The online racing simulator
graphics card dying???
(21 posts, started )
graphics card dying???
I have only had my nvidia nv5500 for a month or so and it has been fine until today. Although it only did it once, and it went back to normal again after about 15 seconds. Could this suggest a card problem, i have all the updated drivers. I have attached a picture as its kind of hard to explain.
As i say it only happened once, but scared the c#%p outta me and i ended up in the fence very soon after this picture was taken. I have got my old geforce4 mx440, and an old geforce3 titanium200 if i have to but they are way old and i dont fancy being in the 3fps club again!
Attached images
what has happened!.jpg
whats the temp of the card?
not sure, as i have not been able to find a program that tells me sensible readings (according to my rivatuner display, my gfx card temp is 0 degrees c!) To touch, it just feels kind of body temperature, so fairly cool i would say.
EDIT: My graphics card fan occasionally makes the following niose when i first switch the computer on, but the noise stops after about 30 seconds or so. I have looked inside the computer when the noise is happening and the fan is spinning ok but just making a noise. I thought the fan may be siezing up but the speed of the fan seems constant whether It is making noise or not.
This is the noise.
Attached files
horrible sound from inside computer.mp3 - 149.7 KB - 164 views
-
(mobiholik) DELETED by Bob Smith : don't offer serials, thanks
your fan is dying and your gpu is getting hot.
get some proper spray for motors or something. ask around, i do not know how they are called.
that might not be related to the texture corruption. that could be many things.
I have a fan from an old pentium 4 cpu that works, will this be ok to use as i can easily chop the wiring and mount this in the place of the old dying fan??
no.
(the easy answer)
ok i wont do that then. i just thought big fan = cooler! I have a an evercool fan as well, that is about 40mm in size. I think i will use that until i can get a good radeon card (the best for LFS i hear!)
i had a nvidia 5500 FX, didnt take long for it to crap itself, and i have good working fans and mine did the exact same thing with the textures and funky colours, i then upgraded to a 8800 GT, best thing ive done in along time
#9 - tisy0
Hmm
Alot of people have had that problem on here and the end result has been buying a new graphics card, It seems like the best way mate.
The graphics card is probably just packing up.
Quote from danthebangerboy :I have only had my nvidia nv5500 for a month or so and it has been fine until today. Although it only did it once, and it went back to normal again after about 15 seconds. Could this suggest a card problem, i have all the updated drivers. I have attached a picture as its kind of hard to explain.
As i say it only happened once, but scared the c#%p outta me and i ended up in the fence very soon after this picture was taken. I have got my old geforce4 mx440, and an old geforce3 titanium200 if i have to but they are way old and i dont fancy being in the 3fps club again!

Dont think theres anything up with ya card,they look like some graphic files that have been left in your vid cards memory , probably by a previous graphic intensive application,you wernt playing another game prior to running lfs were you?.
I always reboot before running lfs! ....this ensures anything left behind is dumped and your card reinitialised corrctly.
#11 - Jakg
GPU-Z or nVidia nTune should tell you the temperature - that looks like either an overheating card or a card with dieining memory.

I highly doubt the poster aboves explanation is correct.
Quote from Jakg :

I highly doubt the poster aboves explanation is correct.

QFT.

and yes its probably dying.
the weird explanation about memory corrupted by other apps would hold if the drivers have gone really wonky.
thanks for the help, but im stuck with AGP, pci-e wont fit my motherboard, plus the one i linked has double the memory!
Quote from danthebangerboy :thanks for the help, but im stuck with AGP, pci-e wont fit my motherboard, plus the one i linked has double the memory!

The one he posted is AGP and it also has more memory clock speed...but its £13 more
Dan, I'd get the Radeon 2600XT mate, Its a great little card,
Getting 50FPS with 8x AA, 16x Texture, I had the same problem with my old card so I bought the 2600, Works a dream!
My processor also isnt great so

Gets 120-180FPS with no AA, only texture
New card arrived today! after some giggery pokery with the yellow/red/black multiplugs to get power to it its running like a dream. With every setting flat out in LFS im getting 60ish fps which is brilliant! Only small problem is that the new card seems to have broken pc wizard 2008 for some reason.

graphics card dying???
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG