The online racing simulator
You only have one life.

Ask yourself this. When your on your death bed and look back at your life do you really want to think -

"50 years ago when I was a healthy young man in a country with oppurtunities a plenty, why did I come up with so many excuses as to why I didn't go and do something I loved?"

You DO NOT want to be that person. Your healthy so do it. Whether you crash, finish last, or whatever... just do it Smile
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Even if at the tender age of 24, my chance of making F1 is slightly lower Shrug

slightly? don't most of these people get recruited at a young age while still karting? i'm 24 too, and i don't even think i'd have a remote chance of being in f1... it's still nice to pretend though. Big grin

having said that, if i had the means of getting into a car and racing, hell yes i'd do it. unfortunately, all i can afford is the odd trip to the kart track and doing 1:25:-- on a track with 1:18:-- PB's. (these kids must weigh 75-80 pounds) Shrug

i think that's more of the reason i got lfs to start with. Nod
Im doing saxmax Next Year, Fastest car out there is defo a PUG For stock hatch, its seriously good fun, If i could do Stock hatch il would rather do it than saxmax anyday.

ARDS Is Pips!
Exacltly the same as Mine Just learn the flags and your totally sorted
Driving is easier, im not the best of drivers and i passed
"Only regret things you did - not things that you could have done"
Quote from bunder9999 :slightly? don't most of these people get recruited at a young age while still karting? i'm 24 too, and i don't even think i'd have a remote chance of being in f1... it's still nice to pretend though. Big grin

Well you see, I still have a slight chance of getting a call up for Scotland in the world cup campaign....but if George Burely continues to ignore my sublime performances in my local 5's at the health centre....then I will have to forgore my dreams of pulling on the dark blue shirt of Scotland, and kick start my career into F1.
#31 - MR_B
Also have a look at SEMSEC in kent. Saw quite a good event from them at Brands Hatch on the 6th, entry's about £200.
-
(5haz) DELETED by 5haz
Quote from Intrepid :You only have one life.

Ask yourself this. When your on your death bed and look back at your life do you really want to think -

"50 years ago when I was a healthy young man in a country with oppurtunities a plenty, why did I come up with so many excuses as to why I didn't go and do something I loved?"

You DO NOT want to be that person. Your healthy so do it. Whether you crash, finish last, or whatever... just do it Smile

I couldn't agree more. IF you have the money to burn then go for it. Just don't take too many risks and try to stay out of trouble and it should be a positive experience irrespective of how well you actually do.
After all, when you die someday, we cant bring our money with us.So my advice is to spend it on whatever you love now, Shrug
Danowat, have you considered the Red Dragon Racing Mk1 MR2 series? That's what I run in and the cost for a season in it is less than what you had in mind for the Stock Hatch.

You can get a good fully prepped car for about £2k, sometimes even less. There's a great, friendly group of people who race in it and we do all the major tracks - Silverstone, Brands, Caddy, Snet, Mallory, Rockingham. The racing is very close wherever you are in the field and there's always a good tussell to be had. And the best bit is that if you bend it, you can more than often wack it out with a large hammer, some brute force and a bit of ignorance, or if you need to, you can get spares from eBay or a scrappy.

It's simply the cheapest form of track motorsport around which is why we did it. I really, really enjoy it, the cars are a joy to drive, especially when's there's 20 more of them next to you!

Have a look at www.MR2Racing.com, the offical website for the series. I've also put a load of in-car footage from the races up on Youtube, here; http://www.youtube.com/user/Gassolinebonce

Feel free to PM me if you want any more in-depth info or anything
And best of all, if you come to Snetterton on the 19th October, you'll get to watch me race and Alex race too (assuming I don't bend it again on the Saturday).
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Well you see, I still have a slight chance of getting a call up for Scotland in the world cup campaign....but if George Burely continues to ignore my sublime performances in my local 5's at the health centre....then I will have to forgore my dreams of pulling on the dark blue shirt of Scotland, and kick start my career into F1.

lol good old George Burley , ipswich fan :soccer: , same here unless i my + 20 at golf is a reconized talent then id say bye bye to my ryder cup hopes .
Quote from tristancliffe :(assuming I don't bend it again on the Saturday).

And assuming my engine doesn't die terminally for the 3rd meeting in a row...

PS Tristan, car up and running again yet?
Not quite. Rear wing mount now bent back into shape, and lower plane of the wing mounted. Just got to sort the end plates to get the upper plane at the right height, and straighten the track rod, and we'll be set. Currently DA sanding the Dallara tub (1/8" filler!!!!) ready for respraying... Plenty of time...
Quote from jwardy :lol good old George Burley , ipswich fan , same here unless i my + 20 at golf is a reconized talent then id say bye bye to my ryder cup hopes .

Gave up on Golf after a guy from Saudi Arabia said he like my digging attempt at hole 5 at my local, and offered me a chance to dig for oil.

In my defence that ball was plugged in so far, even the best bunker players would have struggled

Quote from tristancliffe :And best of all, if you come to Snetterton on the 19th October, you'll get to watch me race and Alex race too (assuming I don't bend it again on the Saturday).

I'd consider coming to Snet to watch to be honest, i'll see if i can sort out some transport...
I used to race a little... if you consider banger racing at ringwood as racing, or mashing up a sierra at sunseeker rally as taking part. Did try a few karting comps too, in reality it hurts the pocket more than its worth and thats why I have only tried a few times. If money grew on trees I would with great pleasure spend the rest of my life making a mess on the tracks. I guess I found scaletrix to be cheaper, add a cat and it actualy becomes entertaining, split the track, solder some connections and make a jump! Now you turn it into an art. Big grin Really, if you want to race, dig deep or find some very friendly joy riders! Shrug
Quote from Psysim :...in reality it hurts the pocket more than its worth..

I would disagree. I raced karts at club level on a stupidly tight budget and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I have some of my best and scariest memories from those days. Something I really miss being apart of, but reality hit and a mixture of money trouble + getting on with education meant I had to stop.

I now race 1/10th R/C touring cars to fill that gap!

Hopefully 6/7 years down the line after Uni I'll be in the position to race wheel to wheel again! At the moment I'm saving all the pennies to hill-climb/sprint the Locust 7 next year.

For any die hard racing fan, it's definitely something to experience the thrill of!
You kind of contradict your self there. What you consider cheap and what I consider cheap must be two different things, I remember it costing me about 500 per season and that would be without racing fees, that was just the (cheaper option) bangers. Now on to the rally, that racked me up in the thousands and I only ever had one car! Having done karting myself I have to ask, are you so rich you didn't notice the cost difference between a touring car and a kart? Really, get real! Uh-hu Where did you try these? On your ps2?

"I would disagree." And "mixture of money trouble" And "At the moment I'm saving all the pennies to hill-climb/sprint the Locust 7 next year"

The orignal post by danowat contained: "To fund this, I am going to have to flog my bike, and various other bits"

Are we getting there now???
Quote from keiran :I would disagree. I raced karts at club level on a stupidly tight budget and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I have some of my best and scariest memories from those days. Something I really miss being apart of, but reality hit and a mixture of money trouble + getting on with education meant I had to stop.

I now race 1/10th R/C touring cars to fill that gap!

Hopefully 6/7 years down the line after Uni I'll be in the position to race wheel to wheel again! At the moment I'm saving all the pennies to hill-climb/sprint the Locust 7 next year.

For any die hard racing fan, it's definitely something to experience the thrill of!

'an education' - the racers nemesis Smile
I already got my education: a bachelor's in electrical engineering. It's the student loan payments that are killing me. 10% of my monthly net pay goes straight to paying off my loans. I still do my best to save up for racing at the expense of pretty much everything else, though.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG