The online racing simulator
Petrol Prices
(42 posts, started )
Petrol Prices
Something Has to be done! about the petrol price its nearly $2.20 a litre here! Its getting hard to pay off petrol funds for my car

but isnt it like $3 over in america?

Lets see if we can come up with some ways we can solve this issue id rather go without things like new streets etc lol
+/- €1,60 for 1 liter here. That's close to $10 USD for 1 US Gallon.
1.50$ here, and near 2$ in the States I think
Last time I drove past a petrol station it was over £1.20 a litre, but I expect its higher than that now, because that was last week.
About 4.50$ in US.
It's $4.20 - $4.50 in California. It dropped about 5 cents today.
Its about $3.69-$3.99 in Ohio

Just glad I dont have a Diesel...$4.61-$4.74

Wow gas is high in California, is it because theres so many people there?
Quote from Scatter :It's $4.20 - $4.50 in California. It dropped about 5 cents today.

Thats by the gallon right? Not litre.
Yup. By the gallon. And a whole bunch of people are moaning about it. I don't remember how much it costs for you guys but it is higher than ours by a quite a lot.
Yeh it would be roughly $10 a gallon I think, but our cars usually have high mileage because you can't fit Hummers down most of the roads.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Last time I drove past a petrol station it was over £1.20 a litre, but I expect its higher than that now, because that was last week.

Yep that's about right. Think that works out to around £7 per gallon

[edit] actually i think thats wrong, probably nearer £5.50 (was using the wrong conversion rate, not used to this new fangled poncy European litre stuff) But it depends where you shop. Saw it at £1.40 at a certain garage earlier this evening.
Ouch. Well, I don't see a lot of Hummers anymore (except for the H3). People still drive as fast as they did before or faster and they even leave their cars on to warm up (my neighbor who drives a Lexus IS 350 leaves her car on for 45 minutes - 2.5 hours when she stops by her home to do something). I might do my dad a favor and get rid of the 3rd row of seats off the Caravan because he doesn't need them. His driving is crap anyways so I know it will help. Hell, the only cars we have in our family are two vans.
As for gas prices, some are just taking advantage of the customers. The Arco gas station near a Mobil station closed a while ago so the owner of the Mobil gas station is making people pay a pretty steep price because that is the only gas station near a freeway entrance. Elsewhere, it is lower because they're trying to compete.
We should have gotten a Honda Fit...
here is the same... 1 dl per liter i think... .8-.7
I have to pay around 30 dls for a 35 liter tank of my car
Don't buy into all those hybrid electronic crap cars, because those only save fuel when used in busy towns when you do lots of driving in heavy traffic.

Watch this video, Dave Fulton, funny guy, talks about the fuel prices and sums it up really well...(about 1.22 into the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... 3B1Uk&feature=related
How many times is this topic going to come up?

My question is, what is the average mileage driven elsewhere around the world? You can state in KM if needed, I can convert.

We have previously agreed that the average wages are approximately the same number in it's respective currency, example, US is $35,000 and UK is £35,000. Consumer products on average are approximately the same cost no matter which country, $150 is £75 in UK.

If the average wages in the US were $70,000 and the cost of consumer goods were the same, I would gladly pay $8-10 per gallon for fuel.

When it takes 1/3+ of your paycheck just to get to work in fuel, it gets to be a problem.
Quote from mrodgers :How many times is this topic going to come up?

My question is, what is the average mileage driven elsewhere around the world? You can state in KM if needed, I can convert.

We have previously agreed that the average wages are approximately the same number in it's respective currency, example, US is $35,000 and UK is £35,000. Consumer products on average are approximately the same cost no matter which country, $150 is £75 in UK.

If the average wages in the US were $70,000 and the cost of consumer goods were the same, I would gladly pay $8-10 per gallon for fuel.

When it takes 1/3+ of your paycheck just to get to work in fuel, it gets to be a problem.

Average wages in the UK £35000? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!

Latest figures put the average at more like £25k, but when you take the fat cats out of the equation, this figure drops to about £20k....anybody earning over that is doing rather well, unless they are in a high spec job. The average working man would be quite happy with £30k...I know I would! The "minimum wage" here is only about £8.5k per year!!!!
In my own case, weekly take home pay is between £320-£400 depending on shifts, and although I only drive to and from work 5 times a week (22 mile round trip) and a few miles running around, it costs me £25 per week just for fuel

As for consumer products being the same, it is well documented that we in the UK pay a hell of a lot more than the US for the same things...
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Don't buy into all those hybrid electronic crap cars

I can't agree more. I don't like hybrids because they are believed to solve all the gaseous woes a person may have when it nearly comes down to their driving ability. What's worse is that they're deathly silent. I almost had a Toyota Highlander hybrid run me over because I thought that something was ringing in my ear (when in fact, it was the electric motor). They even stuck one in a Tahoe and called it the green car of the year (htf is that green?). I respect the fact that there are those who really know how to use a hybrid well and get really good gas millage or they're stuck in a really crowded city and need that electric motor to prevent from idling but it waters down to your driving ability and you're responsible for it. I don't hate them with a passion, I just don't think that people should embrace it as the solution to everything.

On the other hand, I coached my mom to drive more economically on the Sienna and it's starting to pay off bit by bit. The average MPG got bumped up by 0.1! Now we're getting somewhere!
$5.25 for diesil
#19 - LewX
This is slightly off topic so ill balance it up with some ontopic. Petrol in sydney is around $1.60.

But my other question is that my dad's ford laser (with mazda engine)which is completely stock, 1986 model, 820kg, 1.6L, according to catalogue it made 61kw when new. So considering it only weighs that amount and has such a small engine, why does it use 10 litres per 100km (or 23.5 miles per gallon)? He knows how to drive efficiently (ie not lead footed, and i have driven it, the acclerator only needs to be lightly touched for it to go. Is there something that can be done or changed to increase efficiency. eg. air filters or any mechanical stuff.
Quote from LewX :This is slightly off topic so ill balance it up with some ontopic. Petrol in sydney is around $1.60.

But my other question is that my dad's ford laser (with mazda engine)which is completely stock, 1986 model, 820kg, 1.6L, according to catalogue it made 61kw when new. So considering it only weighs that amount and has such a small engine, why does it use 10 litres per 100km (or 23.5 miles per gallon)? He knows how to drive efficiently (ie not lead footed, and i have driven it, the acclerator only needs to be lightly touched for it to go. Is there something that can be done or changed to increase efficiency. eg. air filters or any mechanical stuff.

http://www.fuelsaving.info/driving.htm
#21 - LewX
Quote from mrodgers :Consumer products on average are approximately the same cost no matter which country, $150 is £75 in UK.

lmao, if only. When it comes to consumer goods, the exchange rate suddenly becomes 1 USD = 1 GBP.

As Bladerunner said, average wage is nothing like £35k, outside of London. And in London, the higer wages are negated by the frightening cost of living.

Don't forget the high taxes we pay which is needed to spend ~£13bn a year on benefit payments so people don't have to go to work if they don't fancy it much.

The main difference between North America and the rest of the world is the attitude and culture towards cars and using energy. Like the woman Scatter mentioned who will leave her car running for over half an hour for no genuine reason. Or the much lauded "summer driving season" that gets referenced every year - wtf is a "driving season"? Going for a drive isn't a sport. It can be fun, but if everyone does it, it just becomes an epic waste of fuel.

Of course, wasting fuel didn't matter in the past with it being so cheap. But now it does matter, and I bet there's a hell of a lot of people and families, mainly in the states, who for generations have taken cheap fuel for granted and wouldn't even know where to start with saving energy.
Quote from STROBE :Or the much lauded "summer driving season" that gets referenced every year - wtf is a "driving season"? Going for a drive isn't a sport. It can be fun, but if everyone does it, it just becomes an epic waste of fuel.

As I understand it, this is when most of America jump in their 'Arr-Vees' and travel the width of the country to go on their hols.
Quote from callmebob :$5.25 for diesil

if you have an indoor garage you could cut your fuel 50/50 (actually, you might want to double check the ratio if your gonna do it) with veggie oil to cut the costs..

My mates been doing it with his van for a couple of months now says its perfect!
Quote from mrodgers :Consumer products on average are approximately the same cost no matter which country, $150 is £75 in UK.

Sorry, I just have to jump on that. Most of the time when something gets imported from the US we just get the Dollar price converted into Pounds. So things end up costing nearly twice as much in the UK. Sometimes they take a few off just to make it look like they've put the effort in, but not always.

Recent example - the Rock Band game bundle. About $170 on release in the US. And even now it's still about £140 here, despite the sequel coming out at the end of the year. Fair? I don't think so.

Petrol Prices
(42 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG