The online racing simulator
#26 - Jakg
What Hz is it set to, out of interest (again)?
100hz at those settings and I know what you're going to say, that I can only get max of 100fps well my friend has a 60hz lcd so there's more to it than that
so how do I determine the native resolution of my moitor?
#29 - Jakg
Then i've got some lovely Placebo's for you to try.

EDIT - Which monitor is it?
I'm never going to be able to prove it to anyone so I suggest that you use a program like TAT to slow your cpu down and try it yourself. Can you be bothered to do that? I expect it's easier to dismiss what someone is saying as rubbish

ps it's a Sun monitor, don't know the model number, think it's a rebranded sony trinitron
#31 - Jakg
I can't see any reason why the lap-times would be different, and while I cba to underclock my CPU atm (TAT doesn't work for me), from overclocking i've found it makes 0 difference.
Quote from southamptonfc :100hz at those settings and I know what you're going to say, that I can only get max of 100fps well my friend has a 60hz lcd so there's more to it than that

a 21" CRT huh

had a 21" dual trinitron. magnificent beast of a monitor. as heavy as a sack of cement and as pretty too.

the ghost images on it were so horrid i could draw with my white pointer on the black wallpaper.
#33 - arco
#34 - Jakg
From his previous posts I think he knows that but it seems to affect him anyway (or he doesn't believe it's true).
it is not as simple did you not notice that i did not comment on what he is saying? have you forgotten who i am and how quick i am to jump on other peoples' silly-sounding comments?

the rate at which the card renders frames affects not only how many frames per sec the monitor will show...

but it also affects the DELAY between moving the wheel and getting the visual output of said move

consider 60fps vsync rendering and consider (for a while) you have triple buffering... that means a 50ms delay, AT LEAST, (because we have delay of the wheel controller, the directinput, the physics engine blah blah, until the transition time that the monitor needs to show something) between input and screen
Quote from GrAnT46 :Hey Guys whats the best Computer for lfs?

For example no lagg Ect

Lag doesnt depend on your pc specs,you have to check your KBs in upload for that.You could have a 3000$ pc and ruin everything by just opening a P2P application...
#37 - aoun
100fps? 340fps? Whats going on here?

I get maximum 35fps!

xp sp2
2gb ram
gforce 6600
-
(Monkeymike) DELETED by Monkeymike
I use an old (but still great) 19" Illyama VMpro451 CRT flatscreen that can display 1280 @ 100hz.

Are there any modern LCD monitors that can acheive higher refresh rates than 75hz?
This is what people always thinking first, what is their maximum fps in game.. While only thing which really matters is actually the absolute lowest fps. Think this, you say you get 200 fps.. That is the max what you get, but in real your fps jumps between 40-200 depending what happens on your screen.

What happens there is your driving environment is changing constantly. The best possible point is when your fps stays always same, no matter do you have 40 cars on your screen nor driving alone.

If your monitor can show 60Hz, 75Hz or 100Hz.. You just don't simply need the higher fps. My screen (LCD television) can't show more than 60Hz and I have vsync enabled + fps limited to 60. And pc has enough raw power to keep it there no matter what happens on screen. That's how, no matter what I do on track, I always have same driving environment.

And yes, it does make difference if your fps jumps between 30-500 vs stable 60 fps
Quote from Scatter :You want more than 2GB RAM. 32 bit operating systems have a 4GB RAM limit (or maybe less) while 64 bit Operating systems have a 8GB RAM limit. You also want it fast, like 1066 MHz fast.

Linux 2.6 supports 64Gb of ram (32bit)
Quote from Scatter :...while 64 bit Operating systems have a 8GB RAM limit.

The amount is not doubled,its 2^64 which is far more than 2^32(32 bits).
Theoretically you can put 16 exabytes of ram with that...
Quote from Shadowww :Linux 2.6 supports 64Gb of ram (32bit)

omg:eye-poppi that's... like... 8GB!

:irked:
#43 - arco
Quote from (FIN)Eza :If your monitor can show 60Hz, 75Hz or 100Hz.. You just don't simply need the higher fps. My screen (LCD television) can't show more than 60Hz and I have vsync enabled + fps limited to 60. And pc has enough raw power to keep it there no matter what happens on screen. That's how, no matter what I do on track, I always have same driving environment.

Same here. 1680x1050@60Hz, vsync and fps limited to 62. Gives less stress to the cpu too.
Karting #90
Ok thanks Guys, i havnt played lfs in about 2 months because of the fps im getting and how depressed its making me =(

Its normally around -20 fps with a 15 car field =S
Used to run it on a P4 2Ghz with 512MB RAM (XP Home 32 bit ofc) and a GeForce4 MX460.

I got somewhere in the vicinity of 40-50 fps I think. With an empty track that probably would be. As people before me have mentioned, LFS is a lot more hungry on the CPU side of things than on the GPU side. Getting one of the newer high-clocked (or easily overclocked) Dual Core's should net you a nice fps increase if you're desperate for more. Or phrased differently, LFS probably would run best on a high-clocked Dual Core.

To be fair, over the years, LFS graphics have always looked neat, and there's been some upgrades, but the general shape of things hasn't had any major overhauls. (Unless I'm wrong of course, which I can be).

-Z
are you kidding? i was playing this on a laptop with a 1600+ and on board via video.

it went a-ok.
with an ATI 4850, a Dual core processor from AMD or Intel, 2.6 Ghz. 2 Gb of RAM you can get LFS to run at the resolution you want with all AA and AF.
I am now running a 2.53ghz pentium 4 with 1gb ram and a nvidia fx550 graphics card, and i am now getting anywhere between 20 and 50 fps. It usually hovers around 40 most of the time, but does drop when the action gets heavy, lots of cars close together. I very occasionally get the stuttering sound and jerky screen for literally 2 second but it only happens once out of like 40 races so i can live with it.
I've got 448 MB of RAM :faint2:

I have to set my detail settings quite low, but LFS runs fine with 11 AI cars on track. Online, though, my computer is fine with 20+ cars. And my internet connection is below average.
from what i guess... you have onboard video? try setting LFS at 16bit. for most onboard graphics cards, this goes very faster. also enable dithering, disable antialiasing, trilinear, but you can increase LOD a bit and the resolution.

my idea about lfs though is that you need to spend less on the computer itself and more on a good monitor and a wheel. maybe even save some stuff to get one of those force dynamics chairs...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG