The online racing simulator
Draw A Car Competition!!
(75 posts, started )
Quote from sam93 :350Z, do you use colouring pencils for the colouring of the car or do you use a pen because I have seen pens what you can do shading with and was just wondering if you knew what the name of this type of pen is.

Ballpoint? You can shade with just about any medium.
Quote from MAGGOT :Ballpoint? You can shade with just about any medium.

Don't think it was a ballpoint pen I saw, it was more like a marker pen, I saw them used on Wrecks to Riches USA, when they was designing what they wanted the car to look like and they was using a marker like pen to colour the car in and to shade in the car, been trying to find the name of these pens but I haven't had any luck as of yet.
Go into an art supply store and ask for drawing pens. You can get them in a range of tips from metal tips to the brush tips and everything in between.

[edit: STAEDTLER do some nice drawing pens, I used to have a huge set of their pens when I did technical drawing.]
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Go into an art supply store and ask for drawing pens. You can get them in a range of tips from metal tips to the brush tips and everything in between.

k, cheers.
Just wanted to know as I draw a lot of my own designs of cars and make them look modified and can never achieve the right shades that then make the drawing look rubbish.
Pigment liners is one of the many, many names they go by. I think you're referring to rendering markers though (some have smaller tips for smaller spaces) because you're talking about shading. There are many different brands. Personally, I prefer working with Cartpack markers, but they aren't the best for someone just learning as they are very, very juicy and their fumes will fry your brain and burn your nostrils
Quote from MAGGOT :I remember your old FZR drawing from a little while back (in fact, I think maybe these threads should be merged? Now I forget what that thread was :schwitz which was very good, but you've definitely improved! Very, very nicely done. Yes, drawings of people are often regarded as the most difficult to do. They say that if you can draw a human hand you can draw anything. Do you only draw life-like, or do you do any more stylized works?

Even though I had a lot of troubles with shading ...with that portrait I had a lot of fun . It was a great challenge for me. Recently I draw in my free time only cars and portraits.

Quote from sam93 :350Z, do you use colouring pencils for the colouring of the car or do you use a pen because I have seen pens what you can do shading with and was just wondering if you knew what the name of this type of pen is.

I only use couloured pencils, mechanical and regular graphite pencils. I want to start with markers but still I have troubles with getting some of quality markers here like Prismacolor or Faber Castell. Globally here is a big problem getting quality art tools. I'm planning order them from eBay.
Sorry for my english, hope you understand what I thought .
I drawed the VW Bus and VW Beetle Cabrio at one day so they quality isn't ideal but as I wrote I'm proud of themI was using Faber Castel colouring pencils too but today I can't get them because nobody sale this fantastic art toolsI was have some work who was similiar to 350Z works but I send it to drawing comptetition so I can't show you it... 350Z you are very talented drawer! I was shocked when I saw your works Fantastic Work! I show you my old work sorry but my 3 in 1 printer cut some parts of this classic Mercedes 500k... If you want I can draw another one but probally first I draw a classic Russian limousine what I love and it's called GAZ 13 Chaika
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9187/mercedesyv0.jpg
Quote from [ 350Z ] :I only use couloured pencils, mechanical and regular graphite pencils. I want to start with markers but still I have troubles with getting some of quality markers here like Prismacolor or Faber Castell. Globally here is a big problem getting quality art tools. I'm planning order them from eBay.
Sorry for my english, hope you understand what I thought .

Understand fully, cheers for your help.
I will learn with colouring pencils at first then I will move onto markers.
-
([ 350Z ]) DELETED by [ 350Z ]
If you want to draw with coloured pencils Prismacolor is a great choice. They are very popular and the people recommend them. What a pity that I can't try them because over here isn't any shop or vendor that sale this great pencils and I must do with Koh-i-noor pencils. Their quality is quite good but I want more .
I has better draw than yours.

Edit: I never finished it because my dad took the sheet and wrote something on it... i was mad!
[ 350Z ]: are you using a transparent/see trought paper for it, or only your eyes? anyway these are amazing!

oh, i can't draw
Wow, 350Z that's incredible!

Maggot- looks like a 599, very nice. Gives me faith that side-on car drawings can look as good as perspective ones.
Quote from tikshow :[ 350Z ]: are you using a transparent/see trought paper for it, or only your eyes? anyway these are amazing!

oh, i can't draw

I draw since I was a small child, but I've started improve step by step . When I was 10 years old I drew characters from my favourite PC game (lol I can't say which game ) trained perspective and only used eyes and my hand.

2 years ago I've started with grid drawing when I tried to draw from reference pictures and sometimes I use this technique for some of my drawings for better accuracy which is needed when using reference photo but only sometimes. When the sketch was done, then I erased the grid.
I'm using my eyes and the good tool is ruler too. Only sketch takes me about approximately 2-3 hours (it depends on paper size, could be also more). It is very light and easy to erase.
But I see a lot of things I must improve especially perspective on other works, contrast between lighter and darker parts and of course shading too.

And the wheels are the hardest thing to do on each of car drawing inclusive of tailights too. With wheels I spend the most time and the result isn't always good.
Damnit 350Z, they look like a photo (blackndwhite ofc)
Have you tried using ellipse templates to draw your wheels? Could come in handy.
Quote from [ 350Z ] :First one (Peugeot) is on A3 paper and Civic on A2 paper (my boyfriend's car, present for him on his birthday). I really enjoy drawing cars but recently I realised my first portrait with people faces and that was the most difficult drawing I've ever done so far .

haha was just about saying that the peugeot draw was fake..
Damn you are skilled! Very nice drawings
Quote from TiJay :Wow, 350Z that's incredible!

Maggot- looks like a 599, very nice. Gives me faith that side-on car drawings can look as good as perspective ones.

IMHO, a well-done stylistic side view looks better than a perspective view. For some reason...
Quote from [ 350Z ] :First one (Peugeot) is on A3 paper and Civic on A2 paper (my boyfriend's car, present for him on his birthday). I really enjoy drawing cars but recently I realised my first portrait with people faces and that was the most difficult drawing I've ever done so far .

that drawings are very impressive
350Z, fantastic work thats awsome, is it from a picture or imagination. tried keeping up with a civic of my own ... im no compotition lol
Attached images
Image029.jpg
you've all officially got served

so, where do I collect my prize?
Attached images
bestcarever.JPG
Not really relevant, but my sister's fiance is an illustrator, he did WWII as a subject for his final work at uni.

Tank pic

He did one of a Russian light armoured car, but that happens to be the only one he missed putting on his blogspot. The vehicles themselves are drawn, then he used ink to apply colour and shading.
Quote from spacedskunk :Not really relevant, but my sister's fiance is an illustrator, he did WWII as a subject for his final work at uni.

Tank pic

He did one of a Russian light armoured car, but that happens to be the only one he missed putting on his blogspot. The vehicles themselves are drawn, then he used ink to apply colour and shading.

Damn nice!
They are very cool fuse

Draw A Car Competition!!
(75 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG