The online racing simulator
A new meaning to drifting
(203 posts, started )
Quote from mrodgers :Exactly! It is 2 different worlds. For drifting, you want the skill to be able to hold the drift, in racing you want the skill to be able to recover from a slide. I'm not stating that drifters wouldn't be able to recover from a slide. I'm just trying to counter the statement that these threads from drifters always make, "drifting makes you a better racer because you know car control." It is a statement that assumes that drifters have a skill that racers do not, which is a false statement.

I think drifting doesn't help to become better racers, if you learn Racing.
But i think it's not bad to know Drifting,because:
1)it's fun
2)it can help you in real life situations [not scared if it comes accidently]
#152 - ssm
Well, drifting DOES teach people about how their car grips, throttle control, and vehicle awareness. Which are all essential to car control in actual racing. You need the throttle control and grip awareness to keep your car on the limit between being on rails and kicking the tail out. You need vehicle awareness to get through slaloms, hairpins, sweepers, and any other kind of corner.
you are OVER the limit if you lose the tail. it's way easier to control a oversteering situation (yes even while turning in to a corner) than actually push the car to it's limit and keep it there without overdriving it.

walther röhrl explains it in his book "Sportlich Auto fahren mit Walter Röhrl" roughly this way: Take a long stick and try balance it in you open hand. it's way easier to make big movements to counteract the falling over of the stick than to make minimal corrections (which barely can't be seen).

racing on the limit is like balancing such a stick without having to make big corrections.

he also said, that in the past days racing the rwds also had some extreme drift angles in even the fast corners, mostly because the speed was roughly the same in these cars when drifting with the rear far out(at least on gravel) as it where in a 4-wheel drifting, but also because it was more safer and easier to lose the griplevel and control the car in such a drift than having the danger, that the car regains grip on the rear axle in mid-corner.

that all changed with the quattro, obviously.

imho, every one should do what he/she wants. have fun with it, there are enough servers for racing, drag racing, cruising and drifiting out there.

the best way to get a better racer is to race. you can learn some car control in drifiting too, but it's very different from the actions you have to take in racing to catch a slide. you never want to have the rear stepping out that far in racing. you do that either just for fun or you are too drunk to catch it in time (mostly my excuse).

i think, one of the main reason, drifters like lfs so much is, that it is so easy to recover from wild slides. it's almost impossible to lose a street car or the GTRs in lfs. in other simulations, it's way more difficult.
Drifting
Drifting is like taking a 3 legged dog to the local dog track. But he slides around so its cool... but won't win you any money.

But Tokyo Drift was the best movie ever....

Ok so I lied, Drifting is probably the lamest thing about racing
Quote from Fetzo :you are OVER the limit if you lose the tail. it's way easier to control a oversteering situation (yes even while turning in to a corner) than actually push the car to it's limit and keep it there without overdriving it.

walther röhrl explains it in his book "Sportlich Auto fahren mit Walter Röhrl" roughly this way: Take a long stick and try balance it in you open hand. it's way easier to make big movements to counteract the falling over of the stick than to make minimal corrections (which barely can't be seen).

racing on the limit is like balancing such a stick without having to make big corrections.

he also said, that in the past days racing the rwds also had some extreme drift angles in even the fast corners, mostly because the speed was roughly the same in these cars when drifting with the rear far out(at least on gravel) as it where in a 4-wheel drifting, but also because it was more safer and easier to lose the griplevel and control the car in such a drift than having the danger, that the car regains grip on the rear axle in mid-corner.

that all changed with the quattro, obviously.

imho, every one should do what he/she wants. have fun with it, there are enough servers for racing, drag racing, cruising and drifiting out there.

the best way to get a better racer is to race. you can learn some car control in drifiting too, but it's very different from the actions you have to take in racing to catch a slide. you never want to have the rear stepping out that far in racing. you do that either just for fun or you are too drunk to catch it in time (mostly my excuse).

i think, one of the main reason, drifters like lfs so much is, that it is so easy to recover from wild slides. it's almost impossible to lose a street car or the GTRs in lfs. in other simulations, it's way more difficult.

Nicely said!

When i started playing LFS i almost the same time started drifting as well.These drift sessions i had helped me to understand more about my new G25 and of course allowed me to be more comfortable in over the limit situations.My throttle control went smoother and of course i could balance the car better than previous times.

Cause its a sim the whell is the part that tells us what is going on with tyre sound of course,so with a good whell control,racing was easier.At least for me drifting taught me quick about some basic stuff and with racing now i am finding out some details to improve.

Noone can deny that its a matter of preference and personal taste so they both -drifting and racing- are loved by me.
Quote from ken9 :Drifting is like taking a 3 legged dog to the local dog track. But he slides around so its cool... but won't win you any money.

But Tokyo Drift was the best movie ever....

Ok so I lied, Drifting is probably the lamest thing about racing

another person that has no idea, plz never post again
i think 'drifting' is a one-word way to say 'using rally techniques on tarmac'

which is just out-of-place

until there is an objective way to judge a 'drift', say... an integral of a function with parameters 'drift angle' multiplied by the speed of the car's COM... it won't be a sport. it's nice, fun, worthless, whatever, but it is not a sport.

even THEN though it would be a tough call.

i could make apple peeling competitive and also with an objective measure (first to finish peeling wins. simple.) but that doesn't make it a sport.
Quote from george_tsiros :i think 'drifting' is a one-word way to say 'using rally techniques on tarmac'

which is just out-of-place

until there is an objective way to judge a 'drift', say... an integral of a function with parameters 'drift angle' multiplied by the speed of the car's COM... it won't be a sport. it's nice, fun, worthless, whatever, but it is not a sport.

even THEN though it would be a tough call.

i could make apple peeling competitive and also with an objective measure (first to finish peeling wins. simple.) but that doesn't make it a sport.

see my last post
Quote from george_tsiros :excuse me? how does that contribute to the discussion?

just saying that you have no idea about drifting, its the same with alot of the ppl that post in these kinda threads
"just saying" is not "contributing to the discussion". it's a personal attack. if i have no idea about drifting and you are a knowledgeable person it would be easy for you to explain to me in simple terms where i am wrong.
Quote from masternick :just saying that you have no idea about drifting, its the same with alot of the ppl that post in these kinda threads

+1
Too many people have no idea what they are talking about.
I am a real life racer and real life Drifter [at the moment first in my country,officially]. So i can say, that Drifting and Racing just go together, and people have no idea,that it's important to know both.
you appeal to authority ("i'm the first, so what i say is true"), which is not a valid argument.
also, the fact that too many people have no idea, does not prove that what i said is wrong.
drifting definately helped me drive the F08 alot better, either that or im a real featherfoot!
So we are here again. Why? And why this thread isn't locked?
I dunno, but we had some racer named Charley making a big fuss in Shik D, then saying "he don't even care." Really shows the maturity, eh?

Diarrhea of the mouth, constipation of the brain.
drifting is a motorsport, since lfs is a online racing simulator, doesnt mean they cant put a mountian track in it for the japanese motorsports, and also if they add something for drifting alot of demo racers will get a lisence, and lfs will make more money, ive been a big fan of drifting for over 5 years now,and yeh, drift tracks in lfs would be really good for the best racing simulator, rFactor got drifting in ther game so i think its about time lfs did aswell, or maybe they can make a whole new game just for drifting and keep this game for the, old people that wanna race
DRiFT, buy a license. And secondly, as far as I know there are no drift oriented tracks. Ebisu is a track used for drift, but isn't it also used for other driving motorsports? Stop asking for that junk, and ask for something that can be used for everyone
I like drifting because it is nice. I am not drifter, but I always enjoy someones drifting. I appreciate people who can good drift.
#170 - ssm
Quote from Ca18Slider :DRiFT, buy a license. And secondly, as far as I know there are no drift oriented tracks. Ebisu is a track used for drift, but isn't it also used for other driving motorsports? Stop asking for that junk, and ask for something that can be used for everyone

Have you heard of Col de Turini? or Stelvio Pass? Mountain pass can just as easily be a race environment.
dammit... i had this nice vid of f1 driving in the wet... full throttle and full opposite lock... amazing.

youtube pulled it
Those vids of the rally car... He's using it to slow down and not to look cool, nothing to do with show, like drift. And it used to be called a skid, or a handbrake turn, but ever since FF: Tokyo drift reached the movie theater it's suddenly called a drift.

A new meaning to drifting
(203 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG