The online racing simulator

Poll : Remove the Horns From GTR car´s?

Yes
No
well i have just got off the phone to my mate who irl is a gtr mechanic (who is at silverstone right at this moment) ,and he has informed me half of gtrs do actually have a horn , only if the placement of the horn interferes with a performance part is it removed ,he has checked the rules and theres nothing banning the fitting or use of the horn ,just common decency not to use it unless absolutely necassary.
Quote from [MoD] :i thought personal attacks in the forum were not helpful and due to recent rule changes actually banned from the forum

Where is the personal attack?

Quote from [MoD] :well i have just got off the phone to my mate who irl is a gtr mechanic (who is at silverstone right at this moment) ,and he has informed me half of gtrs do actually have a horn , only if the placement of the horn interferes with a performance part is it removed ,he has checked the rules and theres nothing banning the fitting or use of the horn ,just common decency not to use it unless absolutely necassary.

What kind of racing are we talking about? By having a horn it implies it was deliberately put back on the car when the car was built, unless it was never taken to a shell, in which case it isn't really a proper production racing car. I think I have worked on 11 GT cars, none of which have had a horn.
british gt . but i do think this is a pointless vote as there are no rules against the fitment and the way the vote is now . there are much more unrealistic things in lfs such as most gtr cars do not have pit limiters , but formula bmws do have a pit limiter
i think, all the cruisers voted "NO"

Cuz they dont wanna lose the horn in GTR cars , for the cop thingy
Quote from Kosmo :+1 to that.

+1 to that too.

If he's in front of you and turning in on you, it means he doesn't want to leave you any room which is his right. You don't alert him, you brake. It's your responsibility to avoid the guy in front of you, not his, both in racing and on the road.

True where you're behind the guy, false when you are actually side by side while taking the inside.
I don't care whom responsibility it is to brake to avoid the accident and argue for the remaining laps while spectating and arguing with the other. Simply, the horn helps to prevent this kind of situation and prevents both cars to be totalled at the entrance of a corner.

I would rather have the horn that, even unrealistic on certain cars, can help to remove some of the games defects than being crashed 1 race out of 2 ans argue whether it was my fault or not.
In CTRA (1), the horn helps a lot to prevent accident, especially when you're in someone's blindspot.
Quote from [MoD] :british gt .

Odd, I'd have expected a British GT car to be properly prepared from shell up.
Quote from Inouva : i think, all the cruisers voted "NO"

well i swear ive seen you on cruise servers on a regular basis
Quote from ajp71 :Odd, I'd have expected a British GT car to be properly prepared from shell up.

well you are only 18 and have had limited time to follow british gt and im 36 and been following british gt since i was 10 not saying i should know more just cause of my age just more experience. most are built from a road car in accordance to the rules (although this may have changed in the last couple of years) as its production car racing not production parts racing lol
Quote from [MoD] :well you are only 18 and have had limited time to follow british gt and im 36 and been following british gt since i was 10 not saying i should know more just cause of my age just more experience. most are built from a road car in accordance to the rules (although this may have changed in the last couple of years) as its production car racing not production parts racing lol

I may be 18 but I have worked for a GT team and built cars (in Britcar, a similar championship with smaller budgets and some other historics/FIA GT). A large amount of the work I did was... shell preparation. So no offense but I think I have a far better idea than a casual spectator

They may start as second hand road cars but the first thing that happens is they get stripped to a bare shell before being sent off to the body shop to be sand blasted. During the stripping process a lot of parts (including the horn) get thrown out because they are of no use and not worth the hassle trying to sell. After the shell has been stripped it is prepared, a process that takes a lot longer than the creation and installation of a full weld in roll cage, every last stud and bracket that isn't going to be used is ground off (including the horn ones).

If a car doesn't end up as a shell during the build process then the interior paint will look shit and doing the required body preparation will be much much harder, if not impossible, and if a team decides to drag round standard road car components then they're not going to get anywhere.

I think you really don't understand what GT racing of the last 20 years or so has been about, all the strength is from the rollcage, you could easily cut away large parts of the shell without issue (lots of people run with carbon fibre body panels). The only uses for the shell itself is to cover the car and to stop reduce the rollcage distorting in a large impact. The supsension and brakes bear no resemblence to the production item, other than the fact they're in roughly the same place on the car, the engine is the only major part of the car that is based on the production car.
Quote from [MoD] :well i swear ive seen you on cruise servers on a regular basis

I dont use to much the GTR when i am cruising , only LX6 - RAC - And Mrt

I ben racing in ConeDodgers for 2200 laps and every race with 30+ drivers , never they used the horn
Quote from Inouva :I dont use to much the GTR when i am cruising , only LX6 - RAC - And Mrt

I ben racing in ConeDodgers for 2200 laps and every race with 30+ drivers , never they used the horn

So just because it's not useful to racers means it should be taken out?

Hasn't everyone been complaining about "bad improvement suggestions" because it'll take precious time out of devs' limited work hours? It's the same thing as "take out the ability to put drivers in"... It's already coded, why take out something that took a while to code? It's going in reverse direction. We have to realize that this ISN'T reality. It's a game. If it was an ultimate simulator we'd all be sweaty and damned tired after every race, and we would have no money in a few weeks from racing. Some things are just better to have than to not have. Horns are not so important, and almost no racer uses it. Does that justify taking the time to take it out of the game? I certainly don't think so. After it's taken out there will be a new group of racers asking for it back! You never know what you had until its taken from you - or something like that. Maybe you're just taking the horn for grantite. It's useful for cruisers and.. drifters i guess? If they're too sideways maybe they beep?

I probably made no sense; i'm incredibly tired.
well maybe in the future when the light had better proyection work , they shoud be remobe from gtr , the other day i wass watching the GTR 1 , 2 , 3 , lmp , to overtake the car with one lap less , they blink 10 times the lights , and the car let the path clear to overtake , this should be in lfs =P

IN the future
Quote from Inouva : i think, all the cruisers voted "NO"

Undoubtedly.... but then without entering into debate (per the recent announcements) is that a bad thing? If it's an easy code switch, why not enable it for all cars, so that all users can have maximum enjoyment?
Quote from MijnWraak :So just because it's not useful to racers means it should be taken out?

Hasn't everyone been complaining about "bad improvement suggestions" because it'll take precious time out of devs' limited work hours? It's the same thing as "take out the ability to put drivers in"... It's already coded, why take out something that took a while to code? It's going in reverse direction. We have to realize that this ISN'T reality. It's a game. If it was an ultimate simulator we'd all be sweaty and damned tired after every race, and we would have no money in a few weeks from racing. Some things are just better to have than to not have. Horns are not so important, and almost no racer uses it. Does that justify taking the time to take it out of the game? I certainly don't think so. After it's taken out there will be a new group of racers asking for it back! You never know what you had until its taken from you - or something like that. Maybe you're just taking the horn for grantite. It's useful for cruisers and.. drifters i guess? If they're too sideways maybe they beep?

I probably made no sense; i'm incredibly tired.

+1.

There's far more important things to be fixed before something like this should even be considered by the devs.

Personally, I'd say just leave them in. They're not doing anyone any harm, and it's not like leaving the horn code in the GTRs will make them any slower...
Yeah, bit of a problem for cruisers. I don't cruise myself, but I do respect them. (Unlike so many people on this forum!)

If someone beeps their horn at me, there is less chance of me letting them through! I hate people who do that!

I agree with MijnWraak + Syfoon
#41 - RS1T
Quote from Timdpr :Yeah, bit of a problem for cruisers. I don't cruise myself, but I do respect them. (Unlike so many people on this forum!)

thank you, youre the first person ive seen who isnt 10 years old.

Anyway keep the horns in, i give people a honk if they are a lap behind, and it works. Waste of dev time tbh
I'm sure it'd only take about 10 seconds to comment out the relevant lines, so wasting dev time isn't really a problem. The fact that race cars don't have horns (except, perhaps, in very few cases) is much more pressing really.

and I'd still call anyone who needs to use a horn whilst driving a fool. And if I was being lapped and they hooted (or spammed Blue Flag at me) then I have a funny feeling the overtake would end up as an accident (in pick up races anyway, not league races)
-
(Eaglezor) DELETED by Eaglezor
+1 by me.. Flashing the headlights means the same.

As a plus, the car radio should be removed from the interior.
+1 from me
Quote from ajp71 :Flashing the lights to intimidate isn't the done thing in real life, and if seen doing it excessively or whilst fighting for position you'll be hauled up in front of the clerk of the course.

I'm sure I saw practically *all* of the faster cars frantically flashing their lights to get past the slower classes in an ALMS race I watched a few weeks ago (but it was so boring I've never subjected myself to such torture since). I think even the commentator said they were doing that, didn't mention any penalties for it, almost as if it were the done thing.

Could be wrong though, it was so depressingly uninspiring to watch that I may have seen more to it than there was.

Personally I'd vote to remove them, they're not used in RL racing, and such cars aren't used to "cruise" in RL either. Shan't vote though, as I really am not bothered. If it's that big a deal, rename the horn file or ask someone to write a script that will let you toggle it.
silly idea... especially with the small ammount of racers who dont know how to look... you have to give notice...
Quote from NotAnIllusion :I'm sure I saw practically *all* of the faster cars frantically flashing their lights to get past the slower classes in an ALMS race I watched a few weeks ago (but it was so boring I've never subjected myself to such torture since). I think even the commentator said they were doing that, didn't mention any penalties for it, almost as if it were the done thing.

You're talking cars (of different classes and vastly different speeds) lapping each other, not fighting for position. Some series require the faster classes to have headlights on in daylight anyway.
Yesterday ,i wass watching in the "Autodromo De Argentina" some races. and the muffler sound of every car is is more noisy that the horn itself

What the point now here in LFS have the horn in the FXR,FZR,XRR , the cars muffler do more noise that the horn , go and try it...

Dont forget this is a sim race game , not a cruise sim game,
Remove horns and put hand shake or wave animation instead.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Remove horns and put hand shake or wave animation instead.

Good idea , but realy we need a better blink lights , more bright or something like that , to call the attention of the front driver.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG