The online racing simulator
Whats the Best Computer for lfs?
Hey Guys whats the best Computer for lfs?

For example no lagg Ect
#2 - senn
alright i'll give u my specs, i usually run in excess of 100fps, with everything maxxed out.

1.8ghz dual core Intel
2gb ram ddr 800mhz if i remember correctly, soon to be 4gb
Windows Vista 32 bit
Creative X-fi Platinum
XFX Nvidia 8800gt 670mhz GPU
Gigabyte mobo with intel chipset (can't remember what model, its out of production now)

This setup will EASILY cope with LFS as it is atm, even with loads of cars on the track, it only drops to 30fps with a full grid of cars, i usually run an mp3 player in the background for music too. I think with a different video card this setup was like $2500AUD about a year ago, so a cheap system should be a cinch to play LFS. Good luck.
In general you should get a Core 2 Duo CPU like an E8500 or an Extreme processor if you know how to overclock. LFS isn't multithreaded yet so you can get away using a dual core CPU because it is faster. If you really want to burn all that money away, get a QX9775. You also need a good motherboard that supports the processors (and I don't know crap about them).

Depending on the screen size, you should get certain graphic cards. The best ATI card would be the HD4870. THe best Nvidia card would be the GTX 280. The GTX 280 is really fast but it's also power hungry. You shouldn't pay too much money for an awesome graphics card for LFS because LFS relies quite a lot on the CPU, unless you like to play Crisis or something.

You want more than 2GB RAM. 32 bit operating systems have a 4GB RAM limit (or maybe less) while 64 bit Operating systems have a 8GB RAM limit. You also want it fast, like 1066 MHz fast.

But you should wait until fall because Intel is releasing new CPUs that fit on different motherboards and your new PC wouldn't be so new anymore.

LFS isn't as intensive as other games either so you can spend about $500 dollars on a PC and get pretty decent performance.
Quote :you should wait until fall

There is always some new bit coming out, unless you want the very latest for the sake of having the very latest (a joy that lasts about 3 months) LFS will run on pretty much any half decent computer from the last 5 or more years.

What it does want though is a half decent internet connection.
Intel 8400 - overclock it if you can
ATI graphics card - they are faster than nvidias in lfs
fast and reliable internet connection

I have

8500@4.1 ghz
geforce 9800gtx
2gig ram

and I get a solid 340fps with max detail and 16xaf 8xaa
Quote from GrAnT46 :Hey Guys whats the best Computer for lfs?

For example no lagg Ect

how about you spend less on the computer, since even medium to low priced computers can run lfs, and more on the peripherals?

you will enjoy lfs more with a nice wheel than with getting >100fps. if your pc can get 60fps with 20 cars on screen don't spend more on gpu/cpu.
Anything around the P4 3Gh mark with an ATI x800pro or Nvidia equivalent should be able to run LFS fairly well, as that was my old system before upgrade (running in 1280x1024, reasonable amount of AA, full AF), and it was very smooth. You can still have things like higher res textures, it's only a grid full of AI's that will slow your CPU down.

edit: of course you'll possibly want to use your computer for other things as well, so keep that in mind.
#8 - Jakg
Quote from Scatter :You want more than 2GB RAM. 32 bit operating systems have a 4GB RAM limit (or maybe less) while 64 bit Operating systems have a 8GB RAM limit. You also want it fast, like 1066 MHz fast.

Theres very little difference between DDR667 and DDR800 in real-world games.

Windows 32-bit has a limit of 4 GB but in practice will only see between 2.75 - 3.5 GB.

Windows Vista Home Basic (ugh) x64 has a limit of 8 GB, Home Premium & Business have a higher limit and Ultimate has a limit of 128 GB.
Quote from Becky Rose :There is always some new bit coming out, unless you want the very latest for the sake of having the very latest (a joy that lasts about 3 months) LFS will run on pretty much any half decent computer from the last 5 or more years.

S775 (at least in the current Core 2 Duo form) has been around for a surprisingly long time, however very very soon it will be dead. Nehalem will be out "soon" but it'll take a while for it to become a reasonable price.
Quote from GrAnT46 :Hey Guys whats the best Computer for lfs?

For example no lagg Ect

Really depends - even my PC seems to have trouble with a full grid (...when running 3 monitors), however you can spend a hell of a lot less and get something that will hit 30 FPS at the starts and then bounce of vSync all the time.

A better question

BTW if the guy uses the terms "no lag" and "ect" I don't think he'll be doing a self-build.
i am runing with ~35 fps or less
Maybe it is from my many mods (high res. packs..etc)
CPU Amd Athlon 2000+ 1.66ghz
VC Nvidia GeFroce mx550 64mb agp 8x64
Ram 768mb DDR 400 mghz
HDD - 80 gb
Any suggestions how can i make it work with 50 fps,and is it possible to lower the fps becouse my HDD have got only 6gb free space on the windows one (C ,only 5gb on (D and only 8gb on (E free
I run on a Dell M90 laptop (outed to a seperate monitor) 4gb ram, 2.3 core 2 duo proc. with nvidia quadFX 3500 graphics. (cost £580 from ebay 4 months ago). Using Windows XP 64bit OS.

1280x1024, full AA, full graphics with LOD tweaked slightly and I get 150-250fps when driving alone and never less than 75 at back of a full grid :cool:
Quote from Becky Rose :What it does want though is a half decent internet connection.

Which doesn't always mean speed. Ran QUITE well on my 56k dialup on public servers and through 3 leagues for a few years until broadband was finally available to me.

I ran a P4 2.5 GHz, 1 gig RAM on an old PCI bus ATI 9250 and 56k dialup. Ran fine at 35-45 FPS, except with the most full servers.
Someone mentioned peripherals - if you include displays in this then that will dictate your system for the most part.

A 30" monitor will need a good PC to get the most out of it, multi displays don't need the same raw power (unless you plan to run two very large monitors from one card) but there's expense on adding other hardware in to do this.

Like anything else it all depends on what you want from it. If you want to run on a single 17" TFT then you are talking about a much lower spec than multi-display or high-res panels or projectors.
Quote from moskvich3v1 :CPU Amd Athlon 2000+ 1.66ghz
VC Nvidia GeFroce mx550 64mb agp 8x64

both the cpu and the vga is old. however, the athlon is enough if you play with few cars. the vga on the other hand... you can try getting an agp card if you have about 50 dollars... a 3450 maybe or a 6200...

Quote from Monkeymike :multi displays don't need the same raw power (unless you plan to run two very large monitors from one card) but there's expense on adding other hardware in to do this.

what do you mean?
Qx9770
4gig ram
gtx280
100mbit/s connection
Logitech g25
Dell 2408
+24£ for s2 license.
Quote from alex_du_77 :Qx9770
4gig ram
gtx280
100mbit/s connection
Logitech g25
Dell 2408
+24£ for s2 license.

no... how about a board with four quadcore opterons, and 4 gtx280 in quadsli and 64GB of ECC ram?

CLAP CLAP
OI!!!

FOCUS!
#16 - Jakg
Quote from alex_du_77 :100mbit/s connection

Helps if you say the speed of the internet connection not the speed of your network connection...
Quote from Jakg :Helps if you say the speed of the internet connection not the speed of your network connection...

In France we have optical fiber connection with 100mb/s in upload and download.
#18 - Jakg
Oh.

PS - I hate the UK.
Quote from george_tsiros :

what do you mean?

Single large displays will always push a card harder than smaller discrete displays covering the same overall size because the native resolution is determined by the size.

The main point I was making is some people post specs and say they get X FPS, this is useless information without the resolution it's running at because that can have a huge impact.
If I get 270FPS with my setup and someone with the same setup is getting 100FPS if we don't say that I'm @ 1024x768 and he's at 2560x1600 then he's going to wonder what's wrong with his system.

I was saying to the OP that depending on what monitor arrangement he has or wants it will dictate at least some of the spec he needs to consider. If he's got a 30" monitor then he's going to need a damn good card or two decent ones in SLI/Xfire just to handle the res. If he's got an old 15" CRT then it's a completely different list.
I don't like playing with less than 150fps. People wont believe me but I promise that I set faster laptimes at 150fps than 100.

I have tested this, I was instantly ~.5sec a lap quicker when I played at my friends house with exactly the same wheel.

So I would recommend getting the best system you can. Oh and DON'T buy a DELL unless you never want to upgrade it.
Quote from southamptonfc :I don't like playing with less than 150fps. People wont believe me but I promise that I set faster laptimes at 150fps than 100.

I have tested this, I was instantly ~.5sec a lap quicker when I played at my friends house with exactly the same wheel.

So I would recommend getting the best system you can. Oh and DON'T buy a DELL unless you never want to upgrade it.

Really, if you want the best PC to play LFS with at least 150fps, what type of computer would someone have to buy to run Crysis ?

Even a laptop from last year can be used to play LFS very well.
Quote from fujiwara :Really, if you want the best PC to play LFS with at least 150fps, what type of computer would someone have to buy to run Crysis ?

Even a laptop from last year can be used to play LFS very well.

My computer runs crysis pretty well but it's a different type of game, you don't need to find 100ths of a second

I agree a laptop from last year can play lfs very well. I'm just saying that I go quicker with 150fps compared to 100fps.

To get 150 fps you only need a 2.5ghz core + a semi decent graphics card I would think, how much graphics card you need depends on how much AA and AF you want and not much else.
#24 - Jakg
What monitor do you have out of interest southamptonfc?
I have an old school 21" CRT, I like the flexibility of CRTs, I play lfs in 1600x900

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG