The online racing simulator
Harsh Kerb...
(18 posts, started )
#1 - AMB
Harsh Kerb...
So I was driving BF1/KY3, on my flying lap T1 and watch the replay to find out what happened, and comment on whether or not something similar has happened to you.
Attached files
harsh kerb ftw^q.mpr - 42.2 KB - 170 views
i think we got this posted 15 times already in the Bugs / improvements section.
I don't think he meant to post it as a bug but more like a warning. I don't think it's much of a bug. Taking a speed bump at that speed will most likely damage your car pretty bad (specially a the BF1 suspension).

Funny stuff :P!
It is a bug because if you just scrape any of the kerbs in LFS you will get massive damage and most likely get thrown in another direction, but if you cut straight over the middle of the bump and most of the time you don't pick up damage. :/
Too lazy too look at the mpr, is it the chicane coming off of the oval? I hate that thing. I can take it fine 15 times in a row, then I take it cautiously on the 16th and it's like I hit a landmine. The car just gets thrown in the air and spins straight off hopelessly.
#6 - AMB
it's the first turn at KY3.
#7 - RiGun
Quote from Lateralus :Too lazy too look at the mpr, is it the chicane coming off of the oval? I hate that thing. I can take it fine 15 times in a row, then I take it cautiously on the 16th and it's like I hit a landmine. The car just gets thrown in the air and spins straight off hopelessly.

Ahh yes, last week I was doing a 1hr race in KY3R and it was 5 minutes to end and that damn chicane kerb destroyed my right side suspension and as I was thrown off to the left I hit the wall hard enought to destroy all 4 wheels suspension, lovely
I have never once had something like that happen to me. I don't know what you guys are doing wrong... :P
#9 - AMB
Maybe your not pushing hard enough
Yeah, it is a "bug". The suspicion is that the tire model can only deal with one contact point at a time. On some of those curbs, and cracks between curbs, the tire ends up having two simultaneous contact points and the physics engine seems to rapidly switch back and forth between which one is being used. This cause massive forces that throw you off the track.

Try this. Take your car and park it along either the curbs in that last little chicane before the oval on KY2, or that chicane coming off the oval on KY3. The car will just sit there and vibrate if you park it in the right spot.
Bug?

If you ask me hitting a kerb that size at 140mph in an F1 car would cause substantially more damage.

Anyone remember this DC mounting a flat kerb at Sepang this year? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi6yl1jJ7WM

Now take a look again at the huge kerb you hit at 140mph (attached below).

You were very lucky mate
Attached images
huge kerb 140mph.jpg
Don't want to damage the car on the curbs? Don't intentionally create your racing line into the curbs, how simple.....

Stay on the track where you are suppose to be and you won't see damage.
Yeah but every once in a while you end up on it by accident. And that one error does that much damage. If you're too carefull you'll be slow as hell! So it's tricky. :P I agree that it should cause damage at those speeds though but I don't think there should even be that area with speed bumps? O_O I think it should have just been grass and a curb as usul.
give it a wide berth then. i think the reason why you can get away with it by cutting it more heavily is that your car bounces off it bodily, unloading that wheel a bit.

the gtr's are similar, using the floorpan as a bashplate on fern bay, nudging off the tyres to correct your airborne trajectory, and generally just abusing your license to kill.

snapping off your spoilers and turning your F1 into a cadillac [700+hp caddy coming soon!] will make you drive more conservatively. like, on the track for example.
As the track is how it is I would avoid those kerbs, especially when racing. They are there as punishment to people trying to cut too much but unfortunately as Hibex showed me last night you can ride them straight and suffer little damage on most occasions. This is what Scawen should address IMO, not the damage caused when cutting over them. In the meantime I wont be risking it them.

I agree, however, that normal kerb then grass would probably be better here as a deterrant to cutters as dirty outside tyres would lose alot of grip in the left hand section. The downside to this though is that at the start there is no emergency runoff and increases the likelihood of a T1 pile-up if someone runs slightly onto the inside on lap 1.
#16 - AMB
Quote from mrodgers :Don't want to damage the car on the curbs? Don't intentionally create your racing line into the curbs, how simple.....

If you can do 1 lap in BF1/KY3 at a decent pace without damaging suspension a little bit, i'll quit this game.
Quote from mrodgers :Don't want to damage the car on the curbs? Don't intentionally create your racing line into the curbs, how simple.....

It's quite normal to take as much as the curb as you can/is allowed. (Although in LFS this is taken to an extreme.) Those little hops can save you ~.3 per which is a lot when you're fighting for every last little bit. I don't think this is something you can really blame the users for and say "you're doing it wrong." Considering we're doing everything we can to be competitive with the situation handed us. Really need suspension breakage/proper undertray df modeling to get rid of our huge curb hopping tendencies.
Quote from tenmantaylor :Bug?

If you ask me hitting a kerb that size at 140mph in an F1 car would cause substantially more damage.

Anyone remember this DC mounting a flat kerb at Sepang this year? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi6yl1jJ7WM

Now take a look again at the huge kerb you hit at 140mph (attached below).

You were very lucky mate

That wasn't the point I was making. There is a "bug"/flaw in the modeling somewhere that causes huge forces when the tire has more than one contact point. Just try what I said and you will understand.

Of course if a car smacks one of those nasty speed bumps the suspension should be damaged. Those are extreme and would cause extreme forces as well. That is normal and realistic and is as it should be. Hopping over them at speed is a tad insane and is just one of those things that will have to get looked at sooner or later.

But how many times have cars gone over the lower part of the curb coming off the KY3 oval and gotten flung across the track without hitting the speed bumps? The answer is it happens all the time. It could be a virtually identical line to what they ran the lap before, its just that this time you hit the wrong crack in the curb and you go flying. That is the bug.

The chicanes on FE are the worst. Very high and brutal, yet you can slam over them at full speed while occurring only a small suspension problem that doesn't really affect the handling. You can hit those curbs all day long without too much problem. It makes things pretty extreme because in order to be competitive, you have to smash over those curbs at speeds that would never be considered in the real world.

Harsh Kerb...
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG