The online racing simulator
Z - complete lockup
(9 posts, started )
Z - complete lockup
Already had patch X-Y installed. Installed Y-Z, initially had one XRG race, no problem. Yesterday had one race in XFG, then switched to XRG but the screen froze at the lights going green. Computer completely locked - ctrl+alt+del no affect. Had to power off. No errors recorded in Event Viewer logs.

Patches X and Y, GTL, RBR, Fear etc. no problems.

The engine sounds are still abysmal (kills immersion for me), the AI still punt you off (that's the two reasons I won't pay), and I don't want a stable PC sent to cr*p while trying to solve this. Think this may well be it for me I'm afraid.

XP Pro.
Abit IN9 32-Max
XFX 8800 GTX 768MB
Intel E6700 core duo 2.67GHz
2G Corsair Twinx DDR2 6400C4
2x500G Seagate SATA2
X-fi Fatality
850W Enermax PSU
Dell 2407WFP (1920x1200x32)
No overclocking
G25
over 22 000 people playing lfs(registered) dont you think ist not the game,maybe something faulty in your pc? its possible
LFS locked my PC up 3 times yesterday. Could have been my graphics card - it was uber hot when i pulled plug to manually restart (button is dead and i dont like putting metallic things inside case when its dark to manually jump it on mobo)

Check your graphics card.
#4 - wien
A hard lockup can't be because of LFS directly. At the very least you should be able to bring up the task manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) to regain control. Try updating drivers and other relevant software, make sure all fans are running and that heatsinks are dust free. If that doesn't help you may have some damaged hardware on your hands.
Quote from Postman Pat :
The engine sounds are still abysmal (kills immersion for me), the AI still punt you off (that's the two reasons I won't pay), and I don't want a stable PC sent to cr*p while trying to solve this. Think this may well be it for me I'm afraid.

For the engine sounds, press shift+A ingame and you have a list of options from which you can adjust the tone/volume/evenness/gearwhine/whatever of your engine sound.

The goal of LFS (check the logo) is to be an "Online racing simulator", because modelling realistic AI behavioral pattern to be as close as how RL pilots would behave is very long and hard, the developpers prefer (rightfully) to use their times to offer the best physics ever to people. So if you want a good intelligence from your opponents, play online
My 8800 temperature, according to rivatuner, was 72 degrees after hours of non-stop GTL. So fans/dust isn't the problem. CPU temps fine too.

Nvidia drivers (Forceware 175.16) are only a couple of months old, and Nvida drivers are notoriously dodgy so it's common for people to roll back to one that's worked well/better. I can't see how this total configuration which works with everything else can be at fault. But I'm open to plausible theories.

Re: online racing; begging the question about the intelligence of human on-line racers (from what I hear anyway), I accept that's not LFS's main purpose. But the AI is there, and pretty pointless compared with GTL's, with whom you can actually have some fun with yourself..so to speak.
Quote from Postman Pat :Re: online racing; begging the question about the intelligence of a big portion of the demoracers (from what I hear anyway), I have now realised that one can truly experience LFS's main purpose when his rivals have a unique account they don't want to get a bad reputation by behaving like kids. But the AI is there, and really pointless compared with almost anything, but racing against computer programs is actually less fun than having some fun with yourself..so to speak.

I took the freedom to correct your opinion

What comes to your issue, have you tried downloading a fresh copy of LFS? That's an easy quick fix for many problems, since you don't need to install anything.
Hmmm. I might need councilling after that.

I hear you, BTW.

Yes, if I do try again with LFS, I'd probably do a reinstall.
Quote from frokki @ Postman Pat's quote (or something..) : but racing against computer programs is actually less fun than having some fun with yourself..so to speak.

haha

@ PP: good luck with finding the problem, it sure is worth the effort and the money in case you decide to get yourself a licence.

Z - complete lockup
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG