The online racing simulator
Is this kind of street racing legal?
(36 posts, started )
The law must be lopsided to an extent to protect the rights of cyclists (in this instance though I think the cyclist was way out of line). If the laws were less biased (yes, as a cyclist I am admiting that they are biased), we would get bullied even more than we do by dumbass drivers.
Quote from speed1 :The law must be lopsided to an extent to protect the rights of cyclists (in this instance though I think the cyclist was way out of line). If the laws were less biased (yes, as a cyclist I am admiting that they are biased), we would get bullied even more than we do by dumbass drivers.

I am also mainly a cyclist, and I think that bikes of a certain category should be treated in the same way as cars. Insured, taxed and with specific laws on how they are maintained. But this can only happen if cyclists are given proper routes and facilities. So, it seems that cyclists sometimes don't have an option to ride on the pavement, putting themselves at less risk but putting those on the sidewalk in peril.
Quote from Mp3 Astra :I am also mainly a cyclist, and I think that bikes of a certain category should be treated in the same way as cars. Insured, taxed and with specific laws on how they are maintained. But this can only happen if cyclists are given proper routes and facilities. So, it seems that cyclists sometimes don't have an option to ride on the pavement, putting themselves at less risk but putting those on the sidewalk in peril.

Come ride in the US. People ride many times because they cant afford all the things that come with bikes. If you are on the road you should know the laws, but there should be no need for a license.
Quote from speedway :
let me correct that for you: ...because they dont risc other peoples life or health...

I'll go ahead and disagree. It's easy to reach speeds on public roads that can break bones when you hit a pedestrian or another cycler.

Quote from batteryy :
anyone know do we need lighs in finland?

Yes. Check out http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2002/20021250

Section 5, §16 onwards.
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
Quote from Bladerunner :O RLY????

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/ar ... =208306&in_page_id=34

How come manslaughter goes for 2k there? That's ridiculous - he killed someone, no matter how - and it's not really an accident if you don't even try to stop for a pedestrian, that's pretty much deliberate.

Quote from Mp3 Astra :I am also mainly a cyclist, and I think that bikes of a certain category should be treated in the same way as cars. Insured, taxed and with specific laws on how they are maintained. But this can only happen if cyclists are given proper routes and facilities. So, it seems that cyclists sometimes don't have an option to ride on the pavement, putting themselves at less risk but putting those on the sidewalk in peril.

I'm more of the "educate the cyclists" approach than segregating them. Adequately fit cyclists who can move at a decent speed and follow traffic laws, keep their bicycle in good shape, know how to move in traffic and let other vehicles know of their intentions leave little to chance and keep themselves and others out of harm's way.

However re-reading the above and considering cyclists I see on the streets every day, I admit that it's a bit on the ideal side of things.
Quote from xaotik :

I'm more of the "educate the cyclists" approach than segregating them. Adequately fit cyclists who can move at a decent speed and follow traffic laws, keep their bicycle in good shape, know how to move in traffic and let other vehicles know of their intentions leave little to chance and keep themselves and others out of harm's way.

However re-reading the above and considering cyclists I see on the streets every day, I admit that it's a bit on the ideal side of things.

I second everything you said.
Quote from speedway :
However, my previous statement was just about that specific video.

Replace those bikes with 2 ton "performance" cars and I'll be fine. If the nitwits manage to kill/harm themselves (only, that is) in the process of racing on an empty bridge in the middle of the night it'll make me even happier, provided no public property is damaged as that's recovered from local council taxation Tilt
Two of my friends and I (they stayed overnight to watch the olympic MTB race with me) went out at about 6 am when it was still darkish and did some similar type things, only rather than drag racing, we did a kind or rally SS type thing. We went to the big smooth parking lot of my high school and set up a course that weaved in between some lamps and ended adjasant to where we started. Lots-O-fun. We'll have to post a vid of the next time we go. We were hitting about 25-30 mph, so not crazy fast, but we were having a great time turning and burning. Best part is, we got a few more interested I think. I love riding on the road at this time in the morning. You can see without a light (I put a reflector on up front and a strobe on out back though), and nobody is on the road.

Edit: only bad part is that one of my friends has only a MTB and my other friend and I were riding road bikes (the two road bikes were semi-even; I could get him on the straight aways and chicanes due to my short wheel base, thinner tires and lighter bike, but he had way more overall grip, due to wider tires and a more flexy fork, and most of the turns were sweepers that were to tight to pedal on)
Ive often driven in the fields /wo lights, even if they were mounted (too lazy, and its fun when you dont see the bumps.)

Is this kind of street racing legal?
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG