Quote from J@tko :[OT] Yes I'm back from Florida Saw some great T-Shirts too

e.g: My Favourite Place: 127.0.0.1 [/OT]

Geeky T-Shirts thread time?

C:/DOS
C:/DOS/RUN
RUN/DOS/RUN!
Sorry for O/Tness *sorry face*
Haha yeah I saw some great ones

The best one needs photoshop to recreate though...

Joe!

EDIT: No more T-Shirt ideas please!
Ayees?
Quote from J@tko :We are pleased to announce the LFSBC Season 2 Calendar.

Race Calendar
Round 4 - 13/9/08 - AS3 – FOX – 2 x 7laps (half points for each) - Second Race is Random Reverse Grid...

My suggestion... should this not be changed to a reverse grid based on EITHER: 1. finishing positions in heat 1 OR 2. Based on fastest laps per heat 1???

Random reverse could really mess things around if you have fastest driver starting 1st and 2nd fastest starting last...
Quote from Dizzydarryn :My suggestion... should this not be changed to a reverse grid based on EITHER: 1. finishing positions in heat 1 OR 2. Based on fastest laps per heat 1???

Random reverse could really mess things around if you have fastest driver starting 1st and 2nd fastest starting last...

+1 I think we should have the top 8 of the first heat reversed, like in WTCC or GP2.

PS : a question about the ballast system : how will it work for round 5, since we have two different heat in round 4?
yeah, top 8 will work... it works awesome in those 2 series. we also run it in the series im currently racing in and it works awesome! generally the top 8 guys are neat drivers and even with reverse grid, racing is super close and not too much bumping.
Quote from Dizzydarryn :My suggestion... should this not be changed to a reverse grid based on EITHER: 1. finishing positions in heat 1 OR 2. Based on fastest laps per heat 1???

No, the way I sort the grid is to reverse a random number seed (generated by Excel =RAND based on number of cars that start the race. And I do not announce this until after Race 1, so that people still race like it's the own race, and not try to finish where they'd start on pole.

And ballast will be the same for Race 1 as Race 2.

d
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :PS : a question about the ballast system : how will it work for round 5, since we have two different heat in round 4?

The ballast is based on Overall Championship points from Round 3 onwards, so Round 5 will calculate ballast from the Official Championship Table after Round 4 Official Results.

d
Quote from dekojester :No, the way I sort the grid is to reverse a random number seed (generated by Excel =RAND based on number of cars that start the race. And I do not announce this until after Race 1, so that people still race like it's the own race, and not try to finish where they'd start on pole.

And ballast will be the same for Race 1 as Race 2.

d

and you not interested in considering changing it to fastest lap times from heat 1 reverse??? a bit more purist than a random number generator excel doc that you can never re run to prove its validity :-)
Quote from dekojester :The ballast is based on Overall Championship points from Round 3 onwards, so Round 5 will calculate ballast from the Official Championship Table after Round 4 Official Results.

d

Quote from J@tko :OK, then I will.

Basically, there are 2 factors that decide the amount of ballast you have:
  1. Your position in the last race
  2. Your overall championship position (from R3 onwards)
ATM (this may change, though it seems about right to me), 1st place in either of the above gets you 3% ballast, 2nd 2.5%, 3rd 2% e.t.c.

So, the maximum amount of ballast you can have (by leading the championship and winning the last race) is 6% of the car's unladen mass.

I've used % rather than a set mass as the cars we use are different.

e.g if the winning ballast was, say 50kg, it would have a different effect in different cars. In an RB4, it wouldnt make that much difference as its a tank already, but 50kg in an FBM would cost you alot of time

As you can see, J@kto said that even after round 3, we will still have some ballast for the position in the last race.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :As you can see, J@kto said that even after round 3, we will still have some ballast for the position in the last race.

J@kto, you moron! You forgot to include that in yar rulebook!
As darryn said, a random reverse grid doesn't seem very realistic. But yes, I can understand that the WTCC reverse grid is not THAT good too. So here's a few suggestions for that round 4 :

1)We can do a top 8 reverse grid, but not like WTCC, but like GP2, with only the half of the points of the heat 1 given to the finishers of the heat 2(so that mean, for example, 7,5 points will be given to the winner of heat 2, 7 points to the second, etc, etc, etc...)So with that rule, finishing in a good place in heat 1 will be more important than having a good place in heat 2, so nobody will want to finish 8th.

2)Another solution can be also to put some very short quali before heat 2(like 4-5 minutes). That can bring some very very big surprises in the grid, because with this rule it's very hard to deal with traffic.

3) Maybe my favorite one, I saw this system as I race the Hot Hatch Supercup yesterday, and it was very fun. So, before heat 2, you take a hat with some papers where are written all the numbers between 2 and 15, then you take a paper, for example : "10", and then that mean that the top 10 is reversed. That's a good solution I think, because there's absolutely no way to race specially to gets pole. With that rule, everybody will race the first heat "as it's the own race".

So, I hope everybody did understand me, I did my best with my very very poor english
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :
3) Maybe my favorite one, I saw this system as I race the Hot Hatch Supercup yesterday, and it was very fun. So, before heat 2, you take a hat with some papers where are written all the numbers between 2 and 15, then you take a paper, for example : "10", and then that mean that the top 10 is reversed. That's a good solution I think, because there's absolutely no way to race specially to gets pole. With that rule, everybody will race the first heat "as it's the own race".

Wtf how is a random (random reverse=random, random, even more random....) any different considering the opportunity (or the lack of it) to tactique for the pole? Second of all the difference between a random grid and a reversed grid (of random number) is... err, I can't think of anything? Wouldn't your starting position be random anyway?

Thirdly, you can't argue it isn't fair. A computer generated grid is probably the fairest towards everyone because everyone has the same chances for a good gridspot.

(oh btw, If I had admin privaledges I'd have modified the rulebook already to include your fail J@kto)
Quote from hyntty :Wtf how is a random (random reverse=random, random, even more random....) any different considering the opportunity (or the lack of it) to tactique for the pole? Second of all the difference between a random grid and a reversed grid (of random number) is... err, I can't think of anything? Wouldn't your starting position be random anyway?

Thirdly, you can't argue it isn't fair. A computer generated grid is probably the fairest towards everyone because everyone has the same chances for a good gridspot.

(oh btw, If I had admin privaledges I'd had modified the rulebook already to include your fail J@kto)

You can read all my posts, I didn't say that a random grid is different considering the tactique for the pole. I just wanted to say that the Hot Hatch grid type is a fairer(does this word exist?) solution than the random reverse grid? Why? Because in the 3rd heat's grid of the Hot Hatch, we had the top 10 reversed we had all of the best drivers in 10th, 9th, 8th, etc positions of the grid, because they finished the 2nd heat in the best positions.

Now, we returns to LFSBC. Imagine that after round 3, we have two differents championships contendens(spelling?). Name them X and Y. So, X and Y finish 1st and 2nd of the 1st heat. Then we have the reverse grid...... And finally, Y is in pole, and X in the last place. As you can imagine, that is already the end of Y's chances, whereas X, with some backmarkers behind him, have just to finish the race to have the win. So as you can imagine, this race can absolutly ruin the championship of some drivers. That's why I think the reverse grid is a bad thing. The championship is here to show who are the drivers who have tho most skills, not those who were the more lucky.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :
Now, we returns to LFSBC. Imagine that after round 3, we have two different championship contenders. Name them X and Y. So, X and Y finish 1st and 2nd of the 1st heat. Then we have the reverse grid...... And finally, Y is in pole, and X in the last place. As you can imagine, that is already the end of Y's chances, whereas X, with some backmarkers behind him, have just to finish the race to have the win. So as you can imagine, this race can absolutly ruin the championship of some drivers. That's why I think the reverse grid is a bad thing. The championship is here to show who are the drivers who have tho most skills, not those who were the more lucky.

You can argue about the fairness to the end of the world without any result. Any grid that doesn't involve a qualifying where everyone has had their fair chances isn't fair. Is, for example, a last place due to 'technical difficulities' (which happen irl as well iirc) fair.

In my opinion, the point of a championship is to reward those who can keep up good performances (grammar?). No matter what the starting grounds are. Besides, a little overtaking has never hurt anyone
On the ballast -

I discussed what J@tko really meant by the ballast system, and that is what is in the Official Regulations is how the ballast is applied.

The Reverse Grid:

I believe last year, I had Excel select a Random Number between 2 and 10 (Will confirm tonight), and then those positions would be reversed. If memory serves, the number generated was 6. So:

Race 1 Result:

Race 2 Grid:

The ONLY random thing about this is how many grid spots are reversed. Using Excel to generate the number is similar to pullig it out of a hat. The actual order will simply be inverted, not randomized. So, if the number is 4, and you finished 4th, you're on pole, and if you finished 1st, you start 4th. 5 on back are unaffected.

d
Quote from dekojester :
The ONLY random thing about this is how many grid spots are reversed. Using Excel to generate the number is similar to pullig it out of a hat. The actual order will simply be inverted, not randomized. So, if the number is 4, and you finished 4th, you're on pole, and if you finished 1st, you start 4th. 5 on back are unaffected.

d

Ah, Ok, sorry, I didn't know that with "random reverse" grid you meant that. Anyway, that's a good system, I am sure we'll have a good race with that.
Quote from dekojester :On the ballast -

I discussed what J@tko really meant by the ballast system, and that is what is in the Official Regulations is how the ballast is applied.

The Reverse Grid:

I believe last year, I had Excel select a Random Number between 2 and 10 (Will confirm tonight), and then those positions would be reversed. If memory serves, the number generated was 6. So:

Race 1 Result:

Race 2 Grid:

d

Thanks for clearing that up. i think that is more or less what we were both suggesting, except the random number part. which is quite a neat idea, havent heard it before but i kinda like it!

@hyntty: Reverse grid/random grid is not purist for sure!!! but it does make super interesting racing and it is the same basis for everyone. if 2 of the top series in the world are doing it... why cant we?
Remind me again of the two top series of motorsport... F1 and DTM?

oh, and sure, to mix things up a bit it's the smartest idea ever.
Quote from hyntty :Remind me again of the two top series of motorsport... F1 and DTM?

oh, and sure, to mix things up a bit it's the smartest idea ever.

GP2 and WTCC
Quote from Dizzydarryn :...
@hyntty: Reverse grid/random grid is not purist for sure!!! but it does make super interesting racing and it is the same basis for everyone. if 2 of the top series in the world are doing it... why cant we?

Read again and you'll see i never mentioned THE top 2... i said 2 OF THE top series in the world...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG