The online racing simulator
Quote from Woz :pointless stupid idea that is a WASTE of dev time. Exactly the same car just looking different brings NOTHING to LFS.

actually, whenever you change anything in the setup, it's not exactly the same car anymore.

and if you want to go "oh yes, it is", then please tell me how far "the same" goes and when "a different" starts.

Quote :and also........ search. It has come up LOADS of time before with EXACTLY the same responses.

show me.

-----
EDIT / ADDENDUM
-----

Quote from Woz :pointless stupid idea that is a WASTE of dev time.

This reveals a lot. You're afraid of the devs implenting something you don't like before something you desperately want. What a mature attitude: afraid not even of a loss but of a delayed gain... I read of LFS being a sandbox in a thread (possibly racing vs. drifting) - and that just hit the nail on the head.
And obviously you're not sure if this idea is really so pointless and stupid - because if it WAS and no one wanted such things anyway, you wouldn't have to bother.
And who do you want to convince that it's useless? The devs? Possible supporters? Me?
In the end saying "I don't like the idea because of this and that..." would be enough. The rest is just self-revelation... and believe me, you're not looking good.
#27 - Woz
Quote from Bandit77 :actually, whenever you change anything in the setup, it's not exactly the same car anymore.

Power to weight and balance remain the same and that is the key. For the car there will still be the single set most use per track

Quote from Bandit77 : and if you want to go "oh yes, it is", then please tell me how far "the same" goes and when "a different" starts.

Drive the 3 different TBO classes cars and then tell me they are the same with different bodies.

sigh

Quote from Bandit77 : show me.

Here is one I found with VERY little effort

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=39817

and another
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=37589

should I go on?

Different body shapes/kits/wings is something that has come up again and again in this forum AND rsc before it. As I said just search.

sigh

Quote from Bandit77 :This reveals a lot. You're afraid of the devs implenting something you don't like before something you desperately want.

It is not that I dont like the idea

sigh again. I will try m o r e s l o w l y

As I said, creating a new body for a car is actuall well over 90% the work require for a NEW car. Is that really so VERY hard to understand. Looks like it is.

So YOU want NEW bodies on OLD cars over NEW CARS because the workload is ALMOST exactly the same!!!!

Shows a lot about you

rotf
Quote from Woz :
Drive the 3 different TBO classes cars and then tell me they are the same with different bodies.

that's absolutely NOT my point.

Quote :Here is one I found with VERY little effort

this goes in a very slightly similar direction. but it's definitely not "exactly the same" as you called it. I, personally, still think it's different enough to open up a new thread (obviously) and to expect different responses.

Quote :
As I said, creating a new body for a car is actuall well over 90% the work require for a NEW car. Is that really so VERY hard to understand.

Don't I? I totally understand what you mean, if I believe this 90% theory is another thing. Remember that LFS-models have no moving parts except for the suspension, which is probably always the same model with slight adjustments. So I honestly don't BELIEVE the effort is this big.
A day/model/person? No time? Make it a contest!

Quote :
So YOU want NEW bodies on OLD cars over NEW CARS because the workload is ALMOST exactly the same!!!!

NO. I did NOT say this. I'm fine with this. If it's really that small a step from model to complete car - add complete cars.
#29 - Woz
Quote from Bandit77 :
Don't I? I totally understand what you mean, if I believe this 90% theory is another thing. Remember that LFS-models have no moving parts except for the suspension, which is probably always the same model with slight adjustments. So I honestly don't BELIEVE the effort is this big.
A day/model/person? No time? Make it a contest!

You have not been around LFS long enough to know what the original LFSTweak was capable of.

You can change the wheel base, wheel size, tyre sizes, engine type configuration and capacity, drive train etc with just a few sliders. Want a monster truck, click click click done.

The key with the LFS engine is that there is just a single physics engine that can do it all. It has probably become a bit more complex now we have different susspension types etc but I am willing to bet all are as east to switch as anything else.

The engine tone would even adjust as you changed from small 4banger to big V etc.

So yes the body (Which includes all the inside bodywork as well is most of the work

HTH
i like the idea because it does count how it looks around the car when you race
if it doesn't , well then all the beautiful graphics that are made off the circuit and billboards are wasted time!
#31 - RS1T
Quote from Bandit77 :So in your opinion we should forget about the skinning too, right? I mean - in the end there's no point but visuals... and they cost bandwith and CPU power. Why do we have buildings and trees surrounding the tracks? CPU power could be spent on more important things like airstream effect on tyre profile...

Did you ever think about the fact that LFS's output actually ONLY HAS three dimensions, namely VISUALS (probably about 98% of the experience), audio and some force on your wheel?

It'd be just an easy way of having a more heterogenous field without having to really add cars. Of course I'm not against adding another bunch of cars to every class.

... but oh yeah, let's rather have the devs add "realistic" features. just like our beloved clutch-temperature gimmick. this was sssssooooo great and took the realism to a completely new level. this made LFS clutches more realistic than real ones.

this doesent deserve a +1, it deserves a +100
I think that LFS should be something funny to play, nice to see and quite physic-realistic, but it should not seems like a sim for driving schools, with 1 or 2 cars for every class, just to show how it works.

If it is a racing sim, it must take you to a wider choice of "look" for the cars. For example, if you run a championship, you must have (near) the same performances but you can decide the shape of the car you want. If you want a mono-brand challenge, you have only to say "only XXX cars accepted!" .

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG