The online racing simulator
Something that deadly, can be that beautifull?
I was recently browsing youtube in search of entertainment.
This does not have any value as beeing funny or anything, but it's definitive one of my favorite clips of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmWBY283o5s

Post a comment here what you think about it, maybe we can have a discussion about the subject aswell?

And no, I do not want to hear "wooaaw so cool" comments, thanks.
I also made the expirience, first time i saw bomb launches (at youtube), i didnt know if i want to see it beautiful, or awful. I decided for both.
But instead of beautiful, you can say fascinating.
Maybe, still, strange to find something THAT devastating, so .. I would call it beautifull. The music fits the clip perfect.
Watch at the end with ragdol, those immages, when that massive red/orrange/white explosion consumes everything in a massive fireball in front of the doll, that was just truelly amazing.
#4 - 5haz
I find it simply incredible that all that power comes from things too small to see, and the fact that only a few kilogrames of the stuff smashed together is enough to create a fireball over a mile wide.

Atomic bombs are a major human acheivement, but for all the wrong reasons.
that looks so beautiful, it doesnt feal good cos all the people gets dead but its just so beautiful explosion. i kind of a hate to see it exploding but i same time like it...? strange
I get the same twisted feelings with many videos of "funny" accidents. Some viewers roar with laughter, but I often cringe because people could get seriously injured.

I think you can experience beauty because the consequences are hidden from sight. (Okay, these shots are all from tests, so nobody got hurt. Except for the wildlife, and the people who got cancer a few decades later.) For a better balance you should at least hear the actual sound of the blasts. Or even better, survivors' stories from Hiroshima and Nagasaki, talking about loved ones being cooked alive or slowly dying from radiation.

Another antidote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-DeHE1V-uk
I personaly think bombs are the most awfull creation to ever arise from the brains of men.

The entire cocept of them to meant to kill people is scary and horrifying to me I just can't imagine the heel those opeople had to go trough.
I dont wish this kind of fate to anyonemaybe only to the most evil of evil but, civilians wil always get hurt wich a far to great price.

It is treu i love technoligy but i just F$$ckin hate bombs
and i wil never claim they are beatifull
i like fire
#9 - bbman
Quote from 5haz :I find it simply incredible that all that power comes from things too small to see, and the fact that only a few kilogrames of the stuff smashed together is enough to create a fireball over a mile wide.

Atomic bombs are a major human acheivement, but for all the wrong reasons.

I recently heard the bomb on Hiroshima featured just 4 grams of radioactive material...

Anyway, blasts that massive are astonishing, but beautiful?
Just remember there's always someone throwing the bomb. Bombs don't kill people on their own. They are just a result of people being too stupid to live together peacefully.
War machines in general seem fascinating to me, their purpose is what I hate, but the engineering behind them is something just amazing.
once i had a dream in which i was with my father in a ship seeing the nukes exploding far below

the view was in fact beatifull, like fire works but it felt horible, the whole world diying with no more future
Quote from bbman :I recently heard the bomb on Hiroshima featured just 4 grams of radioactive material...

"No critical mass = no nuclear fission"

The Hiroshima Bomb was based on Uranium-235 and the critical mass for Uranium is around 50kg so they took 60kg for that bomb.

Even if an atomic bomb is made of Plutonium-239 then they at least needed ~6 to 7kg to get a critical mass (they used ~ 6 to 8kg for the Nakasaki bomb) ,
so what you heard about the 4 grams is complete nonsens.
Quote from BBO@BSR :so what you heard about the 4 grams is complete nonsens.

my knowledge on nuclear physics is somewhat rusty, but of all the 60kg, i think that if 4g of it is in fact radioactive, it is enough to start a chain reaction.

something along the lines that even if 1 in 10^10 atoms was charged by just one electron more, even a potato would explode fiercely
Quote from george_tsiros :my knowledge on nuclear physics is somewhat rusty, but of all the 60kg, i think that if 4g of it is in fact radioactive, it is enough to start a chain reaction.

Read up on critical mass.

Quote from george_tsiros : something along the lines that even if 1 in 10^10 atoms was charged by just one electron more, even a potato would explode fiercely

I'm not sure what you mean by this, could you explain it a bit more please?
There is a beauty to the blasts, the shapes and patterns, the way a part emerges from another, particularly the water ones. If it were a harmless firework it would be beautiful.
Obviously if you had the chance to wish for something to vanish from the earth nuclear weapons would be high on the list, there's just too great a risk/opportunity for one man to destroy too much. I think it's unfathomably insane that poison gas and other chemical weapons are "banned", while the major (and other) powers continue to control a vast number of "nuclear deterrents", as if a chemical-weapon is too evil to be a deterrent, but nuclear weapons are "A-okay" (hah) as long as they pretend to be disarming once in a while.

I know there's an argument that they prevent conflict because they pose a threat. I, however, would prefer it if we didn't live under such a shadow, and would be mortified if the UK, or one of its "allies" ever actually launched a nuclear weapon in retaliation for an attack of any kind.

Peace held together by nuclear weapons isn't peace anyway, but they're literally never ever all going to go away are they. How depressing is that?!
It's hard to describe, but you should take a look on Wikipedia for a description on how nukes work, it ain't just to push a button and then it goes off, it's pretty much stuff happning _in_ the bomb, that causes a chain reaction that again leads to the conclusion - a hell of a bang.

Tbh I can't see any values of having bombs like these in the world. Sure, it's a great toy to scare the enemies with , "attack us (like we, not like USA) and we nuke you back to stone age" .

A shame those bombs are pretty, but I guess it's a human thing to think something like that is interesting. Humans are a curious beeing.
Quote from george_tsiros :my knowledge on nuclear physics is somewhat rusty, but of all the 60kg, i think that if 4g of it is in fact radioactive, it is enough to start a chain reaction.

something along the lines that even if 1 in 10^10 atoms was charged by just one electron more, even a potato would explode fiercely

I'm also not a nuclear physician but from what I read you can't have a stable chain reaction with 4g of whatever radioactive stuff.
It makes bang but it's not a proper atomic bomb.
And else everyone would have had mini-nukes for ages.

Google for Little Boy and Fat Man that's what these 2 bombs was called
or wait ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Boy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_man
Quote from sinbad :I know there's an argument that they prevent conflict because they pose a threat.

They do?? The world has been on the brink of nuclear war a couple of times...
An interesting film which is somewhat centred around this debate is The Fog Of War.
Quote from amp88 :Read up on critical mass.

nah. not yet. exams for nuclear physics are not here yet. i have to study other stuff first (that is why i find the comment about reading wikipedia funny )

Quote from amp88 :
I'm not sure what you mean by this, could you explain it a bit more please?

calculate the potential energy if of all the atoms in a medium sized potato, every one in 10^10 has just one electron more... (just the order of magnitude... if you just don't want to do that, let me just say that the (electrostatic) energy that would be contained in that potato would be ****ING RIDICULOUSLY ENORMOUS just with one out of 10000000000 atoms having just one electron more)
Its easy to survive an anotimic bomb, even if you're right next to it. Just get in a fridge.

Or so George Lucas would have us believe.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG