The online racing simulator
Mature response only! (about rFactor)
(44 posts, closed, started )
With the only true competitor to LFS emerging (rfactor) within a few days, how will the lfs community react, it’s a good sim game and with no doubt will give LSF a run for it’s money, what I see as a challenge for both teams is a way to eradicate wreakers, too make a sim that corresponds to racing rules. A driver can only switch lanes once on the main strait for example.

Anyway let me know what you think, for any constructive criticism you should have played the multiplayer test for at least a 1:06 around the demo track (rfactor test).

Two great sims head too head.

Keep well

Ruckus37
LFS has truer physics, ask the rfactor guys why we cant have a live suspension view like LFS has.... (shift-L)
Well, it would seem that I can't play the game at all. As there coders have not thought about 64bit in any way shape or form. Where as I can play, and do play Live For Speed on my 64bit computer right now. I am very disappointed in rfactor as of now. They just don't get it. They just don't have the same charm as the Live For Speed devs. Live For Speed works on ALL platforms, not just Windows, but Linux too. And as I can see, it is not locked down to a single architecture. Not just 32bit, but 64bit aswell. Once rfactor gets to this level, then they can compeat with Live For Speed. As of now, they are just in the minor leagues.
i think rfactor will be nice but LFS has alot more potential..
yep.. gotta agree with r3dman; rfactor looks like a really promising game; but since LFS is only a works in progress, its just got potential to look out for

but so far.. rfactor handles right, sounds really nice.. has some nice graphics, but some are a bit odd at same time
What is this rfactor thingy? never heard about it. sounds boring.
i dont see anything wrong with LFS enough to make it stop playing it in favour of something else

and i dunno but it will be hard pressed to have the same community,modability and dev interaction of LFS
I never judge anything till I've played it. Everyone seems to have given rFactor 11 out of 10 already.

I'll give it a good chance, I hope it is better than LFS, better is progress. I don't like the gfx all that much, the surfaces are all too shiney for starters, and if the menus are the same as the mp demo then I already don't like those, the MP code and systems have to be a fair bit better than in the demo too (even the latest version) but as I said, I'll be judging the actual thing with total open-mindness and impartiality when I get it. I hope everyone does the same.
#9 - Silly
Well I did a few hundred laps in the MP demo. I like it, especially the sound. On the downside the physics engine was not nearly good enough to keep me thrilled for long because it's just very simplified, like an old muscle car, it's fine in straight line, but that's about it.

So I'm looking forward to the full game as the new full physics engine is supposedly pretty good. I want it to be good - I have been wishing for a *moddable* sim with very good physics for a while, but so far I haven't joined in with the 'are we there yet' crowd at RSC for lack of evidence. I want to see some nice long (not gimmicky or AI-only) vids of rF.

TBH, the ASS review sounded a bit like the reviewers received a whiff of meth everytime they depressed the accelerator.
I think both LFS and rFactor deserves to be played. I will run LFS because of the great cars, the great tracks and the great multiplayer. I will also race rFactor because of the great cars, the great tracks and hopefully, the treat multiplayer. And even if rFactor doesn't have great tracks and great cars from the beginning, it is modable and so, in time, there will be great tracks and great cars.

Why chose one when you can have both?
rFactor seems to be all hype at the moment, so we should reserve judgement until its out (it was officially delayed today I think, or yesterday, for another week).

However, I think we'll see the rFactor devs leave it behind in a short while, leaving it only to the community. This won't be happening with LFS for a while yet, as we get patches and extra features. Therefore I think LFS has more potential than rFactor on this basis.

Maybe I'll be wrong, but I'm NOT preordering rFactor, and I HAVE preordered S3.
#12 - Woz
I have not pre-ordered rFactor because the demo will not run due to the stupid protection they have where a date change results in the demo never running again. So I will wait for the results of the full release.

That said, the potential for mod teams is massive. The only ISI sim I have had before was F1C and I only got this for the mods. The mods will be the key to rFactor.
Quote from tristancliffe :Maybe I'll be wrong, but I'm NOT preordering rFactor, and I HAVE preordered S3.

But You ARE going to preorder any ISIMotor3 sim that might come allong in the future
I've just never cared for any of the ISI/Simbin stuff. Graphics look funny, sounds not quite right, odd FFB, weird bobbing motions, etc. I bought F1 2002, F1C, played the GTR mod and the GTR and GTL demos. All seems like the same game. Just can't get into it. I'll probably keep racing LFS and wait for the next big thing from Kaemmer (Papyrus founder)
I guess the community will start ranting and moaning that rfactor sucks and it makes all the problems with LFS not important, an excuse if you want to call it that pretty much how the LFS reacts towards any other sim is to say LFS does this well, the other sim sucks, atleast thats what I've read on this forum when any other sim is mentioned
Quote from Forum Member :I guess the community will start ranting and moaning that [INSERT NAME OF COMPETING SIM] sucks and it makes all the problems with [INSERT NAME OF CURRENT FORUM SIM] not important, an excuse if you want to call it that pretty much how the [INSERT NAME OF CURRENT FORUM SIM] reacts towards any other sim is to say [INSERT NAME OF CURRENT FORUM SIM] does this well, the other sim sucks, atleast thats what I've read on this forum when any other sim is mentioned

I guess Rfactor will be a wannabe LFS
With a few more extras, because they have more developers, but LFS is work in progress and I BET in 5 years, noone will code the physics like Scawen has coded them.
#18 - Gunn
rFactor does not appeal to me at all from what I have played and seen. They seem to pitching to the modders mainly which means lots of cool modding fun coming up for many, but for racing and realistic physics I'll stick with the sim (LFS). I guess there would be a chance that I may buy rFactor, but I hardly need it since I have LFS, and it could never replace LFS. No competition at all there.
#19 - Gunn
Quote from RichardTowler :I guess the community will start ranting and moaning that rfactor sucks and it makes all the problems with LFS not important, an excuse if you want to call it that pretty much how the LFS reacts towards any other sim is to say LFS does this well, the other sim sucks, atleast thats what I've read on this forum when any other sim is mentioned

I know some people harp on about how the LFS commuity seems to discard other sims flippantly and easily, and this is somehow percieved as being narrow-minded or biased towards other possibilities. I can only speak for myself since I am one of those who appears to fit into this so-called "fanboy" category.

I have been playing racing games/sims for as long as anybody has and I have always enjoyed improvements in physics, FFB, and the technological advances in processing power and graphics that have evolved along the way. Each year a better title emerged but never quite hitting the mark for me. I purchased GPL a few days after it was released and my dreams had come true, this at least felt real.

I have continued to try different titles over the years since then and when LFS came along I finally found what I was looking for. It obviously had a long way to go but it was equally obvious where it was going. I have no problem or issue with being called biased. If and when another sim emerges that aims for the same goals that LFS is aiming for then I will be even happier than I am now, until then I can easily (and flippantly) dismiss any so-called contenders. I even enjoy it.

This is not "fanboyism", blind acceptance and defense of somthing without considering the alternatives, not at all. When someone gets off their bum and adopts a philosophy that aims for realism in the way the car behaves within the "physical" envinronment and focusing strongly on the racing element, rather than trying to wow people with content just so they fork over their cash, then they would threaten to become a rival to LFS in my mind.

rFactor seems very much to be promoting the modding side of their game and this is a great thing for a lot of people, I'm sure rFactor will be well-loved and long-lived. I'm not getting excited though, it just doesn't push the right buttons in me, it's simply not what I'm looking for.

Just remember that when someone says they don't like something, they are not saying "I don't like everybody who does like it". People take it so personally when something they like is insulted. People are satisfied by different things, it's just the way we are. I don't need to justify to others why LFS is my prefered title. If you are looking for the same things I am you probably feel the same. Are you biased or have you just found exactly what you have been looking for?
Quote from RichardTowler :I guess the community will start ranting and moaning that rfactor sucks and it makes all the problems with LFS not important, an excuse if you want to call it that pretty much how the LFS reacts towards any other sim is to say LFS does this well, the other sim sucks, atleast thats what I've read on this forum when any other sim is mentioned

I think you see it wrong, Rich. The biggest difference in LFS is, that we know and accept the still not finished parts, bugs, some unrealistic things (oval-setups ) etc. cause we know, we have an open ear on the dev-side and that things will change. Cause we for sure have the Sim with the best support ever, and the best contact from Devs to community. I have no problem with people criticising LFS; if they take into account, that their critics will be adressed and thought about deeply. I have a problem with ISI or GTR fanboyism, that say their game is perfect.
There are posts about wrong physics in LFS, with well written arguments, and they are adressed maturely, while a similar post in any ISI-based Simforum is flamed to death, just cause people think to know you (I) are (am) a LFS fanboy. That is annoying.

I wouldnt even flame Greger, knowing he likes GTR

Best example threads:
GTR-Forum:
Q: I get CTD and 1fps-bug, will there be a patch?
A: Must be your problem, learn to setup your system right, GTR runs perfectly on my sys.

LFS-Forum:
Q: I get CTD when doing this and that.
A: What are ur sys spec? You tried this? can you check for errormessages? Post them here please, I (Scawen) will have a look into it.

God damn, scawen even coded patches cause one single person had a strange bug...
Get the idea?

BTT: I'll have a look at ISI, but honestly, I doubt it will have a huge online Life. There'll be some cool mods, and some cool small mod-only leagues, but you wont have a good overall basis, especially cause ISI goes the hard way of selling over web only. They overestimate there some stuff a lot. F1C was so succesful, cause it was F1 and still easy to buy in shops after a year or so for less money to get the mods. rF wont be in shops, will only reach a limited amount of people, especially cause the community is still really small.
rFactor does look like it will be quite good but I just can't see it tearing me away from LFS.
My understanding is that the demo won't be released untill after the full release which seems very strange and worries me just a little. It just doesn't make much sense and I wonder if there's some ulterior motive behind it. I don't expect there is but it is curious.
The tuning aspect of the game also worries me a touch, I would expect there to be some very strict server side class restrictions to provide fair online competition. If it comes down to just having to have all the upgrades to compete I feel that will be to it's detriment.

There's some quite strange anti-LFS sentiment around the place and I have to admit I wouldn't mind seeing rFactor fail just to stick it up some of these people. To be honest though I wish ISI luck and hope it does turn out to be good.
#22 - ysu
Hehe, sarsi
" I wouldn't mind seeing rFactor fail just to stick it up some of these people."
a classic :-)
I think it's doomed to fail to a certain extent.
why?
There's way too much hype around it, it simply cannot be flawless, that's near impossible. I think people will expect much more than they will get. But with no demo available, many will rush into buying it because of the extremely positive reviews...then they'll probably be midly annoyed.
I guess we'll see in a few weeks/months :-)

btw the arrogance of the fF fanbois seems to annoy me a little too...:-)
Quote from tailing :rFactor does look like it will be quite good but I just can't see it tearing me away from LFS.
My understanding is that the demo won't be released untill after the full release which seems very strange and worries me just a little. It just doesn't make much sense and I wonder if there's some ulterior motive behind it. I don't expect there is but it is curious.
The tuning aspect of the game also worries me a touch, I would expect there to be some very strict server side class restrictions to provide fair online competition. If it comes down to just having to have all the upgrades to compete I feel that will be to it's detriment.

There's some quite strange anti-LFS sentiment around the place and I have to admit I wouldn't mind seeing rFactor fail just to stick it up some of these people. To be honest though I wish ISI luck and hope it does turn out to be good.

Agree, although I have purchased rFactor, mainly because of the games moddability - It's going to be great to see new tracks/cars/series added by the community. I think with the release of S3, even though it's quite a long way away, we'll see some great additions to LFS too.
I'm just pissed that I can't race the FXR against the Howston!!

1st post!!! Man, I been lurking waaaay too long around here...
Thoughts...
I kind of like rFactor's feel. Actually... I like it alot. Planning to purchase it, no doubt.

Some of you sound so certain that LFS will continue to evolve for years to come. Personally... I find it hard to believe that there will be a big development coming after the release of S2 final. Patches are sure to come, though, but I will be surprised if the devs have motivation left to upgrade (or perhaps rewrite) the graphic, sound and physics engine to keep up with the competition in the future.

Sorry if I sound too pessimistic...
This thread is closed

(44 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG