The online racing simulator
Diesel or Petrol
(76 posts, started )
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Why have such a huge and thirsty engine when it's no more powerful and much less economical than a low capacity boosted motor? >_>

That would be pointless. No-one is saying that they would rather have a huge, uneconomical engine then a smaller, forced induction one. We're just saying that diesels do not have more torque per liter of displacement then gasoline engines. But increasing the displacement yields nearly the same results as adding a turbocharger. But you also cannot compare a brand new engine to an incredibly old one, like that GM 6.2L diesel. Obviously an old engine is not going to have the same advancements as a new one. That vauxhall engine you are talking about is probably the 1.9L twin turbo, common rail injection engine. That old GM diesel that I was talking about does not have common rail injection. You can't compare the two.

Quote from sam93 :Diesels are getting quicker and quicker in my opinion.

So are petrol powered vehicles.
Quote from wheel4hummer :So are petrol powered vehicles.

I know but diesels are normally known for being slow but not so much now, even on Top Gear they said that they may soon be as quick as petrols. When I start driving though I would prefer a Petrol car.
Quote from G!NhO :diesels suck because they sound like crap

says the person who likes jeeps which most happen to be diesel
Quote from Luke.S :says the person who likes jeeps which most happen to be diesel

Is it really most of them?
'Twas a single turbo motor from a Vectra.

The twin turbo model you're talking about has 212Bhp

Imo if it's still being produced it can and should be compared to other availible cars.

That's like saying that that russian build Morris rip off would be good if all the other cars were technically dated by 30 years (!)
Enough of your love for Vectra's Gaymie.

This time last year, all I heard was Vectra this, Vectra that...

Shaddap you Bimmer hoe. (Dash Ford Crapi)

But seriously it was the only car off the top of my head that had more power :-P

Anyway liek, the Vectra is a good car@@@

Hitalian Fireplace? It can carry one of those..
Quote from S14 DRIFT :The twin turbo model you're talking about has 212Bhp

180BHp actually. Anyway, why are you talking about power? I thought you said diesel was better because it had more torque. HP is torque * rpm /5252, isn't it? More torque isn't necessarily better. The powerband of a diesel engine is pretty small too.
Quote from sam93 :I know but diesels are normally known for being slow but not so much now, even on Top Gear they said that they may soon be as quick as petrols. When I start driving though I would prefer a Petrol car.

Production car performance is defined by demand, there's no engineering issue stopping either production petrol or diesel cars from being much faster, there's just no point/demand for them.
Quote from Luke.S :says the person who likes jeeps which most happen to be diesel

nope not here, my dad will never buy a diesel Jeep, because a Jeep with a diesel engine isn't a real Jeep.
Quote from G!NhO :nope not here, my dad will never buy a diesel Jeep, because a Jeep with a diesel engine isn't a real Jeep.

Jeeps in my opinion are horrible, not a nice 4x4 at all. The old Landcruisers or the Defender 90 I like in a 4x4, but the old Landcruisers are more reliable then the Defenders/Land Rovers. Land Rovers break more easily.

Edit: If I ever had the money I would buy a Bowler Nemises or know called the QT WildCat as Bowler sold the WildCat.
-
(MonkOnHotTinRoof) DELETED by MonkOnHotTinRoof
Quote from MonkOnHotTinRoof ::chairfall

Let me guess, your dad bought jeep so that when he goes to nearest shop, he sits higher than everyone else ? Petrol jeep is such a rice. Seeing as you come from Netherlands that explains all the need for Jeep .

Haha, good point. And true
Quote from MonkOnHotTinRoof ::chairfall

Let me guess, your dad bought jeep so that when he goes to nearest shop, he sits higher than everyone else ? Petrol jeep is such a rice. Seeing as you come from Netherlands that explains all the need for Jeep .

We have a boat, a horse trailer and a caravan. we need a jeepto pull those things, get it!?

many other cars arent even allowed to pull the boat.

Quote :Haha, good point. And true

not true at all
I dont think diesel will be cheaper for much more time. Its already almost on the price of petrol.
Id suggest a petrol car then. (Or maybe even super)
Quote from Stefani24 :I dont think diesel will be cheaper for much more time. Its already almost on the price of petrol.
Id suggest a petrol car then. (Or maybe even super)

Diesel costs more than Petrol per litre in the UK.
-
Quote from MonkOnHotTinRoof :Then he should buy a diesel one. Did you ever see tractor or tank on petrol ?

as i said earlier my dad doesnt like diesels, and why buy a diesel one??? the diesel engines from Jeep arent as powerfull as their petrol engines, and we drive on LPG actually so its alot cheaper than diesel.
Quote from G!NhO :as i said earlier my dad doesnt like diesels, and why buy a diesel one??? the diesel engines from Jeep arent as powerfull as their petrol engines, and we drive on LPG actually so its alot cheaper than diesel.

So it actually runs on gas or is it dual fuel when you can chose whether to use Gas or Petrol?
#68 - arco
Quote from G!NhO :We have a boat, a horse trailer and a caravan. we need a jeepto pull those things, get it!?

many other cars arent even allowed to pull the boat.

not true at all

Do you prefer to tow that caravan with a petrol engine, or a diesel engine?
Quote from sam93 :So it actually runs on gas or is it dual fuel when you can chose whether to use Gas or Petrol?

both, 95 liter lpg and 60(or more) liter petrol tank
I honestly don't see why there is a diesel vs petrol discussion. It depends on the engine... The only fuel that I am biased against is ethanol because I think we should eat edible stuff and fuel our cars with inedible stuff.
-
-
Quote from MonkOnHotTinRoof :I agree. Vegetables are for pigs, pigs are for men . Using them for fuel is like using gold for earrings, not for electronics. Um, wait...

Well, using corn for ethanol will drive up the price of many products. The only ethanol that makes sense is cellulosic ethanol. Corn ethanol is a bad idea IMO.
I agree.

So many people think biofuel is a good idea, but hate the fact that food prices are rising. Which do you want? Cheap petrol or affordable food? With crop based biofuel (and government subsides) you can't have both.
Shouldn't have tax on petrol as it's esential for everyday life.

That way we could have fun with big motors, rar rar!
It isn't essential - humans managed for thousands of years without it. Petrol remains a luxury rather than a necessity.
I thought the only advantage of a diesel was if you did a lot of longer journeys, not just a lot of miles per year? I thought diesel efficiency only really started after you'd been driving for more than 30 miles, that's why I've not really been fussed about looking for a diesel car (most of my journeys will barely be above 25/30 miles).

Diesel or Petrol
(76 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG