The online racing simulator
LFS Custom Car "Contest" WIPs
(180 posts, started )
not bad man, not bad...
id like to see old cars in lfs
Quote from XCNuse :

obviously its meshsmoothed.. thats because i .. have no experience in game modeling

mine's meshsmoothed too, but u know, its easy to remove that modifier later IF we ever get these cars in the game and we need to apply another smoother..
er.. ya but i dont know how to model without meshsmoothing; its a completely different style, something that i dont know
well im using poly modelling, and when u compare my mesh with the LFS cars one, they kinda look the same.. so i hope its ok
progress is.. well usually good (is in this case i hope)

i seriously wished we had this car in LFS would so be a perfect match for the LX6

i could just see myself drift this baby!!!... nice job there XC
I'll think I can post some early piccies tomorrow, but I am currently having some little (major) problems with the creation process... Damn vertices, unite!

In the meantime I made a help thread containing some links: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=5874

EDIT: Damn, I need to start over with my model. It's full of holes!
so.. no progress any1?
im working on a school project now, ill finish the prototype car asap
I'm new to this so i was just wondering wat programme you are all using and if there is a free download on the web then could you post a link ???
I am working, slowly, on my own car for this competition. ETA is about 6 weeks

But I'm confused by one thing. Well, hundreds of things really, but one for the purposes of this post. How do you get multiple polys off of one edge? Two examples of what I'm referring to.

1. This car (which I'm not telling at the moment, just in case it's crap) has convered headlights, and I have the top glass modelled. It's slightly recessed, and has a bit of detail on it round the edges. But how to I then attach the light unit below it? I can make a separate piece that will just be close to the other verticies, but can I actually attach it?

2. I also want to have a stab at the interior. The dash board will 'attach' to the body at the base of the windscreen, and will attach to the body round the edges too in certain places. Again, can this ph 'welded' onto the body verticies, or does it just have to be close to them' so that no gap is visible?

Hope someone can help. I'm having a few difficulties getting curves 'nice' without lots of polys, but I'm getting there slowly.
tristan:
1. you select the glass part polys, and detach them as a new object (and edit the glass if it needs any more editing), and then u edit the ex.glass polys on the main body, do make the lamps. (my english is bad, msg me on msn if u need any further help)
2. you can use target weld, and weld them vertices one by one, no matter how far the one vertice is from the other.
Quote from nicolson10 :I'm new to this so i was just wondering wat programme you are all using and if there is a free download on the web then could you post a link ???

check this out: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=5874
just.. make your car one big peice, and just make things different elements and go on from there; thats how i do it, i dont detach stuff until the VERY end when i put materials on it
or.. i just make a seperate file and merge the model into the other file with materials just to do some test material renders

just build off of one plane (if your using plane poly modeling) if your box modeling, then just.. dont worry about it

tristan, dont worry about that stuff until the end is what you really should do, or else you'll just get stuck on it and not work on the rest of the car itself (unless.. you've already finished the rest) just... get on MSN er.. sometime since you havent gotten on in like.. months and i'll help you
..is it dead yet lol
I'm still making my first car, it just seems I end up with a model with lots of errors always at some point. But I'll make it!
thats how it works.. at first u make a failure, then ur second model is way better..
xcnuse: i had some other stuff to do, im gonna work on mine this week
what about u?
started my 3rd car .. lol
lol.. still a classic one?
at least finish one, nobody said we cant submit more than 1 car
im gonna finish the prototype, then model a Renault 5 GT Turbo
the ginetta which i still have to finish the interior wich.. shouldnt take but about a day (well.. the seat will take the longest i believe) then the porsche 911 GT2 which i Fed up the door seams so im gonna have to rip that car apart to fix it, and a gallardo which i will use for a door jam project (since it has so many good reference pictures).. and just a good car to model, thats of things to learn in modeling with the shape of the gallardo
Quote from ramtech :thats how it works.. at first u make a failure, then ur second model is way better..

I have just been making failures so far

...But I'm getting better
so...
here's what i've done with mine so far:
improved the cockpit shape, the vents on the sides, the front hood + vent, my materials, the front spoiler and the back spoiler

now i gotta work on the rear part of the car..

COMMENTS PLEASE!!!
ok it's not much but it's a start...mixing part 1 (ford writing will not be included in the final version...)
Attached images
pic3.jpg
pic4wires.jpg
not bad at all Taavi
damn good idea, i love that car
Slight progress, and 3 renders...
Attached images
Pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
pic7.jpg
@Taavi(EST): Looking good so far

And Ramtech, nice job