The online racing simulator
how fast is pedals plus mouse?
(35 posts, started )
I use pedals + mouse.... I'm not happy with it at all. I miss my MOMO (broken) and the FF. But better than nothing until I buy a new wheel.
i just tested: if i use mouse plus pedals it whill show a W

in my opinion mouse+pedalsbeing faster than ff wheel is an urban legend, just as locked diff having advantage

an urban legend made up by some fast guys who want to disorientate rivals
Quote from lerts :i just tested: if i use mouse plus pedals it whill show a W

in my opinion mouse+pedalsbeing faster than ff wheel is an urban legend, just as locked diff having advantage

an urban legend made up by some fast guys who want to disorientate rivals

Again...i think im right to say that a faster(or the fastest) way to race doesnt exist.It could be mouse,wheel or keyboard.Just because you can drive one of these and not the rest,doesnt mean they arent good.Its just a matter of getting used to it.Practice and practice,wheel is surely better when it comes to simulate,but who knows...some people may think the opposite.
So according to some fast guys,i should change to mouse+pedals just because they tell me its faster,while it isnt?Where did you hear that?I think that any racer is happy with his control system,otherwise he would have changed it.Its just that they are faster THAT way rather than YOUR way,the end.
Also remember that certain ways of driving are slower by design.Think about people using G25 with manual clutch and H shifter...if you want to do things properly you get a wheel.If you just want to be the fastest or do WR anything is good as long as you master it.
yes i am an icecream here too

Quote from Technique :do you find it uncomfortable to operate your car using the pedals?

not at all, im 21 and most weekdays i drive this old honda which has manual everything including the choke, and doesnt take kindly to lazy gearchanges. my mate has a G25 which i've had a few goes of, and its almost second nature to me. the gearstick is way too cute of course, but otherwise i find it intuitive.

yet i havent bought one for myself. apart from the price, i find the forcefeedback quite disconcerting - maybe its just how its set up but i find it hard to follow. i get my racing "feel" from listening and watching, and i can tell exactly whats going on and what will happen next.

i guess im just not used to it, and it is a lot of fun, but the extra feel and feedback doesnt justify the annoying setup / setdown each time, for me anyway. im not disabled or retarded or anything

as for what is fastest, you have to make it work for you. a lot of people use auto-clutch, but i dont think it really gives an advantage. lots of people are very fast with a wheel, other records are held by mouse. keyboard, not so much.

since you're still laughing at my pedals, here is a quick video i made of them in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oov5H1oNcHE

brake is closest, accelerator is in the middle and clutch is at the back.
How mouch would you ask for making one more of that pedal set + shipping to Europe ? In all seriousness :O :P after seeing that video, there's no way back btw, lol@ the BOV sound
that's quite the wee setup you have there. would be perfect for traveling drivers
i thought a bit about selling these and then i had a clutch peaking / calibration losing problem and had to figure that out [a snapped wire twas the culprit], but:

Quote from MataGyula : How mouch would you ask for making one more of that pedal set + shipping to Europe

$150 AU

i plan to post pictures and measurements and instructions for making them yourself on my website http://diversion.deadbored.net/

i'm interested in refining the design, and things i'm thinking of incorporating are a different sort of potentiometer with a different-shaped shaft, and thus a simpler pedal mounting, and maybe making the pedals out of aluminium, and MAYBE even a button box.

HOWEVER

if you fine, handsome and discerning potential customers really want me to make you a set, hand-crafted in the best and most fragrant wood, aluminium and steel, signed and dated and editioned and with a drawing of a kangaroo, i will of course.

but i think i should have a yarn to leo bodnar if he'll accomodate me, because this might generate sales of his little black boxes of goodness, and he knows exactly how to go about selling things in a honest and effective way.

thanks for your comments and interest
Quote from i_MAXIBON :since you're still laughing at my pedals, here is a quick video i made of them in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oov5H1oNcHE

brake is closest, accelerator is in the middle and clutch is at the back.

Briliant design, I love it

How mouch would you ask for making one more of that pedal set + shipping to Melbourne

BTW, "The requested URL /pedals.html was not found on this server", pls fix that
fixed sorry i was working on it this afternoon [australian time okay its weird] and sort of got sidetracked making a custom 404 page. which i haven't finished either :P

oh thats right you're in australia

um, pricing. its early days, i havent exactly come up with a business plan.. but im thinking maybe charging a flat rate plus shipping to wherever in the world carmen sandiego is.

i havent assessed the competition or priced the raw materials yet either
or finished uni

my rocketry experiments are much better documented though
:O I better start saving money then

how fast is pedals plus mouse?
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG