when LFSCART has its next round after the 500, oneGP will have another race. The Kyoto 500 counts for points for LFSCART, so they will have that going on.

These are just some random thoughts as I get ready for bed. Look forward to your opinions on this matter.

d
Quote from tenmantaylor :

After a crash and ensuing SC period cars should be given a shorter time to shift/s recover to track and/or pits. We've spent more than 5 laps at a time behind SC on numerous occasions (including my own demise at AS North Rev which I apologise for). SC periods have often been carnage and should be shortened as much as possible as well as drivers taking alot more care (myself included).

SC driver also needs to be reasonably on the ball IE lapping on the racing line comfortably within 4/5s of WR. Going off the track and lapping too slow compounds the BF1 tyre cooling problems and causes more accidents as people try to warm their tyres (guilty as charged).

I Absolutely agree with this. SC periods always took too long, I do not look from a admin race point of view but 2-3 laps were enough, any longer made me nervous ;P
Same with SC intelf, I dont remember the round but the driver ( maybe pearcy_k2k) drove like drunk.... I dont like being so strict but it didnt look "appropriately " in least strick words You cant make a serious F1 league with that unfortunately.

Deko: plz consider whole race distances - its easy to find an average laptime and make it about 1h15 for example; probably even with SC it wont make big difference between round. We might make quick voting to check who wants what.
LAst word about tracks; plz DONT CHOOSE those were suspention wont stand 10 laps; that is FE GOld REv(maybe some more) where curbs are 1 m high and going into last chicane kills suspention right away; i think that was a bit of probelm last season in some other races taking the attention from driving to keeping suspention alive.
Quote from Garfild12 :LAst word about tracks; plz DONT CHOOSE those were suspention wont stand 10 laps; that is FE GOld REv(maybe some more) where curbs are 1 m high and going into last chicane kills suspention right away; i think that was a bit of probelm last season in some other races taking the attention from driving to keeping suspention alive.

That's just another skill to learn. I've managed a 300km race at Aston North without fixing the damage from the chicane
AS North was ok :P just avoid that FE GOld REv
Sunday mornings will be an issue for me as well. Same goes for people like Woozy, Taha and Dek who will have to be up at 3am in the morning or around then. Sunday evening's seem more suitable, I am only available from 5pm GMT onwards on any given Sunday.

But yeah Dek, I do think extending qually to an hour will be a major improvement. As a result, drivers will actually be able to get their desired laptime, rather than being under pressure, and only being able to complete 3 or 4 laps within a 25 minute period. If people think an hour is too long, then join after 35 mins of qually!

I also agree with Paul regarding SC. Driving with ice cube tyres at a track like SO is madness.
Quote from dekojester :At least, so I think. I believe Falke has told me (if memory serves) that OWRL is going to try to not conflict with LFSCART, so if we double the two series up (oneGP and LFSCART), that should reduce conflicts.

yep... but LFSCART runs on the weekend OWRL F1 runs We agreed to try avoiding a OWRL Div A / LFSCART clash, as both use same car.
Maybe we gain some BF1 enthusiastic from OWRL F1 due to the change to sunday. So one day this series, other day that
... What possible reason is there that both owrl and ndr seasons must last for nine years and be at the same time? I guess it's just me who thinks that.
Seeing as i'm primarily a cruiser, and have no idea what on earth you are all talking about with NDR 500 and Oval month and LFSKarting and whatnot, i'd just though i'd add my 2 cents to THIS.

I like the idea of longer quali, and driver contracts. I think that would give people more time to get in an unpressured lap, and also get some dedication from people (contracts).
I'm not much for the idea of races on sunday's, as thats generally when i like to be relaxing and just preparing for mondays, plus i also have football games on sunday afternoons, which would take priority over LFS.

I'll post some suggestions as to tracks.

With the Safety Car, i think it should be faster, as i saw the chaos at SO in the last round, and it wasn't good :/

Also, for race starts, i like the idea of making everyone be on their grid slot before the race starts, as i think that it would add realism.
Quote from Davidos93 :Seeing as i'm primarily a cruiser, and have no idea what on earth you are all talking about with NDR 500 and Oval month and LFSKarting and whatnot, i'd just though i'd add my 2 cents to THIS.

LFSCART (with "C" ) is a series founded by me, now run as New Dimension Racing Event. The Kyoto 500 is an Oval Event by New Dimension Racing. Both events are using the Formula V8 (FO8)
What ^ said.

2009 Kyoto 500 is June 27th
Quote from robybobey :
But yeah Dek, I do think extending qually to an hour will be a major improvement. As a result, drivers will actually be able to get their desired laptime, rather than being under pressure, and only being able to complete 3 or 4 laps within a 25 minute period. If people think an hour is too long, then join after 35 mins of qually!

I dont agree with an idea of 1 hour of qualy;
-For me it would be just another hour of racing
-It wont prove who can do his best in some sort of pressure of time; which is major skill in my opinion; go quick when you need too
-It is already sorted out after like 30 min i think
-25 min is ok
-" If people think an hour is too long, then join after 35 mins of qually!" - that's not an argument :P
-Maybe im not right beacause I'm just a NOOB :F
Quote from Garfild12 :I dont agree with an idea of 1 hour of qualy;

Boris you don't actually have a point there. So what if the quali is 30 minutes longer? There's nothing preventing you from joining in the middle of the session. Besides, it'd be valuable practise time with your rivals. I highly doubt that you never practise

Oh and for that "do a lap when it's needed thing": The old single lap F1 format would be suitable for Boris in that case. But it doesn't work in driving sims.
I agree with Boris. It is a skill in itself to push a lap when you have only limited time to do it.

In OWRL F1 last season because of the way the qually rules worked you would tend to get 1 shot at the lap. Much better for broadcast coverage if it is condensed to 10 or 15 minutes than watching a tedious hour of hotlapping.

1 hour also reduces the chances of mixed grids as the quickest will have more chances to be quick and that can reduce the action in the race. Much better to have the possibility that a championship favourite screws up their 2 chances of a lap and have to start near the back.

I can't think of one good reason to have a one hour session.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG