The online racing simulator
F1 championship medals instead of points...
(I don't think this is a repost. If it is, my apologies:shy

Not sure what I think of this... Bernie Ecclestone wants to get rid of current points system in favor of gold/silver/bronze medals (like the Olympics). This would essentially put the midfield out of contention. The championship could be won only by winning races. Makes sense, I guess.

read about it here.
Sorry, it's a repost
#3 - wild
Yes it will in a way. They should really apply this in 2010 when there introducing there "standard" engines.

I think the Constructors Championship will still be decided by points if I'm not wrong about that.

I like the idea but not really for Formula 1. F1 needs to be its own sport. It doesn't have to be an olympic games event.
Quote from tristancliffe :Sorry, it's a repost

darn darn darn darn:bananadea:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Where? I searched! Honest!
Quote from ultrataco :The championship could be won only by winning races.

IMHO, that's the way it should be. Winning a championship by running in a reserved 5th place is utterly boring. Without victories, championships should be impossible.

I say winners get 40 points, second place gets 20, 3rd gets 10. Give the victor a bonus.
Quote from MAGGOT :IMHO, that's the way it should be. Winning a championship by running in a reserved 5th place is utterly boring. Without victories, championships should be impossible.

I hated the idea at first, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

Quote from MAGGOT :I say winners get 40 points, second place gets 20, 3rd gets 10. Give the victor a bonus.

I like that idea better.
I support it if there are half of race is in rain day~~~
I think a proper awarding points system is THE only way to have a proper championship. Let's take this to the extreme

We have 20 races in a season. Let's say a driver gets lucky and bags a win in the wet and achieves 1 gold medal. In every other race they finish in last place. You then get a driver who finishes 2nd in every single race. The driver who got a lucky win would place higher than the guy who managed to bag a load of silvers. So you can place 19 positions ahead in EVERY RACE except 1 and in the end the gold medal winner would finish higher in the table even though they 'lost' 19 races out of 20???? How is this logical?

This medal thing really isn't thought out. The reason we have a poitns system is so that you can find the best drivers overall over x amount of Grand Prix.

I think a re-think on how the points are dished out is needed. How about this for a 'wild' idea

1. 20
2. 10
3. 7
4. 5
5. 4
6. 3
7. 2
8. 1

The points system in MotoGp never stopped anyone racing for victory! In fact its never been a problem in 90% of other motorsports!
#9 - JJ72
actually what's wrong with the old system:

I think it is better to let more car get points.
it can make someone who was droped down can still get some points

1. 20
2. 15
3. 12
4. 10
5. 9
6. 8
7. 7
8. 6
9. 5

Highest climber:2
fastest lap:1
Quote from JJ72 :actually what's wrong with the old system:

The current points system was brought in to help the lesser teams, so that dominant teams couldn't just run away with the championship early in the season (particularly Ferrari, when they would just swap whoever was leading with Schumacher if he was in second place). But I agree it's bollocks.

They need to make a win worth more. If anything keep the current points system down to 8th place but give the winner 12 points. So we avoid the comparisons with the olympic games and instead look like the other competition that gives 12 points as maximum. Eurovision!
Quote from scania :
Highest climber:2
fastest lap:1

I think extra bonuses like that would be good.

I also think constructors points should be taken away for mechanical failures.
More incentive for higher places (i.e. bigger gaps between 1st, 2nd, 3rd) and a point for fastest lap would be much better than any medal system. It makes no sense. There used to be a point awarded for fastest lap back in the day.
We could award American points. First place is 1000000 points, and last place just 800000 points. Plus one for fastest lap.
Well I think we need more points, I would like to see a points system similar to that in MotoGP. That way these great midfield battles are not worthless, but I do agree that wins need to have a greater reward than they currently do.
Go with the MotoGP points IMO. Allows for more emphasis on winning and placing high but also gives an incentive to gain the extra place most of the way down the grid. With points/medals only awarded to the top 3-5 placers all the rest wouldn't bother racing each other

MotoGP Points

1st: 25 points
2nd: 20 points
3rd: 16 points
4th: 13 points
5th: 11 points
6th: 10 points
7th: 9 points
8th: 8 points
9th: 7 points
10th: 6 points
11th: 5 points
12th: 4 points
13th: 3 points
14th: 2 points
15th: 1 point

Interestingly 2008 WDC would have ended up like this with the MotoGP scoring (change compared to actual placing):

Hamilton: 268 (+0)
Massa : 258 (+0)
Kubica : 217 (+1)
Kimmi : 216 (-1)
Heidfeld : 197 (+1)
Alonso : 188 (-1)
Heikki : 171 (+0)
Trulli : 124 (+1)
Vettel : 118 (-1)

No change in the overall winner but some interesting swaps further down the list.
This idea makes me wonder what all the teams other than Ferrari, Mclaren, BMW and Renault will be competing for next year seeing as none of the other teams are likely to finish any races on the podium.
Quote from tristancliffe :We could award American points. First place is 1000000 points, and last place just 800000 points. Plus one for fastest lap.

American points? I don't get it. Video game points, maybe.

Quote from lizardfolk :This isn't NASCAR :P

Thank goodness for that.

Quote from Gentlefoot :This idea makes me wonder what all the teams other than Ferrari, Mclaren, BMW and Renault will be competing for next year seeing as none of the other teams are likely to finish any races on the podium.

exactly
Quote from ultrataco :American points? I don't get it. Video game points, maybe.

This year the F1 drivers championship was won with 98 points, Nascar with 6684. Notice how one system favours simplicity whilst the other just produces big numbers because they impress people who can't count?
#21 - JJ72
i am all against more point earning positions, why? F1 is elitist, and it should be, score system like V8 supercar or most touring car series are they to encourage mid field battles, it works for them, but F1 should be about outright wins, it pushes everyone to aim for the top.
Quote from JJ72 :i am all against more point earning positions, why? F1 is elitist, and it should be, score system like V8 supercar or most touring car series are they to encourage mid field battles, it works for them, but F1 should be about outright wins, it pushes everyone to aim for the top.

I don't think teams and drivers will be any more motivated to go for wins with this system.
Quote from Intrepid :I don't think teams and drivers will be any more motivated to go for wins with this system.

V8 su[per cars system is even worse then what is now, rick kelly i belive won the title in 06 by not even winning a race.

Plus its like Nascar with all the points they get.
Quote from ajp71 :This year the F1 drivers championship was won with 98 points, Nascar with 6684. Notice how one system favours simplicity whilst the other just produces big numbers because they impress people who can't ****?

Oh, ok. I don't watch nascar :dunce: :sleep2:. A quick google search yielded this. It is overly complicated. Though part of the reason there are so many points is because there are 40+ drivers-all of whom get points (meaning a large points spread), and nearly 40 races.

edit (not worth making a new post):
Quote from Car and Driver :"The Chase for the Cup. As near as we can tell, the top 12 drivers after the first 26 races receive 5000 points each. As the remaining races are run, the score matrix is enumerated using differential calculus and a few of the less controversial strands of non-Euclidean geometry to create a Fibonacci sequence that is then fed into an Infinite Improbability Drive, which determines both the series winner and Jeff Gordon’s next pedicure appointment.

Why not use the old CART system?

20-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-3-2-1

Pole: 1
Fastest lap: 1

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG