The online racing simulator
HAHA! I was right, I guess most of people were expecting updated G25.
Still remember "Goo" from rscnet? Found this from the gtplanet thread:

Quote :Hi.

My name's Chris, and I work for Logitech. I'm the product manager for both the Driving Force GT and the G25, as well as the G-series keyboards and some other stuff. I'm the guy in the YouTube video explaining how the DFGT's new realtime adjustment dial feature works. Now that GDC is over and the wheel is actually announced, I'll try and answer some of the questions I've seen about it.

The Driving Force GT (DFGT) is a direct replacement for the Driving Force Pro. It is not intended to address the same customer as the G25.

The pedals base has the same external design, but the internals were modified slightly to improve reliability and precision. Much like the G25 pedals, the DFGT's are set up with two parts - the pedal arm turns a gear that is affixed over the potentiometer shaft rather than turning the pot directly. This means that excessive force (and the subsequent deformation of the plastic) on the pedals can no longer cause the potentiometer to move out of tolerance and produce erratic values. The performance of the DFGT's pedals should be significantly improved over the Driving Force Pro's.

The force feedback transmission is a double-reduction, single-motor system. The gear ratio has been modified such that it is much smoother and quieter than the DFP's. It also features a backlash-reduction main gear similar to the system used in the G25. It does not generate the same amount of torque that the G25 does, as it only has one motor, but it does deliver the same amount of torque as the DFP.

I'll pop in and answer further questions as I can during the week. It's been quite hectic leading up to the announcement, and I think it will only calm down a little now. Hopefully I can get some pics up of the internals as well.

Quote :The wheel feels more like the G25 than the DFP. It's a bit "heavier" to steer than the G25, but is much easier than the DFP. The G25 is able to be turned faster than the DFGT, though.

There is currently 6-speed support in the GT5:Prologue US version we demoed at GDC. Obviously, as we do not write the game, I cannot say definitively what the future holds for shifter/clutch support. I do not expect things to change, however.

#30 - J.B.
So has anyone got this wheel yet? I'm not interested in the G25 since the sequential shifter felt pretty poor when I tested it but this seems like the dfgt might be a worthy dfp replacement.

SRT says the new dials don't work. Any news on future drivers?
i think the desgin is preaty neat & slick.. i'm a GT4 player and own psone and pstwo have over 25 racing game on ps2 and ps1.. gt4 is best played with the dfp.. sure the g25 works too but doesnt support h shift and clutch...
so the dfp original design is for Console players.. the support for pc is a welcome option i guess..
i had a dfp bought it of eBay used it for about 1,5 years, then the pedal bug occured send it in and got a new boxed unit.. > i sold it on ebay AS NEW.. and bought me with some extra money a g25...

the prize of the dfp (gt5 edt) is fairly to high, but it the competition will bring down the price until the old dfp is completely out of stock

Hi all.
I never had a wheel before, and yesterday I was going to buy the DFGT, then I refrained. And today I find this thread...doesn't sound like it is a much loved wheel over here...

Anyway, you old-time drivers, do you think that Logitech will support it with nice Windows drivers one day? I heard that it must be used with the DFP drivers, and some buttons and/or dials don't work with the pc.
What is your experience with Logitech/Wingmanteam support over the years?
If I buy one, can I be sure that I'll find correct drivers soon or later?

Thanx
Quote from Ripley :Hi all.
I never had a wheel before, and yesterday I was going to buy the DFGT, then I refrained. And today I find this thread...doesn't sound like it is a much loved wheel over here...

Anyway, you old-time drivers, do you think that Logitech will support it with nice Windows drivers one day? I heard that it must be used with the DFP drivers, and some buttons and/or dials don't work with the pc.
What is your experience with Logitech/Wingmanteam support over the years?
If I buy one, can I be sure that I'll find correct drivers soon or later?

Thanx

I have this wheel and absolutly love it. I bought it a month or so ago to replace my Wingman Formula ForceGT.
Having never owned a G25 I can't say how it compares...but after hearing people moan about the old DFP's lack of responsivness I can assure you this wheel is fast and very responsive.
I picked mine up for $97.00+Tax and it is worth every penny.

Get one M8 you won't regret it. At th emoment your computer and the Wingman drivers only see it as an old DFP but even without all the buttons working it is great.
You still get all the old DFP buttons just not the new ones yet.
Good to read a positive review !

What I wanted to know, though, when you write "You still get all the old DFP buttons just not the new ones yet", you mean/know/think that it will be fully supported in the future ? I know you're not a Logitech support employee, but what's your guess/experience ?

My fear is that those dials and things are too much PlayStation specific, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks anyway for replying Todd.
Quote from Ripley :My fear is that those dials and things are too much PlayStation specific, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks anyway for replying Todd.

Sorry can't tell you.

But I will say this. It dosen't matter!, you still get more buttons than any other wheel and it works friggin great.
Way better than the old DFP and not much more money.
Its Fugly.. and gt5 is terrible.
#38 - Zowy
DFGT - gteat buy
I've had several of the DFP wheels and currently am using the DFGT i think that the DFGT is a nice upgrade if you don't already have a functioning wheel. If you currently have a DFP that works, you will not be overwhelmed with the DFGT. The DFGT is a an improved version that is a little nicer and has some features that need Logitech to grow into. Both of these wheels work great with any pc or console that accepts the USB port.
I like lots of different racing games and can use either of these wheels on PC, PS2,PS3 or Xbox 360. The support for the wheels is more a function of the game software than anything else.Personally I like the DFGT better, but then the only reason I got it was that I had worn out my DFP's and needed a new wheel. having said that, I'd not buy another DFP as I feel that the extra money for the DFGT is a small increase for a nice, but not huge improvement in feel and features.
After running GT5P with the way it handles you won´t get much use of for example the better pedals on the G25... FFB is kind of rubbish in GT5... I don´t like it otherwise either but seeing how hard it´s to get the wheels loose the DFP pedals is more then up to the task for that game.

overkill to go for a G25 (which apart from pedals and H-shifter is very similar in feel) and even more so with the 911 Turbo wheel consequently...

I have only about 15 minutes seat time with the DFP GT but yes it reminded me quite a bit on the G25. Very weak force feedback but may just be the settings I didn´t have time to change that.

If you are also racing on the PC it kind of matters what you prioritize it´s of course never wrong to go for the higher end wheels... What does 100-200$ matters if you use a wheel in two years at least?
I may be looking for a wheel (not sure yet as it implies doing so while wife and kids are away on holidays - consequenses may help me understand the true meaning of force feedback )I would like a little noise as possible - any tips? Is that GT wheel quiet / how does it compare with other wheels?I am willing to compromise a lot for silence as it may be the difference between use / no use of the wheel...Any other suggestion, not too expensive wheels as this may be a waste of money, on the quiet side?Thanks
Quote from Mille Sabords :I may be looking for a wheel (not sure yet as it implies doing so while wife and kids are away on holidays - consequenses may help me understand the true meaning of force feedback )I would like a little noise as possible - any tips? Is that GT wheel quiet / how does it compare with other wheels?I am willing to compromise a lot for silence as it may be the difference between use / no use of the wheel...Any other suggestion, not too expensive wheels as this may be a waste of money, on the quiet side?Thanks

Yay, finally! I was wondering when you'd get one. As they say, it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

I have no experience with this wheel, but I hear the Fanatec 911 is very silent, at least compared to the G25, due to its belt drive. If that fits within your budget I'd recommend looking into it. IMO a manual shifter and clutch adds a whole ton to the gaming experience and immersion (I'm a G25 user)
I would not push it too far, time is on my side with LFS developpement speed
I'm looking for an off the shelf product to buy in a nearby store, so that I get at least a few days use before retaliation... Being in Switzerland it looks like logitech / PS2, 3 products are more likely to be found.
My budget could be higher but what is important is how much I spend cowardly now.
Fanatec as I read is 300€, too big to sneak in even if I will most certainly miss a clutch + shifter. One step at a time... maybe FFB off to start with.
Do these things rumble under use? How loud (never seen one) - dishwasher, fridge or blender?
Quote from Mille Sabords :I would not push it too far, time is on my side with LFS developpement speed
I'm looking for an off the shelf product to buy in a nearby store, so that I get at least a few days use before retaliation... Being in Switzerland it looks like logitech / PS2, 3 products are more likely to be found.
My budget could be higher but what is important is how much I spend cowardly now.
Fanatec as I read is 300€, too big to sneak in even if I will most certainly miss a clutch + shifter. One step at a time... maybe FFB off to start with.
Do these things rumble under use? How loud (never seen one) - dishwasher, fridge or blender?

Here's SRT's review of the Logitech Driving Force GT. Apparently it's not too noisy. He says the wheel "loves LFS".
Thanks for the link. Damn that's noisy...compared to how quiet the flat is at night.
I play 3m away from my wife watching TV and no wall in between so I think it's a no go
I can always remove the gear from FFB but then it become little better than my mouse

I'll see tomorrow after work if I can get my hand on one. Although 100€ for a few days make it more costly than IRental

Edit:
No DFPGT in store
Found a crappy looking logitech formula ex and the same wireless with 200° - approx 75€
Found a momo wheel - €130
and 2 G25 wheel lurking in the end of the shelf... 210€ approx. Is it a good price?
Would it be playable on my limited rig? Enjoyable with a small screen?
Laptop Dell M65 , intel core 2 7600 at 2.33, 2GB ram, nvidia quadro 350M 256Mo (weak point) with a 15.4 screen...

I have to talk with my wife sometime, better start furbishing my plea
Forget it...
I got the G25 in the end, and buying this made me feel like a teenager, with a mixed feeling of shame and joy common during this period.
So I can say the first G25 effect is to make me feel 20 odd years younger

Second effect is my lap times dropped 2-4 seconds/minute
I'll see the third effect tonight when the wife and kids get back from vacation and find out :arge:
Quote from Mille Sabords :Forget it...
I got the G25 in the end, and buying this made me feel like a teenager, with a mixed feeling of shame and joy common during this period.
So I can say the first G25 effect is to make me feel 20 odd years younger

Second effect is my lap times dropped 2-4 seconds/minute
I'll see the third effect tonight when the wife and kids get back from vacation and find out :arge:

Wow, you're already that much faster? Impressive! I'd have thougth it would take longer to get used to.

I don't really understand why your wife would get angry, though.. what does it matter if you play with a mouse or a wheel? You're playing LFS anyway..

See you on the DmR server tonight..?
I'll see the third effect tonight when the wife and kids get back from vacation and find out :arge:[/quote]

Hehehehe , if anything happens to you , can i get your G25 for free ?
Quote from W1ldPort75 :I'll see the third effect tonight when the wife and kids get back from vacation and find out :arge:

Hehehehe , if anything happens to you , can i get your G25 for free ? [/QUOTE]

Well he hasn't posted for a while.. maybe his wife threw the G25 out the window and locked Mille in the basement for a week or something..
Vacation week - no time for G25
I will enjoy the lovely weather with my wife and kids, and watch a few movies, some wine, etc...
No basement but neither a warm welcome for the G25, plus I have to disassemble and store it after use because I have no desk, and learn using it with as little noise as possible, paddle shit and slow release of the pedals at the moment, FFB 15-20% at best
Might take some time, but I made progress
I'll keep the wheel for a while, it cost me 210€ plus nearly the same for a handbag and a purse already, maybe more to come...
Damn that's an expensive wheel.

See you online but probably next week only.
Quote from Mille Sabords :
I'll keep the wheel for a while, it cost me 210€ plus nearly the same for a handbag and a purse already, maybe more to come...
Damn that's an expensive wheel.

:lol So you had to "buy" peace in the house, I see? Well it's worth it, I assure you.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG