The online racing simulator
Realistic setups.
(20 posts, started )
#1 - Spils
Realistic setups.
When are the limits to the setups we can achieve in the garage going to be implemented any date or build on this. As LFS as had a long life now and s2 final is roughly 12 months away. depending on who you listen to.

"I" feel the setups should now start to be closed off ie alot more realistic to the setup you'd be able to achieve in the real world.

"I" think alot of the balance problems for example with the TBO class are due to the setups you can achieve, the FXO as example with the majority of setups i find on setup field make it drive and feel 4 wheel drive, lift off oversteer, and when you hit the loud pedal it steers in and drives through the bend..The understeer this car should have can be easily taken away with a alien setup.

whats everyones elses thoughts on the subject ??
#2 - Spils
Why as this been moved, doesn't it have anything to do with LFS general discussion. i wanted to get a general idea on what the players think about this..

Im sure a good majority have had enough of the strange setups possible in LFS?

edit sorry its in improvments now i can live with that it was first moved to setups board.
#3 - migf1
I agree! I have even suggested to add an option ingame for locking/hiding setup options, in the seek of a car behavior closer to what its characteristics suggest.
I'd at least like to see server side restrictions for setup variables implemented at some point.

That way we could easily setup a server to run a "spec" serries like a mazda miata serries based on the RAC which would lock most setting within certain ranges to emulate a mazda miata but still allow for some setup choices that are realistic for that spec. That would open up a huge amount more variation within LFS online community
And then what happens when someone has that setup that they race so nicely with, and it gets bogged down by some bastardized server? It'd be pointless, you'd need a setup for each different server you go to.. not to mention track combos in the equation.
Quote from Ca18Slider :And then what happens when someone has that setup that they race so nicely with, and it gets bogged down by some bastardized server? It'd be pointless, you'd need a setup for each different server you go to.. not to mention track combos in the equation.

I would think it would mostly be used by leagues.

I do like the idea
Quote from AjRose :I would think it would mostly be used by leagues.

Yes I was meaning for use within leagues and for setting up specialty servers, not for use with average servers. Most real life serries have limitations of some sort, having the broad setup options we have now remain but allow server operators to set spec's for the classes of car they want to run adds alot more flexibility.

If the developers decided to limit setup options overall a neat way of doing it would be to allow the full range of setup options in an unlimited class, have a default class for what they felt was appropriate for the majority of online racing and have a custom class for server oporators to create spec serries racing.
Quote from Glenn67 :

If the developers decided to limit setup options overall a neat way of doing it would be to allow the full range of setup options in an unlimited class, have a default class for what they felt was appropriate for the majority of online racing and have a custom class for server oporators to create spec serries racing.

Good idea, I've always been advocating this idea
#9 - Byku
I am after locking certain setup options by server. Simply when joining this server, our client would automaticly download it's deafult setup options for locked... setup options. So on my server I could setup Tyre Pressure to 1,8bar and lock in on that, and when a client would join, in his setup the tyre pressure would be changed to 1,8bar and locked.

I like all those "unrealistic" setup options, couse thx to them I can at least try to create cars similar to rl, and thx to (hopefully implemented) locking setup options I could make leagues with cars "similar to rl".

Sry for English, I have a feeling i've made a lot of mistakes ;P.
Quote from Byku :I am after locking certain setup options by server. Simply when joining this server, our client would automaticly download it's deafult setup options for locked... setup options. So on my server I could setup Tyre Pressure to 1,8bar and lock in on that, and when a client would join, in his setup the tyre pressure would be changed to 1,8bar and locked.

I strongly disagree with server side setup locking, if we are talking about public ones. If the server is passworded, then go for it, but letting each host define own limits would be a total chaos, like Ca18Slider described.

But we desperately need global limitations for the road cars at least!
I doubt that would happen frokki, I think it is more likely that the majority would just go for default or unlimited options and only a few would go for custom specs. And only really well organised server operators would get a regular crowd to such servers any disorganised ones would just die a natural death

Of course the option selected for each server would have to be clearly seen in the server list too btw

Another idea that would work well in conjunction with this would be within LFS when you click on a server the next screen also has a link to that servers optional website where the rules and details of the spec class can be viewed.

Another idea would be that a server could host and distribute setups for use on its servers.
+17.23 !!!

and just like it was mentioned in the other thread linked in the post above:

"I'm for it... ... every time this comes up"
More realistic setting abilities for drifting.
It would be nice to have a better traction on the front end of the car, and also larger adjustment ability for the maximum steering angle. Thank you.

EDIT: I meant the front tire grip in any cars, exept those gtr cars have propably better traction anyways.
Quote from TYRANT[FIN] :...blah...

If you talk about the FWD front axle grip, I guess you need to look for a better setup .
More steering angle has been discussed a lot... always ends as NO.

Edit: if you still want more lock have a look at Valuemod
If there was anything they could change, bring back the old options, like track width and individual brake/handbrake pressure.
lool. Reiel that would be great, jsut got done playing S1, quite abit more time setting up the car, but u could go ful throttle practically the whole course
Yep, the physics weren't as good either.

Actually, vote: Old setup options for S3, yes or no?
track width? is there a benefit of NOT making it as wide as possible?
Shorter wheelbase might give those Evil Kneivels a thrill?

Realistic setups.
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG