The online racing simulator
Real Automatic
(44 posts, started )
Real Automatic
Maybe suggested.
It would be cool to have a "real" automatic, and not just lfs shifting the gears for you. I mean, no clutch allowed, and the more you hit the gas, the later you shift (drivers of real automatic cars will know what i mean).
#2 - Woz
Quote from Stefani24 :Maybe suggested.
It would be cool to have a "real" automatic, and not just lfs shifting the gears for you. I mean, no clutch allowed, and the more you hit the gas, the later you shift (drivers of real automatic cars will know what i mean).

Pointless. LFS is about racing and people do not use road like autos in racing because it is impossible to balance a car in a corner when you do not know when the car will shift on you.
There are a AT cup in Taiwan
an AT cup? that sounds boring to me and +1 to Woz, it's pointless.
if it is that way on the roadcars:

having a possibility of shifting if needed manualy
getting a much havier car (for balancing)
only on road cars
KICK-DOWN feature
double cluched automatic gearbox

I'd be happy to have the final two things on the FZ 50

I don't think it would be that great... but well don't have anything against it or for it... +-0
I couldn't see this as a feasible addition to S3, but I can see it as an option in the mod side of things.

If someone were to create a program that could modify the clutch temperature variable, then it would be possible to mimic a torque converter [case in point, clutch temp could be capped at a certain point where it slips just enough to keep the engine at one rpm, basically mimicing torque converter stall]. The program could be user-adjustable so one could set the stall speed and kickdown [as per a user-chosen throttle %].

Could be nifty to imitate "Tiptronic-style" automatics [such as Mazda Axela or Atenza] in that it can be driven in a "manual" mode.

Just some thoughts. I'm with the OP for the idea, but unfortunately I can't see it becoming an integral part of the game.
I'm in for this idea, because the kickdown is a real nice feature and not everyone likes to shift.

You just have to work around the clutch temperature to get this thing done, but I really hope the devvers will make it
But the point is, that there are street cars in lfs, and why couldnt they be automatic. Would make it more realistic.
And yeah, it was the kickdown feature i was talkin about.
Just FYI: Im not too lazy, or too stupid to shift! :P
#9 - G!NhO
+1 would be fun to race with real automatic
I think it would be cool if it was modeled correctly and put in the appropriate car (ie: big tank of a muscle car)...an automatic transmission is much more complex than your standard manual...

Unlike a manual transmission where all gears have the same relative holding power due to the clutch...in an automatic each gear has a different 'torque' rating depending on which band or clutch is enabled...

You also have a torque converter that is used as a 'liquid clutch' instead of a standard foot operated clutch...there are standard and locking converters...different vehicles have different stall speeds...different str ratings...

Judging by the way the devs have a vision of 'perfection' i think modeling this would take quite some time
Quote from Stefani24 :But the point is, that there are street cars in lfs, and why couldnt they be automatic. Would make it more realistic.
And yeah, it was the kickdown feature i was talkin about.
Just FYI: Im not too lazy, or too stupid to shift! :P

Nope, the point is, even with street cars, one would not race with an automatic! I would think it would be against any racing series to race with and automatic transmission (don't go there with drag racing, you wouldn't even drag race the type of cars we have in LFS with a modified slushbox.)
#12 - Woz
It would be a waste of dev time to implement.

It would take Scawen a while to implement properly and as soon as it was in the sim people would soon realise that a slush box is slower to accelerate, slower top speed, impossible to balance worse on fuel.

Look at ANY car specs out there and compare acceleration, top speed and fuel consumption between exactly the same model but only the gearbox changed. The auto in the BWM Mini for example adds 1 second to 0-60, does 25mpg instead of 30+ and has slower top speed.

Now factor in the weight penalty you carry for the gearbox and extra fuel you need to cover the same distance and you soon realise its as useful as a chocolate teapot.

If you dont want to change gear then let the computer do it for you. The only place it might be "cool" (sick) is cruise servers and I doubt Scawen will implement to cater to those servers lol
Ok, that are some good points woz
Quote from Woz :It would be a waste of dev time to implement.

It would take Scawen a while to implement properly and as soon as it was in the sim people would soon realise that a slush box is slower to accelerate, slower top speed, impossible to balance worse on fuel.
Agree, but more competitive racing
Look at ANY car specs out there and compare acceleration, top speed and fuel consumption between exactly the same model but only the gearbox changed. The auto in the BWM Mini for example adds 1 second to 0-60, does 25mpg instead of 30+ and has slower top speed.
So what :P
Now factor in the weight penalty you carry for the gearbox and extra fuel you need to cover the same distance and you soon realise its as useful as a chocolate teapot.
Again, it's about the competition, more leveled
If you dont want to change gear then let the computer do it for you. The only place it might be "cool" (sick) is cruise servers and I doubt Scawen will implement to cater to those servers lol
True, cruising with automatic is sweet

My shy opinion :P
Yep, cruising /w auto is sweet, but what do you know bout crusing?
Quote from Stefani24 :Yep, cruising /w auto is sweet, but what do you know bout crusing?

I drive a car in real life lol :P
#17 - Woz
Quote from Patrick v H :My shy opinion :P

I get the feel you have no idea what you are talking about or have NEVER driven the same car in both forms lol. Perhapse you have never driven stick IRL so dont really understand what a HUGE disadvantage a slush box actually is

If a slush box is optional most will use manual because stick IS faster, so you using a slush box you will be left in the dust and will NOT stand a chance at all... EVER.

If its not optional there will be uproar because a slush box has NO place on the race track.

How does that make for MORE COMPETITIVE racing.

This should be funny
Quote from Woz :If its not optional there will be uproar because a slush box has NO place on the race track.

Sure it does...just not the type of racing LFS is centered around.

An automatic transmission is way more consistent than a manual transmission it can also be made to shift faster than any human can shift a manual transmission...

They do have their advantages, just not in LFS
My first two track events were with an automatic transmission. It was still fun, but not as much. I would always have to pull off the track early when the trans temp guage would peg. This was about the time that shifting would get reeeaaallll ssssllloooowwww. Then again, maybe it was just a product of an abused Ford.
Auto shifting on Ford is REALLY slow from what ive heard. but ford....
Quote from Stefani24 :Auto shifting on Ford is REALLY slow from what ive heard. but ford....

Ehh... I don't exactly praise the Mazda 5 speed that replaced it.

Without the track abuse, that trans would have been fine. I was certainly putting more power through it than the engineers were counting on.
#22 - Woz
Quote from Homeless_Drunk :Sure it does...just not the type of racing LFS is centered around.

An automatic transmission is way more consistent than a manual transmission it can also be made to shift faster than any human can shift a manual transmission...

They do have their advantages, just not in LFS

We are talking about slush box transmissions here with kickdown as seen on road cars not multi clutched geared transmissions that are really just computer controlled gearboxes that change the gear and blip the throttle and dial in more rear suspension to keep the car settled.

lol
+1 for a Real Auto... simply because it would add to the realism and wouldnt take anything away from what we allready have If you didnt like it then just choose not to use it. Also, im sure it wouldnt be that hard to to
Quote from Craig010 :+1 for a Real Auto... simply because it would add to the realism and wouldnt take anything away from what we allready have If you didnt like it then just choose not to use it. Also, im sure it wouldnt be that hard to to

I bet it would ! An Auto transmission isn't just a standard gear transmission that auto shifts, it's much more complex, with torque converters, etc. Woz's points are all true here.

Plus, I would never trust a RWD auto'ed car that would shift for me in curves...
Quote from PAracer :Ehh... I don't exactly praise the Mazda 5 speed that replaced it.

From what ive heard.
Ive never driven a ford (just a vw) with auto.

Real Automatic
(44 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG