The online racing simulator
LFS Crashing!!!
(16 posts, started )
#1 - Ilpav
LFS Crashing!!!
I need some help. LFS is crashing randomly. I'm playing and it the picture freezes, the sound goes into a repeated loop and then my monitor loses signal. Then I have to restart my computer and wait for the freakin disk check to finish!!!

This is starting to get really annoying!

Please help!
#2 - Jakg
Does it do this in any other game?
I got some weeks ago the same problem.. then i just changet Graphic card driver / or deinstaled graphic card and istaled new
Did you change anything in the computer the past two or three days? Did you install new drivers? Has it ever happened outside of lfs?
if you've built the computer yourself you might have to up the RAM voltage to 2.1, this is what happened to mine when i first got it, then all was fine.
i know this is off topic but i want to know why my lfs is crashing when i use car sound remixer online last time it reseted my lfs really would appreciate to get help in this case

greetings skolekaj
Quote from harjun :if you've built the computer yourself you might have to up the RAM voltage to 2.1, this is what happened to mine when i first got it, then all was fine.

Do you know what kind of RAM he is using?
#8 - Ilpav
I haven't made any drastic changes, but this started to happen about a week ago.

Yesterday I installed another game (Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow) and when I try to play it, all I get is the audio from the game (menu works fine, until you start the game) and I have to end the game using the task manager. Then when I try to play it again, I get this message before the game starts up:
Quote :
GetDeviceCaps failed(D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE) on adapter 0.

History: GetDeviceCaps <- UD3DRenderDevice::Init <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

What does that mean? Something wrong with the drivers?
Just try reinstalling your GFX card drivers. Also open the case (while the PC is turned off!) and clean any dust that might have accumulated there.
Quote from Ilpav :I haven't made any drastic changes, but this started to happen about a week ago.

Yesterday I installed another game (Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow) and when I try to play it, all I get is the audio from the game (menu works fine, until you start the game) and I have to end the game using the task manager. Then when I try to play it again, I get this message before the game starts up:

What does that mean? Something wrong with the drivers?

Have you even installed drivers? Looks like fresh WinXP with default VGA driver.
I keep having the same problem too. I play LFS and it just goes black and the computer re-boots. Very strange. I have downloaded the latest drivers for my card. But I'm not a computer expert so help or advice is apreciated.

This is the 'beast' i'm playing with :P And I'm using a G25
Attached images
the beast.jpg
I think I figured out the problem. I noticed this only happens when my AVG anti-virus scan is running. Also when this crash happens my monitor starts to make "cracking" noises before it crashed.

Anyway, do you think the AVG scan takes up so much memory that it disrupts games like this? It only takes up around 69 MB of RAM and I have a total of 1.5 GB.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to reduce the memory usage of my PC? When I look at the task manager processes, I delete such things as "ipod service" and "itunes helper." Are there any other useless programs robbing my system's memory?
#13 - Jakg
I doubt it's running out of memory.

FWIW If you DO want to remove stuff from running, Autoruns and Services.msc will help.
Hmm, I use AVG on 3 machines, two Vista, one XP Pro, and I've had no issues, I even run scans while running LFS, LFS uses very little resources, IMO. It really sounds like a bad driver, or GPU failure. I've had a GPU fail, but still run the desktop, just couldn't run 3D apps. As already said, update drivers, clean out your PC. If that doesn't work, post a dxdiag.
Quote from http://www.answers.com/topic/getdevicecaps :The GetDeviceCaps function retrieves device-specific information about a specified device.

Since all this API call does is retrieve information from your graphics card (drivers), it failing is probably due to the drivers not being able to provide the information. As a solution I'd suggest re-installing (or upgrading) the drivers, first removing the current ones.
Quote from Ilpav :I think I figured out the problem. I noticed this only happens when my AVG anti-virus scan is running. Also when this crash happens my monitor starts to make "cracking" noises before it crashed.

Anyway, do you think the AVG scan takes up so much memory that it disrupts games like this? It only takes up around 69 MB of RAM and I have a total of 1.5 GB.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to reduce the memory usage of my PC? When I look at the task manager processes, I delete such things as "ipod service" and "itunes helper." Are there any other useless programs robbing my system's memory?

I have the same problem on pretty much all my games.

LFS Crashing!!!
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG