The online racing simulator
What is this 'cruise' thing?
(101 posts, closed, started )
Quote from AndroidXP :Cruising (d)evolved from "Cops 'n' Robbers", which was originally some kind of pseudo city layout made from barriers on the autocross track, with some people playing police and other robbers that had to get away from them while navigating the barrier-city.

CnR was originally just a normal track with 2 or 3 cop cars with white skins on it and the rest of the cars being robbers with black skins. The robbers had 30 seconds to get away and hide somewhere (the map was turned off obviously), then the cops would start chasing. If a robber was hit by a cop 3 times he became a cop, too. This goes on until nobody is left and the 3 people who survived the longest are the cops in the next round.

The ATC team used to do these CnR nights regularly about 3 years ago. That was so much fun. Kinda sad to see what it became.
Quote from samforey12345 :You obviously know very VERY little about cruise servers then, so i suggest, Shh.

Actually I find his description quite close to what cruise is. The COPs on cruise servers seem to really wanna get in the role, which ends up in choking fines, and no fun at all during the chases.

Seriously if the cops were there other than for getting fines and just here for the fun of chases, why would they then ban people that get too many fines

IMHO, CnR were a lot of fun, challenging, and you could have some intense chases there. Cruising : what's the point of rolling at 50 mph with the UF1 getting money to buy cars that require a lot of time investment, while you can rip them for free (cash+time = 0) on other servers?

For cruising, there's a better simulator for experiencing it. It is called "Real Life". There are a lot of cities, a good enforcement team called the government. The scenery, physics and graphic engine is simply unbeleivable, and the features totally outclass the InSim apps for LFS. It has a natural head tracking, you can dress your driver how you like, and you can also benefit of the command /paysex 0 if you are good enough. Plus, it has a lot of real cars in it ! It also simulates the fear of crashing, and the barriers don't make you fly over the track ! The best stuff is that you start with 0 cars, and you have to drive around the city with your bike or skateboard to begin with...
Then you can pretend to get mopeds, then cars or motorcycles. Even TRUCKS, VANS, TRAILERS !!
There are also realistic tow ropes that can get you out of trouble. And no need to add DDS with subwoofers in it, since your car already possesses a complexe 3D sound model and the most realistic doppler effect. Finally, you CAN add neonz, and drive at night or under the rain.

Isn't it the best cruising simulator ever ?

EDIT : I am not flaming cruisers, they do what they want. It is just that it doesn't interest me
Quote from Zen321 :a good enforcement team called the government.

Although your post was very good, I'm going to have to disagree with you there
Quote from Zen321 :Actually I find his description quite close to what cruise is. The COPs on cruise servers seem to really wanna get in the role, which ends up in choking fines, and no fun at all during the chases.

Seriously if the cops were there other than for getting fines and just here for the fun of chases, why would they then ban people that get too many fines

IMHO, CnR were a lot of fun, challenging, and you could have some intense chases there. Cruising : what's the point of rolling at 50 mph with the UF1 getting money to buy cars that require a lot of time investment, while you can rip them for free (cash+time = 0) on other servers?

You don't know about cruise servers either (or, the good ones.) As i'm sure you know that there are more than one???

And about the rest of your post. I thought the chases were the fun parts????(as we all know there's the great police who put you in jail in real life, and that's aload of fun ain't it??) If real life is so good then why not go and race on a track?
...Cruisers obviously have no sense of humour.

..i've just checked his profile and i discover cruisers have no friends either......

Another reason not to bother.
Quote from samforey12345 :You don't know about cruise servers either (or, the good ones.) As i'm sure you know that there are more than one???

And about the rest of your post. I thought the chases were the fun parts????(as we all know there's the great police who put you in jail in real life, and that's aload of fun ain't it??) If real life is so good then why not go and race on a track?

I have tried Cruise servers. The overall impression is the same for me. I find it pointless and goal less. At least, when racing your goal is to become faster and faster. Can you improve your cruising skills ? Of course you can follow more and more obediently the rules, but is this really attractive ? drifting has a goal to : gain better control of your slides, over and over.

Secondly, try to do cops chases all the time, and you'll end up with no money or kick/ban. When racing or drifting you can do it all the time, without having to sacrifice what you earned with time (money when busted in the cruise servers - but you can't sacrifice your racing/drifting skills).

About real life, maybe people don't go on a track, because it is more expensive than buying LFS + a good controller ? (G25 in my case). Meanwhile, everybody with a drivers' license can cruise IRL.
TBH I tried this cruising thing.
I'm a racer what does plenty of drifting too, but still. It isn't really the thing why I got LFS, but I have to confess that it was fun.
Dunno about the cruise part tho, I drive like a nutter there.

Cruising is a bit pointless, but it is one way to pass time and I don't see why it should be so hated that it seems to be.
Quote from BigPeBe :TBH I tried this cruising thing.
I'm a racer what does plenty of drifting too, but still. It isn't really the thing why I got LFS, but I have to confess that it was fun.
Dunno about the cruise part tho, I drive like a nutter there.

Cruising is a bit pointless, but it is one way to pass time and I don't see why it should be so hated that it seems to be.

Well Idk if you are speaking about me, but I don't hate cruising, my goal is not to start a flame war or to put the shame on cruisers. I was just expressing my opinion, samforey12345 replied to it, and I feel that not answering to his post would be impolite .

I mean, the goal of life for me, is to do enjoyable and thrilling things, and to get better at them. Regarding this description, I don't seem to be able to see any field in where you can get better at cruising or improve "cruising skills".
If someone can explain how, I would be ready and willing to hear his point.
Quote from zeugnimod :CnR was originally just a normal track with 2 or 3 cop cars with white skins on it and the rest of the cars being robbers with black skins. The robbers had 30 seconds to get away and hide somewhere (the map was turned off obviously), then the cops would start chasing. If a robber was hit by a cop 3 times he became a cop, too. This goes on until nobody is left and the 3 people who survived the longest are the cops in the next round.

The ATC team used to do these CnR nights regularly about 3 years ago. That was so much fun. Kinda sad to see what it became.

oh the good ol' days eh..

That reminds me actually.. Quite fancy a 60 lapper soon.. any suggestions?

As for cruising.

It comes as a nice distraction as far as i am concerned. Something to do when you just want to chill but keep your hands busy .

Its kind of like marmite though when you think about it... you either love it or you hate it.
Quote from franky500 :Something to do when you just want to chill but keep your hands busy .

Heh, I can still think of better things to do to keep my hands busy
Quote from Zen321 :Well Idk if you are speaking about me, but I don't hate cruising, my goal is not to start a flame war or to put the shame on cruisers. I was just expressing my opinion, samforey12345 replied to it, and I feel that not answering to his post would be impolite .

I mean, the goal of life for me, is to do enjoyable and thrilling things, and to get better at them. Regarding this description, I don't seem to be able to see any field in where you can get better at cruising or improve "cruising skills".
If someone can explain how, I would be ready and willing to hear his point.

I wasn't really referring to you with the hate part, I just mentioned that it seems to get some hate over itself, like drifting does too.

If cruising in LFS would really mean what it says, cruising (driving within speed limits etc), I would definitely find it boring. What I've seen none there actually drives "nicely".

" It comes as a nice distraction as far as i am concerned. Something to do when you just want to chill but keep your hands busy ."

Very good explanation.
Quote from The Moose :Cruising is where kids that have no racing ability hang out and talk endless garbage. A glorified chat room with cars if you will.:hide:

I like to cruise every now and then, so what? I had many races, curcuit track and oval and i like this cruise thing as some sort of alternative. After all, its up to you if you're capable to make something out of it and who you're driving with. Besides, the response of yours certainly leads me to the impression that you have got a lack of imagination and creativity. But im just guessing here

Quote from AndroidXP :Cruising (d)evolved from "Cops 'n' Robbers", which was originally some kind of pseudo city layout made from barriers on the autocross track, with some people playing police and other robbers that had to get away from them while navigating the barrier-city. Think NFS Hot Pursuit + city layout + superior driving physics + inferior crash physics. This was quite fun as it required skill from both police and robber to navigate the city fast without crashing and losing/not losing the other. This was sometimes accompanied by role playing traffic and innocent drivers and inventing different reasons for why someone was being chased by the police.

Then someone somewhere had the genius idea to remove the chases (read: fun) and call it cruising. Now you can pretend to make your daily mundane virtual drive to work, stand around a bit and earn virtual cash to buy/repair your virtual car. Sounds exciting, huh?

so when exaxtly was it that you've vistited one of them major cruise servers (CLC, LTC)? At least according to your reply, you've never been there at all.

As for me, i had a lot of fun going round with some of my teammates and other people in a train of 5+ cars. Waiting for eachother in case someone crashed out, cruising at "normal" speed, pushing like hell once the tires are up to temperature or getting chased by quite skilled "virtual police officers". Its still oldskool, but not 24/7 and at every single cruise server, unfortunately. Administration is very important as well and i believe the two server mentioned above are doing a very good job in that respect.

Quote from franky500 :
It comes as a nice distraction as far as i am concerned. Something to do when you just want to chill but keep your hands busy .

Its kind of like marmite though when you think about it... you either love it or you hate it.

- i have seen you struggling a little last time you've chased me :P

- thats a +1

Cruising in LFS is the perfect example of thinking outside the box.
I remember before all these cruise servers came along there used to be "Tag" servers. There were no insim mods but there were autocross layouts similar to the cruise layouts. Everyone would have a white car apart from the person who is "on", who has a red car. Everytime the person driving the red car managed to touch a white car, he or she would tag the white car and the person driving the white car would have to pit and change his or her car to red and be "on" aswell, and would join the hunt for the white cars. This would continue until there was only 1 white car who would be the winner.

This was great fun Used to play it for hours with a few others. The server would slowly fill up and become mayhem, it was an absolute blast Haven't seen anything like that since
Those kinds of servers were brilliant, I (vaguely :razz remember them :rolleyes: We had dial-up back then though, so I didn't get to go on very often
Quote from 510N3D :the response of yours certainly leads me to the impression that you have got a lack of imagination and creativity. But im just guessing here

Keep guessing buddy

I have plenty of imagination, that why i can play Flight Sim 2004 for hours on end, pretending i'm doing stuff.

Naa, let me just make it clear, i was only taking the piss in my usual dry and unfunny way. I couldn't care less about Cruise servers tbh. I tried one once when i bought LFS and didnt see the point at all. It was full of kids just talking shite for ages. That was my only experience and was enough to put me off forever. If people enjoy it then go for it

If i want to be chased by the police then i'll go back and play a couple of the old NFS games, or some GTA. They do police chases better than any cruise server.
If LFS actually had a decent free roaming city type map then im positive i would enjoy it.

Until that point i feel time spent on a cruise server is time wasted. I'd rather spend it trying to improve as a racer.

Horses for courses. If people enjoy cruising then their welcome to it.
Quote from 510N3D :so when exaxtly was it that you've vistited one of them major cruise servers (CLC, LTC)? At least according to your reply, you've never been there at all.

I'd never dare to dirty up my race history with stepping a foot on these yucky servers, so no, I never visited them. But I was there in the very beginning when the servers slowly turned to crap with police officers rather banning than chasing, basically when CnR started to be more about roleplaying than actual cops and robbers - this is when I left for good. The rest of this tragedy I gathered from countless cruise related posts on this forum, whether be it the whining of newbies who don't have enough cash to do anything or InSim cruise server examples, etc.

But don't fret, I can perfectly understand your need for a relaxing cruise after all those hard left turns
Quote :
Cruising in LFS is the perfect example of thinking outside the box.

It's a perfect example of thinking like a box.
What is this 'cruise' thing? .......................it's shit
Quote :If people enjoy it then go for it

Pity some people here don't get it and want to make everybody hate cruise
Ah cmon ppl, cruising is really relaxing and you can think bout something while you do it.
And if you dont like it, just dont like it, but dont go to such threads and flame ppl who wanna follow there likes.
-.-
Quote from Zen321 :I have tried Cruise servers. The overall impression is the same for me. I find it pointless and goal less. At least, when racing your goal is to become faster and faster. Can you improve your cruising skills ? Of course you can follow more and more obediently the rules, but is this really attractive ? drifting has a goal to : gain better control of your slides, over and over.

It's not all about following rules in a cruise server. Some of the fun factors of cruising are roadracing. Having to dodge/avoid oncoming traffic whilst driving as fast as possible, the extra traffic makes it more of an adrenaline boost aswell ALSO having to avoid the killer barriers, signs etc is aswell fun. You also have the goal of getting better cars, gaining ranks in the cop system, and cruising in a big 20man+ cruise are all examples of ALOT of fun, but just a change from racing. (But you don't even know about it all, unless you actually try some of the good cruise servers.)
Quote from Zen321 :
Secondly, try to do cops chases all the time, and you'll end up with no money or kick/ban. When racing or drifting you can do it all the time, without having to sacrifice what you earned with time (money when busted in the cruise servers - but you can't sacrifice your racing/drifting skills)..

This is half of the fun of it. If you respectedly get into a chase you WON'T get a kick/ban, you've just got to keep it within reason. (I, personally drive in CLC, and i know this is the case there, i don't know which ones you've tried). The whole point is that you lose money because then you have got to balance the fun with the loss, and therefore getting more adrenaline whilst doing a bank-chase, or even a normal chase, in which you get fined. (again, you won't even know what is is, but its something like having 5 cops chasing you after you've robbed a bank, escaping with a fair bit of money, unless you get caught and fined the amount you tried to steal).
Quote from Zen321 :
About real life, maybe people don't go on a track, because it is more expensive than buying LFS + a good controller ? (G25 in my case). Meanwhile, everybody with a drivers' license can cruise IRL.

I see what you mean, but still my other point stands. Cruising irl, is FAR different from the possiblities you get of other quests in cruise servers.

And I, personally can't have a driving license as I'm only 13, so it's a good substitute. Ha Ha. I am by no means trying to starting a flame war, just saying my points.
Well Android and Moose, i've made my point i guess. Im not here to talk everything nice but at the same time, after all the good times i had over there i tend to ignore most of the downsides. I've made my experiences within the past few years at the CLC & LTC cruise servers (never really tried any other one) while they where improving, and you dont. So i do know what im talking about where apparently, you dont. Forum threads are certainly not going to give you the full picture about that matter and i find it funny that people are still falling for those half-truths.

Quote from AndroidXP :
It's a perfect example of thinking like a box.

I like the irony of this variation, especially in combination with what you've said in this thread all together.

/leaves this thread quietly
Quote from franky500 :That reminds me actually.. Quite fancy a 60 lapper soon.. any suggestions?

I would probably be in if it happens next year. My current PC is kinda broken and won't run LFS but I get a new one by christmas at the latest.

Quote from AndroidXP :It's a perfect example of thinking like a box.

Quote from dougie-lampkin :Heh, I can still think of better things to do to keep my hands busy

You filthy bastard!

Well, in the end of the day it's all down to what the invidual person wants and likes. That's why someone either likes, or hates it, and also why usually the two parts (the ones that likes and the ones that hates) tells that the other is wrong.

I have not much experience from those servers, tho I am banned from at least 2 of them becuase I refused to pay some fine or what it was for driving 101 km'h in a 100 km'h zone.
Either way I see the fun aspect of having something to reach for. As you drive you have in mind that one day you'll have enough to buy the faster cars, and then earn more money and soon you can cruise the fastest car.
But, I would belive the fun was short lived, but it seems to my surpise that it's been something many people enjoys.

My myself I have driven my share of serious racing, and lately I have found a lot of fun in playing Destruction Derby. Usually we have a wicket layout onm Fe1R, that has both wallride, T1 trap and a big jump for the enjoyment, aswell as either XRT only or TBO. Enough of the server - for me this gives a lot of fun, because it's totally...relaxing on some way. Usually I end up sitting with 1 hand on the wheel and 1 hand on the keyboard for the chat. Usually of course it's not much more than "OMFG" " LOLOL" that comes out of the discussions, but for me it's this nice relaxed and fun atmosphere that draws me in And of course, it's fun to be able to get some agression out on the others too, by crashing them.

IIRC I have only kicked 3 people for huge amount of spam, other than that no bans, witch tells that - we don't give a ****. We are there to have fun and laugh at eachothers misfortune when the barriers just did not approve bypassing.

I think this sums it all up, tho I whent pretty much off topic (blame the morning, writing everything that pops into my mind as the brain tries to somewhat activate itself) . A matter of choise and taste. Someone likes that, while other strives to beat those 0.001 seconds on a track, or other personal goals.
#49 - VoiD
I normally cruise, but now im going to back to the good old bump&jump and im going to have a go at ss1 watch out im crap
This thread is closed

What is this 'cruise' thing?
(101 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG