The online racing simulator
Driving BF1 upside down
(83 posts, started )
Driving BF1 upside down
No, it wouldn't be cool.
Cant say much. never seen a car do that IRL... but looks real.
Quote from Calvinaquino :Cant say much. never seen a car do that IRL... but looks real.

I don't think it really possible, well, driving for a long time difenetly. Driving for a few seconds might be possible in theory though, as when the car will be going upside down, the force pushing its driven wheels to the gorund will be much smaller the at horizontal position, so its more likely the car will have wheelspin, slow down (or even spin) and fall on the ground
Quote from Calvinaquino :Cant say much. never seen a car do that IRL... but looks real.

Well they say an Indy Car can be driven on the ceiling at 190km/h, at least theoretically...
With enough downforce, the tyres would be pressed into the ceiling enough to stop wheelspin sufficiently for a constant speed to be maintained. The braking and accelerating to speed can be done the right way up.
That would be a good stunt for Top Gear to perform.

I'm sure Richard Hammond will volunteer to do it; he has driven an F1 car before (at least, for low values of "driven"), and he has had a major crash already.

At maximum wing settings, the BF1 will be able to drive upside down as if it were the right way up, but without downforce, once it reaches a speed of 161mph. All we're missing is a section of track to test it, but the numbers shouldn't lie.
Scavier, GET TO WORK
I've wanted a stunt track in LFS since the first time I saw those pre-S1 shots. You know the ones; glorious untextured objects, bright green and yellow polygonal shapes. From a time long ago.

I'd love to see some kind of indoor arena with massive jumps and rings of fire to jump through and stuff
Would the engine work upside down?
what i dong get is why they dont just prove the point irl by putting a f1 in a wind tunnel nailed to the celing and put the fans on max, then let go of the f1?
#16 - 5haz
Quote from S14 DRIFT : Yah.

Not cool but I still want it

Are you programmed to simply diss the thread in your first post in it?

Joking.

Its a theory people have talked about for years, but I can't see the health and safety men allowing it.
Oooh, we need a track to test this. Would be some nice advertising for LFS too as it'd be the first sim to prove the theory.
Quote from J@tko :Yes.

Would it? Why have the F1 teams designed their engines to be capable of negative-g? Why bother with scavenge pumps in the cylinder head, and oil tanks designed to separate air/oil when inverted if they never are.

The answer is: No, the engines, fuel system and transmission would need to be heavily modified to make them work (amongst other things).
What about Spa? They get enough of negative g on the top of the hill at eu rouge. Even if that's for a split of a second
Quote from tristancliffe :Would it? Why have the F1 teams designed their engines to be capable of negative-g? Why bother with scavenge pumps in the cylinder head, and oil tanks designed to separate air/oil when inverted if they never are.

The answer is: No, the engines, fuel system and transmission would need to be heavily modified to make them work (amongst other things).

Oh.
Quote from marsaz :Even if that's for a split of a second

I think you answered the question yourself
Quote from 5haz :Are you programmed to simply diss the thread in your first post in it?

Joking.

Its a theory people have talked about for years, but I can't see the health and safety men allowing it.

Uhm. IDK
RC car anyone?

also if it is EFI, engine will still work, if it has a carb (and a float) won't work but then remember that F1 do have EFI
Quote :what i dong get is why they dont just prove the point irl by putting a f1 in a wind tunnel nailed to the celing and put the fans on max, then let go of the f1?

You can buy a year old F1 from Ferrari and donate it to the cause if you wish... Mathematically the principle is sound, the amount of downforce generated by current F1's is greater than the weight. There isn't a tunnel suiteable in the world to test it for real, but some of the bigger wind tunnels can probably generate sufficient wind I guess .

It might not be the case next year, they're reducing the aerodynamic downforce on F1's by quite a lot and going back to reliance on mechanical grip, although i've no idea if the amount they're taking away will prevent the cars from doing this particular 'stunt'.

However doing it in LFS would prove nothing more than the current aerodynamic simulations and mathematical calculations that created the theory.
Quote from tristancliffe :Would it? Why have the F1 teams designed their engines to be capable of negative-g? Why bother with scavenge pumps in the cylinder head, and oil tanks designed to separate air/oil when inverted if they never are.

id guess that a lot of the solutions to make the car work during longish periods of 2-3 lateral g would also help with negatives

Quote from Becky Rose :However doing it in LFS would prove nothing more than the current aerodynamic simulations and mathematical calculations that created the theory.

well it would prove a point about the superiority of lfs' formulaic approach to physics opposed to the more usual table based one which is likely to break down in such unusual circumstances

Driving BF1 upside down
(83 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG