The online racing simulator
Skin Stealers In Lfs
(52 posts, started )
Yes but that quote's assertion that because there is no license with the skin it makes it fair dealing is a lot of crap. Copyright is automatic.
did you read properly?
it doesn't have anything to do with money

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyrights
from the above:
Obtaining and enforcing copyright

Typically, a work must meet minimal standards of originality in order to qualify for copyright, and the copyright expires after a set period of time (some jurisdictions may allow this to be extended). Different countries impose different tests, although generally the requirements are low; in the United Kingdom there has to be some 'skill, labour and judgment' that has gone into it.[3] In Australia and the United Kingdom it has been held that a single word is insufficient to comprise a copyright work. However, single words or a short string of words can sometimes be registered as a trademark instead.
Copyright law recognises the right of an author based on whether the work actually is an original creation, rather than based on whether it is unique; two authors may own copyright on two substantially identical works, if it is determined that the duplication was coincidental, and neither was copied from the other.
In all countries where the Berne Convention standards apply, copyright is automatic, and need not be obtained through official registration with any government office. Once an idea has been reduced to tangible form, for example by securing it in a fixed medium (such as a drawing, sheet music, photograph, a videotape, or a computer file), the copyright holder is entitled to enforce his or her exclusive rights. However, while registration isn't needed to exercise copyright, in jurisdictions where the laws provide for registration, it serves as prima facie evidence of a valid copyright and enables the copyright holder to seek statutory damages and attorney's fees. (In the USA, registering after an infringement only enables one to receive actual damages and lost profits.)
The original holder of the copyright may be the employer of the author rather than the author himself, if the work is a "work for hire". For example, in English law the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 provides that if a copyrighted work is made by an employee in the course of that employment, the copyright is automatically owned by the employer as a "Work for Hire."
Copyrights are generally enforced by the holder in a civil law court, but there are also criminal infringement statutes in some jurisdictions. While central registries are kept in some countries, which aid in proving claims of ownership, registering does not necessarily prove ownership, nor does the fact of copying (even without permission) necessarily prove that copyright was infringed. Criminal sanctions are generally aimed at serious counterfeiting activity, but are now becoming more commonplace as copyright collectives such as the RIAA are increasingly targeting the file sharing home Internet user. Thus far, however, most such cases against file sharers have been settled out of court. (See: File sharing and the law)

and there were topics about people who made a teamskin for money (to be honest i can't find the topic) but that isn't the issue
Very good Info.
Quote from Dajmin :The easiest way to screw over the potential thieves is to give the skin a name that's just a random stream of letters and numbers (dkd81n.dds), or otherwise hard to read and search for, or make it completely unrelated to your team. That way they won't know (a) who the skin is downloading from, or (b) which one it is they're looking for in their folder.

But since it's an unprotected file format, there's no way to stop people using it if they want to.

It was discussed before that it'd be nice if there was a way of LFS automatically deleting "private" flagged skins when that player left the game, but I don't know how practical it would be.
Obviously even that method would still allow people to grab it while you were logged in, but it would make life a little harder for the lazy ones.

The other method is to regularly update your team skins, thereby making most of the stolen ones obsolete.

THanks this was a great idea...
Yes. Private skin is private...
I havent approved for selling my skin either. Wheres the cash for it then?
Quote from GlobB3n :I havent approved for selling my skin either. Wheres the cash for it then?

100$ is enought? If it is, u can get it at any cruise server.
#31 - col
Quote from swingkid :
every picture,photho, drawing or other artistic work is automatic copyrighted

yes, but this is moot in the case of LFS
Quote :
when i upload a skin i don't give permission to use for themselves but only to show my car properly
if i post it here on the forum than its public (unless i say its privat)
can't hepl it if they abuse this but that dosn't make it right (as with copying music ,photo's ....)
and its not the end of the world

For your skins to be usable in LFS everyone has to have a copy of them, so for there to be any point in having skins, you must allow every user to obtain a copy freely.

For someone to use your skin on their car, they don't need to make an extra copy, so copyright is irrelevant in this case.

You don't have the ability in LFS to grant or refuse individuals the right to have a copy of your skin, its either everyone or no-one, so all your stuff about "i don't give permission to use for themselves but only to show my car properly" is nonsense.
It's either freely available public skin or no skin.... that's your choice plain and simple. If you choose to upload your skin the LFS world, then others can decide to use your skin whether you like it or not.
If you are polite and explain that you would rather they didn't, they *might* agree and stop using it. If you start shouting and calling them names... and demanding that they stop using it, followed with legal threats and forum tantrums, then it is highly likely that they will tell you where to shove it, and make every effort to use each new skin you design just to wind you up.
Col speaks the truth.

I don't really see what all the fuss is about. If you'd spent hundreds of hours making a skin to sell for millions upon millions of game credits (Reference point: Forza Motorsport 2) then I can see the point of having a bit of a hoo-haa about it all, but the graphics on LFS are hardly something to write home about and the skins are far from complex (comparatively speaking).

If someone steals your skin, just do as already advised and re-do one with a random name, and update it frequently.
WWD Understand...
We have decided to not to anything about it. It says clear there as "Col" say\quote..

This is The end of this Post for my Opinion.

Sorry to the LFS makers... Still a Great game. But this is maybe somthing to add in feuture. ( team tags is chosen by LFSW and team listing there maybe? ) Then it will never happen that team tags get stolen and used..
then skin have nothing to say.... if u get what i ment...
Quote from GlobB3n :Hope u take a look at see what kinda of a problem this is.....

Skin Stealers and fake tag users are :

jonny211984
Liam_Of_Stockton
hoggy2k8

These are Now Wanted banned or Remove from all Known WWD Servers.

To see the proper WWD crew go to our WEBSITE in a few days website is under update.....

That explains it. I know those guys, there total arses, and they do steal stuff. I used to code an insim for them for cruise, and he expected so much. Wanted everything like this one server. I decided not to make it.
col: i don't think you get the point
Once the game starts acting like a real online race game i.e not sending your personal skin to everyone, instead reading it from an online library, LFS will be much better
#37 - SamH
Quote from swingkid :col: i don't think you get the point

I suspect, far more likely, it is you that doesn't get col's point.
Quote from MemphisRaines :Once the game starts acting like a real online race game i.e not sending your personal skin to everyone, instead reading it from an online library, LFS will be much better

When you've invented the "ethereal internet", let us know and we'll all move over to using that. Then, once we've got the einternet, all we have to do is THINK our skins to everyone so everyone can see what our skins look like (as long as they close their eyes while driving) and we can just blow this whole physical internet nonsense off.

Or, alternatively, you could go get yourself an understanding of how the real internet works, then prolly come back and delete your post out of sheer embarassment.
Actually, there is one simple solution for teams to prevent skin stealing:

Use two skins:
a public skin for public racing, which isn't "exclusive" to your team in so far that skin "stealing" isn't a problem

and a team skin (with a randomized name) you only use in league and closed server racing, where the chance of someone else using it is slim.

On a sidenote: i'd be flattered if anyone would want use my skins
Quote from SamH :I suspect, far more likely, it is you that doesn't get col's point.

When you've invented the "ethereal internet", let us know and we'll all move over to using that. Then, once we've got the einternet, all we have to do is THINK our skins to everyone so everyone can see what our skins look like (as long as they close their eyes while driving) and we can just blow this whole physical internet nonsense off.

Or, alternatively, you could go get yourself an understanding of how the real internet works, then prolly come back and delete your post out of sheer embarassment.

example:
when i give permision to use a photo in a magazine
every body who buys the magazine gets a copy of my photo
but they still not allowed to use it themselfs
thats copyright!
i know that there are people who will use the photo as i know that there are people who use the skins witout permision
but that still doesn't make it right!
but whe do have to live with it (thiefs are everywhere also on the net )
col thinks that skins have no copyright !?
again:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyrights
it aply's to all origionall work
my case was just pointing out that it is steeling
im not asking to do anithing obout it , i belive that would be a waste of time
Just my opinion.

I think of exactly 2 methods(2nd is too slow and complicated so I won't mention it) of preventing stealing.

There goes: Make the option private/public as most of the people said. And if private add a command like "/w gs username" gs = give skin. Skins have date of add atm. Maybe just one more field that saves the ids of users will do it. Like:
------------------------------------------
| skin1 | 22.11.2008 | 43 7347 9847 76 16 |
| skin2 | 14.04.2008 | 84 643 8438 643 89 |
------------------------------------------
Just guessing how the skins' dates are placed. No real idea if I'm right.
What I meant is to add ids separated by spaces. The most easiest way to read it since some usernames contain spaces or special symbols that may confuse the system if separating it with "-" lets say. Then when you join the game it will not only check the skins in X folder but the ones in Y also if u have rights to use them. If not:
Possibility 1: Del from Y.
Possibility 2: Move from Y to X.
Possibility 3: Don't let the person join the race with it.

About copyrights - This is silly. What about the people who develop games/movies/music/whatever. What should they say? It takes them months or even years to build. Their work gets stolen by hundreds or even thousands of people.
We fight here for thing that takes us hours. And it really means that people like your work if they use it(in some special occasions when they want to harm you by crashing. But anyway in the most cases they will be banned from the server, not you) so why even bother? It's no use to fight right now.
Other thing: If you want to keep it for yourself write your username on it. I bet that most of the server admins know the shift+ctrl combination.
Just for the record - I have made skins and people have used them(I won't say stole because its just a game and I don't really care that much but if I want them to take it off I will tell).
All on all its the same with posts in the forum. One thinks of something and others tell him that such thing already exists and sometimes it can be the start of a new fight.

Well I don't know what I really wrote now so I will stop. xD
But wouldn't that just complicate things and increase system resources? One of the best things about LFS is that even older PCs can run it fine, and it's the same on network capacity. If you add all these extra checks to see if you can use/see a skin then it'll slow everything down.

Simple thing to do is to take it on the chin, some people are far to serious
I just tried to point the way if people want their skins to be secured.
I know its far too complicated for something not that far important. But I don't see the point of fighting anyway.

As I said in my previous reply - Just my opinion. I don't want to take place against anyone and enter useless fights.
Quote from ColeusRattus :Actually, there is one simple solution for teams to prevent skin stealing:

Use two skins:
a public skin for public racing, which isn't "exclusive" to your team in so far that skin "stealing" isn't a problem

and a team skin (with a randomized name) you only use in league and closed server racing, where the chance of someone else using it is slim.

On a sidenote: i'd be flattered if anyone would want use my skins

i think your right. it can be as simple as that!
#44 - Woz
Quote from swingkid :example:
when i give permision to use a photo in a magazine
every body who buys the magazine gets a copy of my photo
but they still not allowed to use it themselfs
thats copyright!
i know that there are people who will use the photo as i know that there are people who use the skins witout permision
but that still doesn't make it right!
but whe do have to live with it (thiefs are everywhere also on the net )
col thinks that skins have no copyright !?
again:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyrights
it aply's to all origionall work
my case was just pointing out that it is steeling
im not asking to do anithing obout it , i belive that would be a waste of time

Then when someone steals your skin use copyright law and take them to court. You have to use the courts to protect copyright, as the RIAA do .

It is not for LFS to protect your skin as it need to distribute it for others to see it. This is the way of EVERY online game there is at the mo.
people said it wasn't steeling (10nt post in this topic)
i wanted only to point out that (by law) it is steeling!
so that people don't think they have the RIGHT to use every skin they want!
and indeed it is not to lfs to protect the copyright but i thought i didn't say that

i thought i explaint my self in the other posts
Pfeh, relax airhead you shouldn't want to have anyone banned because or YOUR ignorance of how LFS operates. Whenever someone drives around with your team skin LFS automatically downloads it to their skins_x folder as a dds file the can then easily copy and paste to skins_dds so quit complaining you shoulda found that out before you started making the skin.
paste to skins you mean.
Quote from swingkid :people said it wasn't steeling (10nt post in this topic)
i wanted only to point out that (by law) it is steeling!
so that people don't think they have the RIGHT to use every skin they want!
and indeed it is not to lfs to protect the copyright but i thought i didn't say that

i thought i explaint my self in the other posts

It is not stealing as long as the guy did not pay for a copyright on his skin.
ah well if people won't read or doesn't understand
Jakg's idea is very entertaining, and effective.

Quote from Zen321 :It is not stealing as long as the guy did not pay for a copyright on his skin.

That's why most inventions don't happen because there is no guarantee that the idea wont get copied before it gets patented rendering it useless.

Skin Stealers In Lfs
(52 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG