The online racing simulator
change of alloys
(26 posts, started )
change of alloys
I like the exterior individualization with skins, colours.
But I really miss maybe another pair of alloys for each car.

Bad idea?
Yes. You're suggestion stuff that's already been suggested lots of times by people who haven't been here for too long. Please read up on what's been suggested before and THEN decide if we need to see the suggestion again.
i think its a good idea
i cant see why this would be a bad thing. alot of folks (including me)
would like to see some new alloys for each of the cars

im not talking about nfsu2 style selection but atleast 2-3 different types.

the drifting people would also appreciate i think
+1million! It would be a great idea to have about 5 wheels per road car (about 2 for race car, pointless for Formula class) it would also be nice to have different wheels for the front and back wheels (only useful for drifters.)
Completely useless IMHO. It's not like you'd see your wheels while driving anyway.
Also, it#s not only making the 3D-models, but implementing a selection, insuring they work and especially compatibility (word is that the shape of the wheels has an impact on physics. Even if it is hardly noticable, it messes up with compatibility).

So no, not worth the effort.
+1 I think it will be a good idea to choose between different rims.
Coleus, I don't get the compatibilty issues you talk off ? If you put a rim that has exactly the same characteristic (width, radius, weight) but a different design/shape, then one rim will not be better than one another.

Of course it would be better if the rims had different characteristics (weight/stamina) so you would have to choose which rim would be more suited to the race you are in (lighter like the RS Watanabe for sprints / heavier but more solid for endurances, etc).

But for now, I would prefer other things to be implemented (such as night and rain, more tracks).
#7 - bbman
Please give them 22" wheels they can pose with! They'll return to the standard wheels soon enough when they find out they've been driving around with 20 kg unnecessary weight...
each car? Your demo racer though. You only have 2 cars. 1 race car.
#9 - RS1T
Quote from ColeusRattus :Completely useless IMHO. It's not like you'd see your wheels while driving anyway. So no, not worth the effort.

not everyone uses in car cam. Some teenagers who have only driven in games find chase cam easier. dont be so selfish
off topic :Im a teenager, and im proud of it .... coz im still young u sukaz !!!
joke , joke ...

on topic : i find it ricer( ish ) to have the choice of alloys.... it only improves the looks.... in a racing sim u wont to go faster not to POSE ! coz that would be a posing simulator ....
Quote from el pibe :off topic :Im a teenager, and im proud of it .... coz im still young u sukaz !!!
joke , joke ...

on topic : i find it ricer( ish ) to have the choice of alloys.... it only improves the looks.... in a racing sim u wont to go faster not to POSE ! coz that would be a posing simulator ....

In a way I agree with you but look at alot of race series, aussie V8's spring to mind, ford and holden use different wheels. I think different wheels for the race cars only would be good idea but then I also think that it should be added in the final polishing of lfs.

Edit: my memory failed me, apparently theres 3 types of wheels.
It's not actually possible to have two different rim designs with the same characteristics. They can probably easily weight the same, but their shape do affect a bit aerodynamics. The point is, anything that's not exactly the same on your computer and everyone else computer's will inevitably cause an OOS. Say, you add a single polygon somewhere, you'll get an OOS.

Besides, I agree that it's kind of trivial, but in the same way that skins are trivial. Technically, we could still all be driving white cars and be okay with it, but it's kind of entertaining to see everyone's car's a bit different.
In V8 Supercars there are 3 different types of wheels. A 5-spoke, 8-spoke and 16-spoke.
Quote from boosterfire :It's not actually possible to have two different rim designs with the same characteristics. They can probably easily weight the same, but their shape do affect a bit aerodynamics.

IRL yes, in lfs for now, no... (I bet).

Quote from el pibe :

Kinda wrong. Some cars when modded requires heavier wheels than stock so that the added power/torque won't make the spin too much. In some other cars, lighter materials = faster times.
Quote from hansonator69 :In V8 Supercars there are 3 different types of wheels. A 5-spoke, 8-spoke and 16-spoke.

Yep, and this is one of the areas where having different wheel designs of the same weight and rotational inertia could still potentially have an affect on performance. We don't yet have brake pad/disc heating but when this is implemented cooling will become part of the equation. Two wheels with different patterns could have different cooling capabilities. Last week the Ford Performance Racing team fitted the 5 spoke alloys to the front of their cars because they thought it would provide better brake cooling. On topic I can't see a good reason to have more than one type of wheel design per car at the moment. If it's only for show then it's not worth even the small amount of time it would take to do, IMO.
Quote from ColeusRattus :Completely useless IMHO. It's not like you'd see your wheels while driving anyway.
Also, it#s not only making the 3D-models, but implementing a selection, insuring they work and especially compatibility (word is that the shape of the wheels has an impact on physics. Even if it is hardly noticable, it messes up with compatibility).

So no, not worth the effort.

Dude what is your issue, what we will do is ask LFS to make a separate game for folks like yourself in which there is 1 car, 1 tyre option, 1 track, 1 colour, 1 of everything. Get some diversity in your life, +109813927983 from my side
The drivers don't see their own, but they do see other cars. And spectators see all of them. There's nothing wrong with wanting a little more variety on the field.
Quote from Zen321 :
Kinda wrong. Some cars when modded requires heavier wheels than stock so that the added power/torque won't make the spin too much. In some other cars, lighter materials = faster times.

wrong. :/

Heavier wheels will always reduce the performance of a car, increasing the weight of the wheels will not add traction to the tires, for that you need high performance tires.

This is more true on rough tracks where there are alot of holes and cracks. Lighter wheels = less mass to rebound, which means the tires stay in full contact with the ground for a longer period of time. Which gives you more traction.
Quote from DragonCommando :wrong. :/

Heavier wheels will always reduce the performance of a car, increasing the weight of the wheels will not add traction to the tires, for that you need high performance tires.

This is more true on rough tracks where there are alot of holes and cracks. Lighter wheels = less mass to rebound, which means the tires stay in full contact with the ground for a longer period of time. Which gives you more traction.

Sorry for not detailing my explanation, I was in a hurry.
You are right when you say it doesn't help tire to produce more grip.

However, heaviers wheels have a higher inertia so they it requires more torque to make them move (spin around the axle).
That article basicaly confirms what I said.

Also, heavy wheels will not EVER prevent a high torque engine from spinning the wheels, because again, that has completely to do with the grip of the tires. Sure it will make the whole car heavier, and that might have an effect, but it will also kill the performance of the vehicle.

Heavy wheels reduce handeling and ride quality.
Yeah, just look at tanks. A perfectly good automobile, wrecked by excessive weight on the...rims...area
I like to think of LFS as a racing sim, but then again it offers so much moore!
Racing, Drifting, Cruising, Rally.. u name it.

I think a couple of rims to choose from would be nice, But dont need like 22" rims. what car would that look nice on, and fit? :O
+1

and i dont think it would be as ricey as some people in this forum think....like these white rally rims for rallying etc would be awsome, and it would look better on screenies and movies, aswell

and what harm would it do to the hardcore lfsers that only care about the physics...? i mean, they dont have to use other rims, but those who want, could
Quote from asbjoern :
and what harm would it do to the hardcore lfsers that only care about the physics...? i mean, they dont have to use other rims, but those who want, could

It's not about who's using it, but the time Scawen and Eric have to put into it which could be spent on many more usefull things than new "rims".

Once S2 is approaching final, I am OK with these things, but right now there are really a lot more pressing issues.

change of alloys
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG