The online racing simulator
God I'm so pissed off!
(46 posts, started )
the most problematic zones in bad weather are the hands and the face, which both are quite hard to cover up. Balaclavas don't really work for me, neither does putting up lot's of fat skin lotion. And I never found gloves that warm your fingers but still allow you to change gears etc.

And concerning the joints: even in a high gear, it's less taxing than running. But then, once you start biking longer distances, you'll rather quickly learn not to use the highest gear possible, but the most comfortable one, unless you want to win a race.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Wear more clothes! Srsly though, if one uses a cycle to commute long distances, appropriate clothing is a must. I cba to cycle in harsh weather, but I'd have thought that a thin insulation layer and something to keep the wind would be sufficient. Tips are welcome

I used to just take off in shorts a tee shirt and light jumper (warm winters here 0 to 5 deg C mornings only) and rip the jumper off after 10mins as I would be getting too hot. The less you wear the faster you want to get there Tried wearing plastic rain coats an such when it was raining but found that there was no point to them as you would be drenched with sweat in no time anyway as they don't breathe, so in wet weather less is better. Just always have a dry clean set at the other end.
Hands I can't say much about because my bike doesn't have those "click" lever shifters, but a really old fashioned push-pull lever at the end of the wire. With that big gloves aren't an issue for me. Face should be fine with a ski mask. It helps the throat too and glasses/goggles if your eyes are sensitive. Personally feeling cold or excessive sweating while cycling in the cold has been the least of my problems.

I hadn't considered that running was that much more taxing on joints, but that's probably because I'd have a coronary after 1km. Good to know though

Quote from Glenn67 :always have a dry clean set at the other end.

I agree, and with regard to the OP as well, I realise arriving at your destination (ever cycled to a job interview in the middle of the summer, sigh..) drenched and stinking of sweat is less than ideal. Having a backpack for a change of clothes will get you less stares
#29 - Osco
get out of bed earlier lazy sod :hide:

/thread
I know how you feel, cant stand it when the Bus drivers are slow. Can't wait until I get a bike and dont have to do the daily bus journey.
Quote from Glenn67 :I used to just take off in shorts a tee shirt and light jumper (warm winters here 0 to 5 deg C mornings only) and rip the jumper off after 10mins as I would be getting too hot.

Same. It's about 2-3 degrees C in the mornings and I'm in shorts, tshirt and woolen gloves. Anything more, even a long sleeve tshirt and I'm drenched in sweat by the time I get to work.
Cycle slower?
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Cycle slower?

That's not an option. When I'm riding my bicycle, I just have to drive faster. I had to ride my bike 25km (2*12,5km) to work, each day. That was for my summertime job though. Whenever I go slow, I can't help but push myself a little harder.
Quote from hrtburnout :That's not an option. When I'm riding my bicycle, I just have to driver fast. I had to ride my bike 25km (2*12,5km) to work, each day. Whenever I go slow, I can't help but push myself a little harder.

yeah it wasn't until my mid 30's before my competitive streak would allow people to remain infornt of me willingly finally I'm cured of that although when people overtake me I remain smug in the knowledge it is only because I let them :hide:
Hehe, can relate to that ^_^
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Cycle slower?

I'm far too impatient for that I'd rather have an extra 5 minutes in bed and ride faster.

The main reason I cycle is that it's far faster than either driving or getting the bus to and from work, and far faster than walking for any journey.
i was considering riding my old school GT powerlite to work to get fit but didnt really think i could manage riding 74k's at this age :P 74k 1 way and return anthor 74
Quote from ColeusRattus :
But that also brings me to your only excuse for not using a bike: biking when it's cold really is awful, and havng been in stockholm last week, I certainly wouldn't want to bike this time of the year.

Pfff...wimp. I'd say it's down to several layers of clothes. First a very thin undergarment that will absord the moisture to next layer which is more thicker insulating layer and after that a layer that keeps the wind cooling you down. Then something to cover your head and ears and nose. Hood in your wind resistant jacket is also very handy. For hands avoid normal gloves because they will leave your fingers separate and cold. I found thick leather gloves with fur inside with two pairs of mittens over them the best, sometimes too warm actually.

Used to do my school trip with bike, really didn't matter weather it was. Of course, it was only like 2 km. But nothing could really keep me from taking the bike at winter time because almost in any conditions it was twice faster than walking. Only things making me walk was if there had been snowing really heavy snow at the night so the roads were knee deep in snow so the tires coudn't actually turn, or if the bike was so frozen it didn't work somehow. Usually didn't have much brakes anyway, but hardly any use when the tires just lock up, if it's not cold (under -12 C) when the snowy roads usually come really sticky. But then you are not going to do that fast anyway because it gets so cold in speed.

If you are planning winter biking, for experience I'd recommend a simple bike. Anything will work, if you keep it dry and bring it inside every now and then. Leaving in to a good gear over night is also a good idea, because waking up late in the morning in a hurry having only the second lowest gear you have sucks.

It's not that fast like in summer, but beats walking.
There's no such thing as 'bad weather'. Only 'the wrong clothes'.
I'd like to see some of you guys biking my work commute (only 20 miles each way...)
Quote from mrodgers :I'd like to see some of you guys biking my work commute (only 20 miles each way...)

If you first do it in a bus.
Quote from Crashgate3 :which would come down 10 or 15 minutes as you got fitter.

Eh? That's an average speed of 37mph...

Does where you cycle have downhills roads that never go uphill again? Or do you cycle on tarmac covered salt plains?

That sort of average speed is impossible where I live... unless you cycle on A roads and Motorways
He meant it goes down BY 10 to 15 minutes, not TO 10 to 15 minutes. Which is perfectly sensible.
Oh

My bad

/facepalm
well i would go home after some time and relax if the bus doesnt come my school is a over an hour with bus away and i have to get up shitlly early everyday and if anyone talks to me when ive just woke up then... i just scream STFU!!!... srsly.. i cant handle trying to communicate that early

God I'm so pissed off!
(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG