Motorcycle Trackday (photos included) -- BeaveRun -- August 2, 2008
Photos

This was only my second track day, my first on my own bike and my first on that track. I had a blast as always, though.

Next up is my first club race at yet another entirely different track.
Looks pretty cool. Nice to know you had some fun.

How does it compare to push a bike to the limit compared to a car? I've felt the massive wallowy understeer my car does when I try and corner too hard, but don't have the balls to lean my pushbike round bends too much when I'm wearing nothing but a t-shirt and riding gloves (well, and jeans).
Quote from danowat :Come on Forbin, you can lean WAAAAYYYY more than that http://trackdaydigitalimages.c ... 7/pages/page_228.html#top

@ Bob, it feels completley different, couldn't be more different IMO, you get very little pre-grip loss feedback.

I think it's more similar than that, a bike offers as much or more feedback than any car I've driven. You feel the tiniest slide on a bike, and you wouldn't even notice those at all in most cars. The difference is that the absolute limit is easier to find in a car because over-stepping it slightly is a more viable option.

Looks fun Forbin. A club race? On your road bike? Does it require a competition license over there? (Curious)
Bob was talking about at-limit feel, much easier to gauge how close you are to the limit in a car, and retreive it.

I have been close to the limit on a track, and had a highside, which luckily I stayed on, but the difference between the limit, and over the limit is extremely fine.

And thats only rear end limit, the only time you'll notice front end grip limit is when you're sliding along on your arse!!!!
Quote from danowat :Bob was talking about at-limit feel, much easier to gauge how close you are to the limit in a car, and retreive it.

I have been close to the limit on a track, and had a highside, which luckily I stayed on, but the difference between the limit, and over the limit is extremely fine.

And thats only rear end limit, the only time you'll notice front end grip limit is when you're sliding along on your arse!!!!

I disagree, although our definition of at-the-limit might be differing slightly. Tyres move around and slide without completely washing out and dropping you off the bike. Finding the limit of the front end isn't just guess work based on how fast you're going or how leaned over you are, there is a huge element of "feel" there, it's what gives you confidence to push harder, and what tells you not to push any harder. Anyway, I'll stop before someone thinks I'm claiming to be a professional level rider, my only lowside experiences have been on minimotos, but I've felt the tyres move around whilst cornering on my road bike too.
Quote from sinbad :<snip>
Looks fun Forbin. A club race? On your road bike? Does it require a competition license over there? (Curious)

My local club has a program where you take their basic class (mandatory) on the day of your first trackday, which includes both classroom and on track instruction. On that particular occasion a month ago (July 4th), I rented an R6. Then it rained. So in summary: it was my first time on a racetrack (in real life ), on a bike with twice the power of mine, on one of the most technical tracks in the country (Summit Point Shenandoah), and it was wet. Talk about jumping into the deep end.

After that first class on your first trackday, they recommend you get at least another trackday or 2 under your belt, at which point you then have a few options. The Level 2 class is a continuation of the Basic class, basically just more technique. They also offer Personal Training, but that's limited to riders in the intermediate and expert groups. Then there's the Race class, which is all taught in the classroom and focuses on "racing rules, strategies and procedures" (quoted from their website), and is required to participate in the club's races. The final test is a race on the day of the class, and all you need to do to pass is not crash. Also, after passing the class, you can then get your official race license with the national organizations.

Quote from Bob Smith :Looks pretty cool. Nice to know you had some fun.

How does it compare to push a bike to the limit compared to a car? I've felt the massive wallowy understeer my car does when I try and corner too hard, but don't have the balls to lean my pushbike round bends too much when I'm wearing nothing but a t-shirt and riding gloves (well, and jeans).

My bike (especially the front end) is VERY softly sprung, even with me on it (130 lbs, or 150 lbs with all my gear on, or 59 kg and 68 kg respectively). As a result, it wallows quite a bit and if a bike in front of me in T9 forced me to roll off the throttle mid-corner (a frequent occurrence that day), the tail would start wagging quite noticeably.

Quote from danowat :Come on Forbin, you can lean WAAAAYYYY more than that http://trackdaydigitalimages.c ... 7/pages/page_228.html#top
<snip>

Ground clearance is a HUGE issue on my bike. I currently have the rear raised 1.5" (3.8 cm) with some aftermarket suspension links and that helps quite a bit, but the bike is still very wide at the bottom and the pegs are very low compared to a modern sportbike. I can definitely hang off a bit more, that's one of the things I'm working on right now, but in terms of the bike's lean angle, I'm pretty close to the limit. I scraped the toe of my boot a couple times in T10, but that's also due to my feet slipping forward on the rubber pegs under braking.

Oh yeah, and that bike was my ride home, so the last thing I wanted was to get stranded 400 miles from home.

Track Map

The current plan is to save up for a used SV650 track bike to use as an entry-level racer and keep my EX500 as my street bike.
Awsome i like motorcycles ^^
I used to have an R6, then went for an R1 after that...... Managed to take the R6 to Donnington, Silverstone, Snetterton and Castle Coombe. Glad you had a great day.. cool pics too.

Nothing like being on your own bike. I think it makes you take your time getting your knee down as you don't want to lose the bike!!!

Wicked!
I forgot to mention, the club race I'll be running in is the club's "supermoto" class, but the rules on what you can run are fairly lax. They basically allow anything under 600cc (which means no 600 supersports) in the "supermoto" class except 2-stroke GP bikes. You don't have to run a true supermoto but you'll probably be more competitive if you do.

In my case, my bike makes ~50HP, weighs around 400 lbs, and doesn't have terribly sticky rubber (bias ply tires, not radials), while your typical 450 supermoto makes at least 40 HP, weighs around 300 lbs, and runs on very sticky rubber.

I fully expect to get blown away fairly quickly regardless. I'll count it as a huge accomplishment if I don't finish last.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG