The online racing simulator
Real Automatic
(44 posts, started )
Quote from Woz :We are talking about slush box transmissions here with kickdown as seen on road cars not multi clutched geared transmissions that are really just computer controlled gearboxes that change the gear and blip the throttle and dial in more rear suspension to keep the car settled.

lol

So am I...didn't I link to a shift chart for a 4L60E which is one of the most common GM transmissions?

Ever watch bracket racing?

Like I said, they have their advantages, and plenty of them, just not in the type of racing LFS is centered around...

The old "Powerglide" is still WAY popular with a large group of people so are a bunch of other 'slushboxes'...after all, it's really hard to install a transbrake a manual transmission...

That's why I said they would be great in LFS if they were coupled with an appropriate car...
#27 - JJ72
making automatic in LFS to cater a "crowd" who think it's "exciting"?

I'll rather see the devs spend time making a LFS Hello Kitty edition, with gay spinning flowers flying all over the track and cute japanese laughter effects everytime you change a gear, it might actually have a larger target audience!!!
Quote from JJ72 :making automatic in LFS to cater a "crowd" who think it's "exciting"?

I'll rather see the devs spend time making a LFS Hello Kitty edition, with gay spinning flowers flying all over the track and cute japanese laughter effects everytime you change a gear, it might actually have a larger target audience!!!

No one used the word exciting...

A lot of people on this forum are so closeminded...

You can argue that automatic transmissions suck all day long but they have strong points and some very good ones...they are used in a number of motorsports and offer things that manual transmissions can't...so to say they do not belong on a race track is silly....and to say they suck is silly...
Quote from Homeless_Drunk :No one used the word exciting...

You can argue that automatic transmissions suck all day long but they have strong points and some very good ones...they are used in a number of motorsports and offer things that manual transmissions can't...so to say they do not belong on a race track is silly....and to say they suck is silly...

+1 well said
#30 - Woz
Quote from Homeless_Drunk :So am I...didn't I link to a shift chart for a 4L60E which is one of the most common GM transmissions?

Ever watch bracket racing?

Like I said, they have their advantages, and plenty of them, just not in the type of racing LFS is centered around...

The old "Powerglide" is still WAY popular with a large group of people so are a bunch of other 'slushboxes'...after all, it's really hard to install a transbrake a manual transmission...

That's why I said they would be great in LFS if they were coupled with an appropriate car...

Powerglides and bracket racing are all normally restricted to drag racing so yep, when we finally get a dedicated drag car give it a powerglide.

Show me a circuit racing league IRL that is BASED on or allows and people use auto transmissions against people who race stick and where people actually select auto over stick. (BTW I mean ones that have tracks that require both left AND right turns in the same circuit )

Again not talking gears that are computer controlled but slushboxes

Quote from JJ72 :I'll rather see the devs spend time making a LFS Hello Kitty edition, with gay spinning flowers flying all over the track and cute japanese laughter effects everytime you change a gear, it might actually have a larger target audience!!!

yay +1 for hello kitty ROTF
Just admit that automatic transmissions that are commonly found in everyday drivers are not worth simulating. The only automatic transmission worth simulating would be a Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) or a six-speed, semi-automatic transmission system found in something like the Subaru.

Both of those are semi-automatic however the DSG does allow for an automatic mode.

If the aforementioned transmission were simulated, it would just be like the viscous clutch differential in that it would be used by few and not really benefit in the development of lfs. I agree with Woz
Quote from Woz :Powerglides and bracket racing are all normally restricted to drag racing so yep, when we finally get a dedicated drag car give it a powerglide.

Show me a circuit racing league IRL that is BASED on or allows and people use auto transmissions against people who race stick and where people actually select auto over stick. (BTW I mean ones that have tracks that require both left AND right turns in the same circuit )

I never said they were used in circuit racing...I just said they were used in a few motorsports and that they have their advantages over manual transmissions...

Off-road racing ([baja and the like]not rally) and drag racing are the 2 major ones...I am sure there are more but I don't have time to dig around and find them since I am at work, heh...

With a manual valve body, boosted line pressure and a few other little tweaks a 'slushbox' automatic transmission can feel just as responsive and be just as predictable as a manual transmission...

Let's use the 4L60E automatic transmission as an example since I have one in my daily driver...after just a few tweaks though the PCM it feels like a completely different transmission. My vehicle is way more responsive and doesn't feel 'slushy', it shifts instantly (faster than you can humanly shift a manual transmission) and doesn't slowly slide into gear anymore, it now slams into gear, my gas milage also increased and that's without even touching the engine side of the PCM, only the transmission side...

I'm not arguing with you, Woz. I am just drying to debunk this myth that automatic transmissions are junk...a lot of people have this impression because they have only driven cars that are already underpowered and then slap a automatic transmission behind it and it feels like your trying to drive your car though milk.

Again, like I said previously...automatic transmissions would be nice ONLY if there was the correct car to put them in...I can't imagine how boring it would be to drive an automatic RB4 around BL1...
#33 - Woz
Quote from Homeless_Drunk :I'm not arguing with you, Woz. I am just drying to debunk this myth that automatic transmissions are junk...a lot of people have this impression because they have only driven cars that are already underpowered and then slap a automatic transmission behind it and it feels like your trying to drive your car though milk.

Again, like I said previously...automatic transmissions would be nice ONLY if there was the correct car to put them in...I can't imagine how boring it would be to drive an automatic RB4 around BL1...

yep v dull
I agree
Well i agree with this idea, and maybe an option when we can chose Automatic or Manula transmission, going with automatic wiil be cool for drags with XRT, or FXO.

I totally agree with this, but if we can choose Automatic or Manual, and yeah, that will be A LOT more real.

Adolfo Herrera.
Quote from TFalke55 :if it is that way on the roadcars:

having a possibility of shifting if needed manualy
getting a much havier car (for balancing)
only on road cars
KICK-DOWN feature
double cluched automatic gearbox

I'd be happy to have the final two things on the FZ 50

I don't think it would be that great... but well don't have anything against it or for it... +-0

My Dad Drives a Mk2 Granada AutoMatic It Sounds Sweet when it "Kicks Down" Gears
#36 - JJ72
Quote from Homeless_Drunk :No one used the word exciting...

just tell me which car in LFS right now would have a automatic gearbox that's better than a manual.

if they are used in a number of motorsports that's not represented in LFS then it's not relevant.
Quote from JJ72 :just tell me which car in LFS right now would have a automatic gearbox that's better than a manual.

if they are used in a number of motorsports that's not represented in LFS then it's not relevant.

I'll just quote myself since you are too dense to read my previous posts within this thread...

Quote :I think it would be cool if it was modeled correctly and put in the appropriate car (ie: big tank of a muscle car)...

Quote :That's why I said they would be great in LFS if they were coupled with an appropriate car...

Quote :Again, like I said previously...automatic transmissions would be nice ONLY if there was the correct car to put them in...I can't imagine how boring it would be to drive an automatic RB4 around BL1...

We went from having a semi-intelegent discussion to "UR DUM NOT RELEVENT"...
#38 - JJ72
you see that's the problem.

we don't have a car to put a decent auto box in.

And so now the dev need to both make a new car and model the tranny, which by the car you suggested isn't highly desirable for the common LFS racing community (yup I exclude the "cruisers" here"), and that car almost has a sole value of existence of proving auto tranny doesn't suck?

the devs shouldspend their time making stuff that people actually wants and always been asking for instead of catering of a minority, like touring cars, new tracks, sportscars and stuff..
As Adolf said
I would love if when I buy my license I could hop in a high powered muscle car.

Just imagine the challenge of getting the monster to corner, you'd be fighting oversteer like crazy in the corners and just lugging it around the track. It would add one hell of a challenge for even the more experianced drivers.

As for setup, it would have very little rear end adjustment since it would probably have a simple setup, even leaf springs would be logical for an older model muscle car.

Something like a hemi cuda or even a 70's charger comes to mind, of course, it has to be completely custom.

I wouldent like the auto box though, theres just something about "four on the floor" that has a ring to it.

Thats been suggested before though.
Even if we had musclecars in LFS, you still would not use an automatic out on the track (for realism). But with an addition of musclecars, the drag strip would probably be used more and autoboxes would be more advantagous to develop for LFS.
An real modern autmatic gearbox comes with a lot of software and a nice computer to run its software...and simulate this in a race-simulator? Not a good idea, to expensive to build into lfs i think and no added value to the simulation.
-100!
Quote from Bluebird B B :An real modern autmatic gearbox comes with a lot of software and a nice computer to run its software...and simulate this in a race-simulator? Not a good idea, to expensive to build into lfs i think and no added value to the simulation.
-100!

How is simulating a modern automatic transmission too expensive to build into LFS? As for the added value to the sim, that depends on what kind of modern automatic gearbox.
I would be happy if there came auto-gear in LFS,I have thought of it before

Real Automatic
(44 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG