The online racing simulator
best gfx card drivers for LFS
(22 posts, started )
I have got the radeon hd2600 pro (agp) I just wondered as there are so many drivers available for these cards, if there were any particular drivers that work best with lfs. I was using the standard ati drivers that were on the cd that came with the card but i kept getting little triangles all over the screen so i am now using the omega 3.8.442 drivers which seem ok but i am still not getting the FPS i was hoping for. I have all ingame AA/AF disabled and have the GFX driver settings with AA/AF on half way but am only getting about 25-30 fps which i thought was a little low really.
yeah im getting 30 fps and 2 days ago i got 0.8 fps
I've just heard of people with similer, and sometimes older cards getting like 60 or 70 fps but i don't know how they do that!
It's not the driver that decides your framerate. It's true that, as time passes, drivers get better and may slightly increase your fps. But, only your 3D settings dictate the actual fps that you will get. The higher settings you run on, the lower your fps. If you set your 3D settings to minimum, you will get 100fps guaranteed. So open up Catalyst Control Center and play with the 3D settings slider. Also, try the latest drivers from http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx first, there have been a lot of improvements since your driver was released. If you don't like them, you can always uninstall them.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :It's not the driver that decides your framerate.

I strongly disagree. I would say that the driver is the most significant factor. If it provides the features the card can support, the program will be fast. If the driver is not well written... well...

"It's not the driver that decides your laptimes..."

And another thing: not only they are a very important performance factor, they are a very important stability factor.

The code that a piece of hardware is executing (in this case, the driver and the program as a whole) is the limiting factor.

if my card can do vertex/fragment shaders, but the driver does not provide the proper arb extensions, i am fscked.
Quote from danthebangerboy :I have got the radeon hd2600 pro (agp)blah

get rid of the omegas. get catalyst 8.9 or 8.10 beta and make sure they are properly installed.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :It's not the driver that decides your framerate. It's true that, as time passes, drivers get better and may slightly increase your fps. But, only your 3D settings dictate the actual fps that you will get. The higher settings you run on, the lower your fps. If you set your 3D settings to minimum, you will get 100fps guaranteed. So open up Catalyst Control Center and play with the 3D settings slider. Also, try the latest drivers from http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx first, there have been a lot of improvements since your driver was released. If you don't like them, you can always uninstall them.

Those drivers won't work for the AGP card, only PCIe.
u sure about that?
Quote from george_tsiros :u sure about that?

I downloaded and ran the ATI catylist 8.10 display driver for windows XP Professional/Home edition. (top one, see picture) and windoze said that there was no compatible driver for my hardware or operating system, or words to that effect. I googled "catylist 8.10 agp" and after clicking on a link that came up in some forum i read some of the posts there and heard that there is a compatibility issue as it is supposed to work with pci and agp cards. I then found a link to a patched version and it worked. fps is better, and clarity is better as well. I have AA/AF on full pelt in the ati catylist control centre and i now get about 40fps so its a lot better.
Attached images
driver.jpg
so it worked, then

glad to hear all is ok
Yeah, its all good now. I still get a serious fps drop occasionally, usually when someone joins or there are loads of cars near me but i can live with that. I did have to turn down one of the settings, i forget which one, because it made all my sign writing look blurry but now i fixed that its brilliant! Thanks for your link, without that i would never have known to search for catylist 8.10 etc.. so yeah, you helped me alot. Thanks for that mate!
RSC gave you the link, not me
So your driver was causing the problem after all? That's why I never trust 3rd party drivers like Omega.

Remember, ATI releases new drivers every month, so it would be a good idea to keep them up to date. Also, it sucks that you're using an AGP card, ATI have really screwed AGP users over for the past year or so. Thank god I got on the PCIe bandwagon cause I was tired of the problems with AGP drivers...
Hello,i have a Nvidia gforce 7600 gt graphics card.& have just reformatted my computer!!
problem is i reinstalled driver version 178.24 an cant get my display coulor any higher than 4 bit coulor ---->This is frustrating coz i cant even open LFS,let alone play......well its hard just reading what im writing now....dfgdgg,lol

i tryed older versions of driver an still no change to my display!?
I tryed all the driver links in patch Y14 thread dont know where to turn

im running a AMD64 Athlon.....

Funny thing if i uninstall driver i get 32 bit coulor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..BUT STILL CANT PLAY LFS!!

has anyone a solution??? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next step-----Sledge hammer & pair safty glasses.....
Do you have the CD that came with your video card? Can you try those drivers? Are you sure you're using the right drivers? Does the driver support your video card? Is there another video card you can try?
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :Do you have the CD that came with your video card? Can you try those drivers?

No,I dont have the driver disc,i perchased this card second hand.
I had this card working sweet 5hrs ago,and was getting 300 fps!! BUT i had win32.backdoor(TROJEN) on my computer an had to reformat

That trojen was spamming my Avast mail scanner BigTime!!

do you have or can you direct me to a driver or a driver cleaner as to remove/update whats on here now?? im google'ing like mad.........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blonde Moment!!

Feel free to poke,point and laugh!!

I found out why this was happening...

NOTICE!! never try an play lfs before installing service pack 2!!!
you will never get it to run....

As i said above,i tryed to install graphics drivers an could not get above 800x600 on 4 bit coulor display.Because the xp drivers that come with service pack1 for windows is the problem!!!

Thank F*$k thats sorted....

Thanks too all that took time to read/reply 2 my post plee...
That's good to hear! One more thing though, formatting a hard drive doesn't necessarily mean the virus is gone, I'm speaking from personal experience. Run an antivirus on it right away.
Ok thanks for the tip...

I did use onecare to remove that virus before i reformatted,would that make a difference to it still being there after reformat i have noticed a funny crash that happins when i start up sometimes(e.g)my g25 wont calibrate on startup sum times an my computer gets a black screen an freezes,so i just restart an its fine...

Running anti-virus scanner now.
thank you Shiny_red_cobra :Handshake
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :That's good to hear! One more thing though, formatting a hard drive doesn't necessarily mean the virus is gone, I'm speaking from personal experience. Run an antivirus on it right away.

wiping a drive clean, the whole drive, is much more certain to get rid of a virus, than running an antivirus on a disc with data.
no virus now...hahaha i win!!
Avast didnt find any thing,might try onecare again.
Onecare is what picked it in the first place coz win32:backdoor
attacked the avast mail scanner(it was spamming me hard!!).
so maybe thats why "Avast" hasnt found it this time

I think its still might have an instance of virus still left on the drive coz im getting slow internet speed on a fast rig, plus i use bigpond ADSL2 connection....(wired of coarse)not wire-less!!

dont quote me on the last paragraph,because i havnt tryed Onecare yet.
Also i might try Mc'Afee housecall??

P.s. Im happy either way,,coz i can race again now my gpu drivers fixxed......--->>250+fps=
Quote from Blackknight555 :Avast didnt find any thing,might try onecare again.
Onecare is what picked it in the first place coz win32:backdoor
attacked the avast mail scanner(it was spamming me hard!!).
so maybe thats why "Avast" hasnt found it this time

I think its still might have an instance of virus still left on the drive coz im getting slow internet speed on a fast rig, plus i use bigpond ADSL2 connection....(wired of coarse)not wire-less!!

dont quote me on the last paragraph,because i havnt tryed Onecare yet.
Also i might try Mc'Afee housecall??

P.s. Im happy either way,,coz i can race again now my gpu drivers fixxed......--->>250+fps=

Change Avast to Avira! Free Antivirus.
"Avira" Anti-virus?? wtf--->>Never heard of it!!!
Quote from Shadowww :Change Avast to Avira! Free Antivirus.

Never heard of it??? do you have a link so i can check out please.thanks

@shiny_red_cobra

I have been tearing my hair out coz of the crashes im getting,an now i think ive sorted it,well it starts fine-->(heaps of restart's 4 windows-updates ) an hasnt crashed yet....
Oh,an i underclocked my 2.0gig CPU aswell.my rig spec's-->> AMD64 Athlon with 2g ram & runnin a 256mb Nvidia geforce 7600 GT.

Problem was dirty connection between the PCI-E GFX card & mother board!!

(Quick fix was--->>get an eraser/rubber,an clean the pins on GFX card+blow out ur PCI/PCI-express/APG slot on motherboard)removes any nastys the may rest between or on those pins!!

(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG