The online racing simulator
I think I've found the problem really. I have always used the more understeery sets ( even the ones I made) but now I use a more oversteer setup and I get much closer to fast times now. Just set a 50.17 at So2R, wr is 49.70. Not too bad I guess
I dont really pay attentions to WR's or anything.. But I've noticed in race I hold a good time but hot lapping I can't get crazy good times like other people. depending on the length of the track I'm like 1-3 seconds off (even more sometimes).

I'm not big with the BF1 or anything.. I like working with body roll and less griping tires. feels more like track racing to me.

If I do hotlap I wear down tires like in 3-5 laps.
A little off topic, but how does everybody know the WR?
is there a thread somewhere with all the records and what not? I'd love to watch some of the replays, so if someone could tell me where they are i'd be grateful.

Oh and i don't believe natural talent is everything, it just reduces the amount of time it takes before you hit that time your chasing.
Quote from Rustic-Imposter :A little off topic, but how does everybody know the WR?
is there a thread somewhere with all the records and what not? I'd love to watch some of the replays, so if someone could tell me where they are i'd be grateful.

Oh and i don't believe natural talent is everything, it just reduces the amount of time it takes before you hit that time your chasing.

The WR replays are downloadable from LFSWorld.

You can check the WR in game as long as you are online and not single playing by typing "/w wr" in the chatbox, it is CTRL+F8 by default.
Just remember to take into consideration that most WR's are set on very specific hotlap setups with soft tires. Quite often the suspension will be wrecked after 1 or 2 laps with these setups.

These times can very rarely be achieved in race conditions. If you can get to within .5 seconds a mile of WR pace in race trim your doing bloody well.
u can never become an alien. god knows i've tried :P but at some point really fast guys have to admit that they'll never become aliens. im not one, but watever. i will still chase and keep trying, as most guys will when theres a carrot within their grasp.

aliens have that natural ability....the fact that i have to work on it, work on a setup, watch a replay......that makes me a non-alien. theres no secret to alienness, they just understand dynamics of going fast, when we have to sit and think abt it.
i am sure that i will never be known as super fast, simply because im not that good at it! I have found one thing in common with what others have said though, if you try too hard, you will fcuk it up. just enjoying it and not constantly trying to be quick has helped me. I have a good example of this that happened to me a few weeks back. I often race in the banger servers, which are a short oval layout. The 'top boys' are setting 12 seconds laps in an xfg on there. I had tried and tried to get faster which resulted in hitting the fence, rolling over, losing control and things like that. On the occasions that i could actually stay on my wheels the best i could get was late 15 or early 16 second laps. I was trying as hard as i could and i was just pushing too hard at it and making mistakes. One night i went into the server and there was only one other car in there. I had a few fun races with him just going round, letting eachother overtake and trying to catch eachother up again just for fun. I saved a couple of the replays and i found that i had done a whole race with times between 13 and 14 seconds, my worst lap being 14.43 but my best was 13.06! I hadnt even been trying, or in fact looking at the lap times at all. i only saw it by watching the replays back. The only thing i can think that made this happen, was that because i wasnt thinking about trying to be faster, i actually drove better.
I know im also one of the slower guys but im not fatser when i try to push realy hard im at my best when i feel confidend in the car.
I want to be feeling that the car wont do thing i dont expect like sudden understeer in a corner.
Becaus when i dont feel good about the car i realy suck

I also have to feel sort of relaxed and that al wil go good when im to tence my driving suffersfrom it i can easly be forced into a kstake when im tence
so when u see me fighting hard for places im focused but calm

@ dantebangerboy

Pleace put some spaces in your text you make it even harder to read
Practice is not to get underestimated when we are talking about "alien like fast". All the top guys have a huge mileage under their belt.
Quote from migf1 :All the top guys have a huge mileage under their belt.

And here I was thinking it was a beer belly.
The difference between an alien and just a very, very fast driver is that the alien doesn't really need to think about what they're doing (as much). They're lucky enough to be born with the kind of brain that just naturally is wired up to be good at the kind of reactions you need for motor-racing.

Obviously practice is absolutely neccesary, but an alien will always be faster than a non-alien simply because for the alien a part of driving is subconcious and so the reaction to a given stimulus is always faster and more accurate.

Lewis Hamilton is a pretty good example of an alien. He's had far less practice than the other more experienced drivers, but he just 'gets it' and so is far quicker than most of the others can ever be.
Quote from xaotik :And here I was thinking it was a beer belly.

That too (in the lack of proper... champane )
Quote from Crashgate3 :The difference between an alien and just a very, very fast driver is that the alien doesn't really need to think about what they're doing (as much). They're lucky enough to be born with the kind of brain that just naturally is wired up to be good at the kind of reactions you need for motor-racing.

Obviously practice is absolutely neccesary, but an alien will always be faster than a non-alien simply because for the alien a part of driving is subconcious and so the reaction to a given stimulus is always faster and more accurate.

Lewis Hamilton is a pretty good example of an alien. He's had far less practice than the other more experienced drivers, but he just 'gets it' and so is far quicker than most of the others can ever be.

Not true, I'm affraid. Even Lewis is racing since his childhood!
Quote from migf1 :Practice is not to get underestimated when we are talking about "alien like fast". All the top guys have a huge mileage under their belt.

That means you need a lot of practise to be quick. But it doesn't mean that a lot of practise makes you quick.
Quote from migf1 :Practice is not to get underestimated when we are talking about "alien like fast". All the top guys have a huge mileage under their belt.

But you can normally see quite fast if someone is an alien/very fast or "just" average.

I quote Bawbag: "The first day I got beaten by zeugnimod, the second day I raced with him, the third day I beat him."

And this is true.
well, I have very much the same feeling but really, you're not doing enough to reach their level . Personally, I built up most of my speed from just driving constantly and understanding more and more about the limits of grip and how to manage it correctly. There are 2 other factors to consider as well or to look into and they're telemetry and setup. Even though you may have the WR set, doesn't necessarily meant that it suits your style so you'd have to tweak it a bit more to your liking. Telemetry is also really really good and I'm intent on getting into properly as telemetry tells you exactly where he's gaining time on you so try and get a program like F1 Performance Viewer or AnalyzeForSpeed as they're very good for that kind of thing.

And then at the end of the day, pure speed isn't the only thing that separates winners from losers, theres also consistency, race craft and strategy. You can race with a guy who can get a 1:12.5 on his 2nd lap but get like 1:13s or 1:14s on his other laps and when compared to someone who can constantly get low 1:13s or something, then they'll most probably find it fairly easy to overtake.
Yeah, racecraft is very important, especially in league racing. Always try to be faster than the smart guys and smarter than the fast guys.
Quote from Darkone55 :That means you need a lot of practise to be quick. But it doesn't mean that a lot of practise makes you quick.

So very true! Still, practice remains essential for being "alien fast"!
Quote from Leprekaun :well, I have very much the same feeling but really, you're not doing enough to reach their level . Personally, I built up most of my speed from just driving constantly and understanding more and more about the limits of grip and how to manage it correctly. There are 2 other factors to consider as well or to look into and they're telemetry and setup. Even though you may have the WR set, doesn't necessarily meant that it suits your style so you'd have to tweak it a bit more to your liking. Telemetry is also really really good and I'm intent on getting into properly as telemetry tells you exactly where he's gaining time on you so try and get a program like F1 Performance Viewer or AnalyzeForSpeed as they're very good for that kind of thing.

It can also work the other way around. Instead of adopting the setup to your driving style, you can adopt your driving style to the given setup. Both ways can be equally effective, depending on which side of the alien river you live on.

Quote :And then at the end of the day, pure speed isn't the only thing that separates winners from losers, theres also consistency, race craft and strategy. You can race with a guy who can get a 1:12.5 on his 2nd lap but get like 1:13s or 1:14s on his other laps and when compared to someone who can constantly get low 1:13s or something, then they'll most probably find it fairly easy to overtake.

Hotlapping and racing are two differnet worlds. True aliens, are all around aliens (like ray for example) who can cope with anything, anywhere, anytime. But to reach this level, natural talent is not enough... you must have practiced a lot, and I mean a lot and for a long time (talent+experience).
Recently, I've found that I've spent sooo much time racing open-wheelers and have become so in-tune with them that I'm now utterly useless in anything else. I'm just so used to the knife-edge handling and responding to the smallest slide that, when I get in something that slides more gradually, it just gets away from me.
Quote from Forbin :Recently, I've found that I've spent sooo much time racing open-wheelers and have become so in-tune with them that I'm now utterly useless in anything else. I'm just so used to the knife-edge handling and responding to the smallest slide that, when I get in something that slides more gradually, it just gets away from me.

I had the same. But now I'm trying to focus more on GTR's and roadcars, and I'm already doing some wr splits here and there, so it's slowly coming back.
Quote from migf1 :Not true, I'm affraid. Even Lewis is racing since his childhood!

Yes, but my point is so have most of the other drivers who have *years* more experience than him who he still runs rings round. Lewis 'has it' wheras they do not (well, not as much, they're still pretty damn skilled or they wouldn't be in an F1 car, but you can see what I'm getting at).
Why is eveybody trying to figure out something that is so clear? Like giving metaphysical explanations and such about practice and stuff...

There are people that have been practising for tons of hours, know every car, every track, have watched other people's replays hundreds of times... and they're not even within the 103% benchmark. Why? Because they CAN'T do better. Those "anti-aliens" seem to be perfectly fine, no one asks "why are these people so slow if they practice so much and so hard?"

Well, aliens are the same. They're just people that are very good! No one can practice and get beyond their limit. Alien's limit is just further than most people. That's it.

All the fuss about aliens is generated but the word itself. When people start using the word "alien" the rest of the people start thinking about guys that are different to the rest. Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you but they as different from a guy who can do a 100.10% from their WR than you are compared to your teammate that always does 100.10% of your time (given you are an average racer).

Where's the line that tells who's an alien and who's a very fast driver? I'll tell you: there's no line.

Think of how many people there could be out there that may be faster than the aliens we know but they just don't play LFS. What would those be?
Quote from MaKaKaZo :
[snip]
There are people that have been practising for tons of hours, know every car, every track, have watched other people's replays hundreds of times... and they're not even within the 103% benchmark. Why? Because they CAN'T do better. Those "anti-aliens" seem to be perfectly fine, no one asks "why are these people so slow if they practice so much and so hard?"
[snip]

They must be retarted or something! Even if they exist, I bet they are just a tiny minority of people.
I seriously doubt that any average talented driver cannot reach the 103% of a wr in a given combo despite practicing tons of hours on that combo, as you say.

Quote :
Think of how many people there could be out there that may be faster than the aliens we know but they just don't play LFS. What would those be?

We don't care about them. Here we are discussing about those who do play LFS. With your way of thinking, think of how many people could be out there that could be faster than Ayrton Senna but they just weren't racing in Formula 1.
Put on a green latex suit, a satellite dish on your head; boot up LFS and there you are. You may not be fast, but you will certainly be alien.

Being alien-like fast , what's the secret?
(101 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG