The online racing simulator
Alternate Car Startup
(20 posts, started )
Alternate Car Startup
Hi,

I recently got Live For Speed S2, and I just have one small suggestion that would really make LFS more realistic...

When starting up the cars ingame, I wish it would be more "difficult", like in real life. In LFS all you have to do is hold the ignition button, and put in a little throttle, but in real life, starting a car up would be very hard to do. Also, I with that the clutch would be a little more realistic, as in it is easier to stall.

That's my 2 cents :P
Quote from d3boy2002 :Hi,

I recently got Live For Speed S2, and I just have one small suggestion that would really make LFS more realistic...

When starting up the cars ingame, I wish it would be more "difficult", like in real life. In LFS all you have to do is hold the ignition button, and put in a little throttle, but in real life, starting a car up would be very hard to do. Also, I with that the clutch would be a little more realistic, as in it is easier to stall.

You'll have to be more specific about how starting a car in real life would be "very hard to do". I fear your suggestion may attract a little criticism for that comment
Quote from d3boy2002 :Hi,

unless u got a very old car from maybe 1900 most of the time all you do is turn a key now
Yeah, we should have to turn the wheel back and forth, to simulate turning the crank thingy on very old cars. Apart from those and malfunctioning cars, I don't think they're very hard to start. Well, maybe an Alfa Romeo.
I think he means they're too easy to start, as in they start instantly. It should be like rTractor, where the crank time is a random time from between 2 values in the car's config file. It should have to be held down for between 2 and 3 seconds for most of the cars in LFS, they are from the 80's and 90's, and have you seen the abuse they get?
my '87 VW Golf mk II 1.3 (mileage - about 186411/300000km) starts almost immediately when engine is hot. when it's cold it's about 2 sec.
hi,

I'm surprised at how many replies there are already. anyway, I was just wondering, since I see on TV and in real life that race cars stall so much, I was hoping that in LFS that they would make the cars easier to stall as well :P. Well, i'm no race car driver in real life, so I wouldn't know, but if clutch control is so easy, why in real life to drivers stall so much?
Movies, accidents and poor drivers.
Do you drive a manual car in real life?

Seeing as we're racing these cars, they're always going to be warm if not hot, and so the starter-motor times seem fairly realistic. The age of the car doesn't seem too relevant because, again, as we're racing them, I think we'd make sure they had decent starter-motors in them for "heat of the moment" stuff if necessary. Apart from anything else, you might well have a starter button as we do in LFS anyway.

Stalling road cars is bloody difficult these days. The ECUs do their absolute best in modern cars to stop it happening - for example, I was moving a 2006 diesel Mondeo around, and absent-mindedly put it into what would be reverse in my five-speed Mondeo. Letting out the clutch quite quickly and without adding throttle, as I would normally for reverse, a very low-ratio gear.. I was surprised and a little impressed that the car didn't stall, but in fact moved forward quite easily in sixth gear from standstill. Good luck doing that in LFS..

Sam
Quote from d3boy2002 :in real life, starting a car up would be very hard to do

Yes, but LFS also simulates the fact that you own the car and thus have the keys - so it kinda does away with the real life nuances some people might be used to.
Ohh, I like it, I like it a lot

Ten points

Sam
ya, like in GTL you've to clutch and rev to start up.. though I think that might be a 70's 80's thing... I don't have a modern high powered sports car right now to test this theory on
Quote from Dark Elite :...I was surprised and a little impressed that the car didn't stall, but in fact moved forward quite easily in sixth gear from standstill. Good luck doing that in LFS..

A good friend of mine managed to start his dad Golf mk2 GTI (1800-16v) in 5th, from a standstill... the car was an '86, & it torque band starts @ 4600 rpm ...

Oh yea... it gearbox died 4yrs ago (as the clutch)....
The more destroyed the clutch is, of course, the easier that would be - but the point I was making was that really, you have to be pretty negligent to get a modern car to stall, even when you ignore the throttle pedal completely. Sidestepping the clutch always works, though

Quote from CasseBent :Apart from those and malfunctioning cars, I don't think they're very hard to start. Well, maybe an Alfa Romeo.

For the record, this is also quite good

Sam
well, the XRR actually seems to stall easier, as opposed to the ferrari-like, H shifter GT car (sorry i forgot the name). I just wish cars were easier to stall, thats all .
#16 - T.J.
Racecars got low power on low rpm so therefore they stall quicker... This could be made more realistic in LFS actually...
Quote from d3boy2002 :well, the XRR actually seems to stall easier, as opposed to the ferrari-like, H shifter GT car (sorry i forgot the name). I just wish cars were easier to stall, thats all .

Thats because FZR (the car you're talking about) is 3,6 NA engined car, which has quite a bit torque from the low revs, while XRR has 2.0l turbocharged engine that massively relies on turbo pressure, thus, easy to stall
Spot on, [RF]-art555

To d3boy2002 - why do you want the cars to be easier to stall? We've discussed how cars behave in real life compared to those in LFS, and nobody's come up with real glaring issues in LFS's stall modelling, so, are you pulling from real life experience, or just what you imagine things should be like?

Sam
well to be honest, i've never even driven a car before (i'm 14 ). But thanks to RF art555 for clearing that up for me :P
You know, I did get that impression

Sam

Alternate Car Startup
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG