The online racing simulator
We need HANS and Seatbelts!
(23 posts, started )
To avoid further driver damage in lfs races we need immediate implementation of HANS system and seatbelts!

VS

remember... t's only for your safety! :eclipseeh
#3 - Gunn
Take your HANS off me you brute!

A racing harness would be nice I guess, though I don't spend much time in LFS looking at my driver
That proves it, the racers in LFS are braver than the ones in real-life.

Quote from Qurpiz :That proves it, the racers in LFS are braver than the ones in real-life.

rofl
LFS has seatbelts, they are just invisible. or did you ever see a driver flying through the windschield?

there were some nice custom suits for S1 with seatbelts, someone just needs to edit the texture.

and HANS is for pussies!
The LFS drivers are soldiers. Thats for sure. But we already have safety measures. They replaced the glass windows with an invincible material.
#8 - SyniX
Quote from inCogNito :windschield?

What´s that?
the big glass thing in front of you that you look out through...
Quote from inCogNito :and HANS is for pussies!

You know there were actually many (American) drivers who felt this way? illepall

If I recall correctly, one very famous and accomplished NASCAR driver who lead the opposition to HANS died when he hit the wall... something that would most probably never have happened had he used a HANS restraint.
But then, on the flip side, Pedro Diniz would have surely been killed that time he rolled and his rollhoop collapsed/got torn off. If it wasn't for being able to duck, as it were, his head would have gone in a similar direction to the hoop...

Same with airbags - they seriously injure, and kill, a lot of people each year. I know someone in Cambridge who is undergoing large skin grafts on his arm because the airbag cover on the steering wheel acted as a cheese grater up his arm when the airbag fired.
Seat Belts - sometimes it's best to be free to fly around/out of the car - especially if the steering column or scaffolding decides it wants to be where you are.
Side Impact bars - assist a larger car in riding up, over the sills and impact bars, and into the soft, pink, squishy bit in the middle.

Now I'm not saying don't wear your seatbelt, or deactivate your airbags. But a safety device is only a safety device in the types of accident it was designed to work in. Throw in a new type, and all that millions of dollars worth of research might become utterly worthless.
Sure, the saftey devides have their downsides, but when you weigh all of the dangers, i think it leans a bit to the wearing saftey devices than not, especially in a closed cockpit car. One thing that bothers me about modern racers is their refusal to wear fire resistant underwear while racing, with all those saftey devices, it takes a while to get out of the car, would you reather be a little uncomfortable or die in an oven..but now im just getting entirely off topic.

The drivers should at least have seatbelts and neck foam (donut that goes under the helmet to help straighten neck, but than again, nobody really notices the driver so i would say thats a "clean up" ""s3" type of thing to do.
Does anyone have that one black suit with the red harness still? It looked really nice and was on on lfs-files back when s1 was out.
On thing that bothers me in LFS is the lack of head support of the seats in the racecars. These days, GT racecars generally have high head support seats.
Attached images
racingseat.jpg
Off-topic..

Care to share that seat nick? - Have been looking allover for a decent race seat for some renders, thats the best one i've seen so far.
Quote from bobvanvliet :You know there were actually many (American) drivers who felt this way? illepall

If I recall correctly, one very famous and accomplished NASCAR driver who lead the opposition to HANS died when he hit the wall... something that would most probably never have happened had he used a HANS restraint.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't know anybody who died in a LFS crash.. illepall

maybe if the ForceDynamics 301 has some more buyers...
Quote from tristancliffe :But then, on the flip side, Pedro Diniz would have surely been killed that time he rolled and his rollhoop collapsed/got torn off. If it wasn't for being able to duck, as it were, his head would have gone in a similar direction to the hoop...

But did that really happen? It sounds serious but i dont remember a big deal being made about. I remember watching the race live and i think martin commented on it but surely if the rollhop had actually broken off there would be some big saftery concerns.

Also apparently felipe massas head on crash at Canada last year would have been a serious accident but nothing was really mentioned about it because HANS saved him. He hit the tyres at around 300kph or something i heard.
#18 - Fiiu
Well, how much does this HANS and seatbelts affect gameplay in LFS? I know, it looks nice to have those but I'd prefer the devs to first fix the physics etc. and if there's some time (or Scawen wants some R&R from physics) then the eye-candy features are added?
Quote from Fiiu :Well, how much does this HANS and seatbelts affect gameplay in LFS? I know, it looks nice to have those but I'd prefer the devs to first fix the physics etc. and if there's some time (or Scawen wants some R&R from physics) then the eye-candy features are added?

Basicly all the "improvments forum" is, is small talk amongst each other haha, after everything is said and done the devs are goin to work on what they already know they need/want to do, its not that they dont THINK of stuff like this, its just that they have priorities. So improvement forum equates to a wishing well :P
#20 - Fiiu
Quote from DodgeRacer :Basicly all the "improvments forum" is, is small talk amongst each other haha, after everything is said and done the devs are goin to work on what they already know they need/want to do, its not that they dont THINK of stuff like this, its just that they have priorities. So improvement forum equates to a wishing well :P

True, true. Was too quick when writing that, these are, after all, just suggestions.
-
(inCogNito) DELETED by inCogNito
Hans and seatbelts...

I don't want any additional weight in my car
Quote from DodgeRacer :Basicly all the "improvments forum" is, is small talk amongst each other haha, after everything is said and done the devs are goin to work on what they already know they need/want to do, its not that they dont THINK of stuff like this, its just that they have priorities. So improvement forum equates to a wishing well :P

Unfortunately, this is true. Perhaps if the devs would give us a short list of things they plan to include before S2 final, and things they're considering for S3, we would spend less time in this forum, wishing for things. I'm surprised that the devs don't post on this forum more often than they do, considering the small size of the dev team. I would think that the biggest benefit of being a small group is that you can easily relay information to and from your core audience.
HANS?wurst? dont, know this guy, but i dont think, seatbelts would be too heavy to take them with u

(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG