The online racing simulator
Skins dont work since patch Z
(30 posts, started )
#1 - WF07
Skins won't show up in the menu when I click on textures, or "new". I have them in the correct folder, with the correct name, and they all work because they all used to work since I installed patch Z.

I would like to know a fix for this, and will appreciate any help.
Are you sure, the skins are in the right folder? LFS/data/skins
#3 - WF07
Yes. Definitley. As I say, they always used to work.
You have to rename all skin files from e.g. XR GT Turbo to XRT_dududu (the shortcut names)
There was a programm here on the forums which does it, use search.
#5 - WF07
Well, they are all "XFG_blah" but there are some which are "XFG_blah_blah"... does that matter?

I have vista, and when I go into the skins folder, none of the skins appear, and then I click the button at the top called "compatibility files", and then they all show up. This used to happen. Any ideas?
Just tried it out, yes, it works.
About vista i have no clue. :shrugs:
#7 - J@tko
Quote from WF07 :I have vista, and when I go into the skins folder, none of the skins appear, and then I click the button at the top called "compatibility files", and then they all show up. This used to happen. Any ideas?

Hmm, same here but i can select them in game :S

Whers the compatibility button btw?
Quote from fraghetti :You have to rename all skin files from e.g. XR GT Turbo to XRT_dududu (the shortcut names)
There was a programm here on the forums which does it, use search.

This was the case with setups.
@topic: are the skins readonly?
Or do you have lfs not running as administrator?
#9 - J@tko
Quote from Stefani24 :This was the case with setups.

I haz skins as read only and they still work.

And its running as admin, but thats right
Vista has nothing to do and should have nothing to do with skins in LFS not working. Try reinstalling LFS?
Could be a possibility too
#12 - WF07
Quote from Stefani24 :This was the case with setups.

lfs is running as admin. Skins read only I dont know, but that doesnt seem to be a problem. Will try to re-install, but that involves me having to redownload because I never "save" I always "run".

If I dont run as admin I get an error with "could not read the fonts" or something, so it needs to be admin.

This has only happened since Z.
Quote from WF07 :lfs is running as admin. Skins read only I dont know, but that doesnt seem to be a problem. Will try to re-install, but that involves me having to redownload because I never "save" I always "run".

If I dont run as admin I get an error with "could not read the fonts" or something, so it needs to be admin.

This has only happened since Z.

Like I said, try backing up your skins and setups folders and reinstalling LFS.
#14 - Gunn
Don't "reinstall" LFS. LFS isn't "installed" in Windows in the first place.

There will be a simple explanation.

- Was LFS updated using the online updater or by downloading and applying a patch?
- Which patch exactly did you use?

When you start LFS now, what version number appears at the bottom of the screen?
yeah if anyone figures this out I have a friend with the exact same problem .. on vista also?!
#16 - WF07
Quote from Gunn :Don't "reinstall" LFS. LFS isn't "installed" in Windows in the first place.

There will be a simple explanation.

- Was LFS updated using the online updater or by downloading and applying a patch?
- Which patch exactly did you use?

When you start LFS now, what version number appears at the bottom of the screen?

Would have been in game, using the most local one to me (european) - UK. It says "0.5Z"

So... a re-install won't help?
Quote from WF07 :Would have been in game, using the most local one to me (european) - UK. It says "0.5Z"

So... a re-install won't help?

No you misunderstand what he's trying to say.

When you install a game it adds data to the registry in windows as well as the game files. LFS only puts the game files onto your PC, it doesn't add any other information so you don't really install or uninstall LFS.

It's just a small point......

Just try downloading it again, "install" it and see if it works, it's the easiest thing to try.
#18 - WF07
why don't I delete the registry entries then??? I can do a manual uninstall very easily.
Quote from WF07 :why don't I delete the registry entries then??? I can do a manual uninstall very easily.

Because LFS doesnt do anything to the registry
#20 - WF07
Quote from J@tko :Because LFS doesnt do anything to the registry

??? Yes, it does a heck of a lot.

I am in the process of trying to reinstall from scratch now and boy is this the most confusing game to install!?

I thought it was easy, but when I download, It opens 7 ZIP, and installs from there, then when I try to find the files, they aren't in the folder I have selected!??

So confusing, and no... I am not a n00b, I understand computers quite thouroughly thankyou!
Quote from WF07 :??? Yes, it does a heck of a lot.

I am in the process of trying to reinstall from scratch now and boy is this the most confusing game to install!?

I thought it was easy, but when I download, It opens 7 ZIP, and installs from there, then when I try to find the files, they aren't in the folder I have selected!??

So confusing, and no... I am not a n00b, I understand computers quite thouroughly thankyou!

No it doesn't!

If it did, you'd find it on Add/Remove programs in Control Panel.

And it works fine for me

Try extracting them to somewhere else.
Quote from WF07 :boy is this the most confusing game to install!?
I am not a n00b, I understand computers quite thouroughly thankyou!

Quite a large contradiction there

LFS is almost the easiest game in existence to install. Run the extractor, and set it to where you want it to extract. Go there, and run LFS. Job done

You can extract it absolutely any where, and it works. And it doesn't use the registry. If it did, it would come with an installer that adds registry files, and you wouldn't be able to move LFS around willy-nilly, as it would be tied to C:\Program Files\LFS or whatever...
#23 - Jakg
Quote from WF07 :So confusing, and no... I am not a n00b, I understand computers quite thouroughly thankyou!

If you've got WinRAR installed, Right Click->Extract to Folder, put the folder wherever you want, go in and run LFS.exe.

Honestly it's as easy as piss for someone who "understands computers quite thouroughly"
^ Or 7-Zip.
#25 - WF07
Ok.. the reason it was hard is because I have vista trying it's best to hide every folder on this computer from me.

Sorted now. And the skins are sorted. Now they just work. Re-install fixed it. Weird as.

(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG