The online racing simulator
throttle control
(33 posts, started )
throttle control
probaly on another thread so ill wait for flaming but short on time so ill ask anyway

does everyome else have problem getting formula v8 thingy ( not sure of name) off the line , not quickly just at all

no matter how gently im on throttle i get crazey wheel spin and usually spin, its that bad i darent try it online, ive resorted to bliping just on and then off and gradually reaching a speed where it grips, in the proccess actually being passed by ai minis !!

tried different setups and recalibrating throttle but no better, i know theres a slow speed bug on tyres but it feels like im actually getting throttle at a far higher setting than the pedal is depressed

is there something ive missed in contol set up ?
I often short shift with the F08 off the start line. It's not as fast off the line with this method but it's a lot safer.
with a little practice you can take off at full throttle in the fo8
There are a few 'tricks' to get the F08 to hook up. The first being
to control throttle...like you'd do in real life. Another is to use
very tall gearing for the 1st gear so even at full throttle, by the
time the power comes on, you have enough downforce to keep
those tires firmly planted.

Now excuse me while i put this in the Beginner's forum since many
of them could probably use such information.
As a mouser, the FO8 of the line is a particular night mare. I have a long first gear and a shortened second. I let it rip in first untill the car starts to go out of control then change to second. In the time it takes to change to second the car is back under control and you are accelerating at nearly the same speed as the pack.

It's what I do. Works for me.
#6 - TiJay
With easily spinning cars, I've always found that gradually increasing the throttle until you 'feel' the car start to move to one side, then blip the throttle and reapply. Then you'll get your grip and slowly increase the throttle. But that's just in theory.
Practice - thats all there is too it - may sound like much or nearly impossiple as it did for me when I started with LfS.

Something rather funny is that I just happend to click on the "Training" button today, and noticed that the overtaking section of the FZ50 and FO8 were the only ones I hadn't completed yet - I remember back then, when I were doing these trainings, I just couldn't get a hang of the FZ50 and especially the FO8.

But now... it went so well, that I easely passed even the Pro AI within few corners - and I still dont know all the tracks or have fully learned all the cars

My tip: Apply full throttle and then ease off as it begins to spin - memorize when it starts to spin out (how long time passes before it happends - no, don't look at a stopwatch - just feel it ) - this way you will react faster. After a while you will get used to let it spin a bit just to get that much faster, without spinning too much though.

I don't recommend altering gears for easiers starts - some tracks - especially the KY Oval require you to keep up with the pack - if you loose them, you have already lost the race.
Nope, no problems here with high-powered RWDs. But I can't get an FXO around a corner without going wide.
I had the same problem when I was new to LFS...

You will get the hang of it...after a while you can just sort of instinctivly know how to control it....you just have to correct the throttle when yo start to slide, and correct any direction change early and lightly....

At some point it will sort of 'click'...
got no problems on bends etc just getting the dam thing rolling in first place. sure theres something wrong in my controls as i should be able to get the thing rolling on a very light throttle, for a race engine it seems to have an enormous amount of torque at low revs
#11 - robt
I can get it off the line using keyboard, best way to do it is (if you aren't already) use manual gears, stick it in 3rd off the line and boot it.should be slow, but you'll get off the line! Once you get the hang of it, try using second, as it starts the wheelspin hit 3rd.(all using standard gearing) I cant remember what diff. im using, but try different differentials, and differential settings, see if they make a difference.
try setting the diff to open....

and if you still have troubles turn the throttle help on...
throttle help!!!

never

crash and burn rather than use help like that
Quote from tinvek :got no problems on bends etc just getting the dam thing rolling in first place. sure theres something wrong in my controls as i should be able to get the thing rolling on a very light throttle, for a race engine it seems to have an enormous amount of torque at low revs

Same thing happens to me, I don't think it's a problem with your controls, even with very small throttle openings, the rear tires spin, the only way to get it rolling is to correct the steering and modulate the throttle, at least in my experience.
Quote from tinvek :throttle help!!!

never

crash and burn rather than use help like that

thats the spirit, turn all the aids off and learn to drive like a pro!

i vote to ban all driving aids completey

Try heading to the dragstrip and spending an hour or so launching the F08, i guarentee you'll be able to get off the line after that
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
you wont have to ... taking off at full throttle is rather slow after all ... youll have the advantage of warmed up rears in t1 though
yeah, usually too hot rears...
funny it just clicked without me thinking about it about a week ago

now all ive got to do is get it round corners without spinning if i breath on throttle
Quote from tinvek :now all ive got to do is get it round corners without spinning if i breath on throttle

The FO8 is weird, it's easier to drive the faster you drive it, so taking it easy is actually harder. So drive it like you stole it and you should be OK.
ive been sticking to bwgp as its circuit i know best and im generally ok apart from first bend

am i the only one who finds the corners faster with the fox than the fo8?
#21 - Vain
BLGP is a pretty slow track for the FO8. Westhill is a nice track for that car.

Vain
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from thisnameistaken :Sounds like the problem I mentioned in the LX6 thread earlier. I don't really drive the FO8 but I've found in the more overpowered cars just a tiny bit of throttle change mid-corner can cause a slide. The general consensus seems to be that this is something that should be addressed with a patch.

Yeah, it is exactly as you mentioned... Only worse, because the FO8 has a lot more power...
I would say that the throttle alone don't upset the F08/LX6/RAC. It's more about how the cars handle any changes during cornering. Just like the FZR is very smooth to drive around corners if you just don't make any changes in throttle/braking. Just a little dip on brakes or slightly more throttle will send the rear wide loose.

Getting a good start in F08 is a positive challenge for me because once you get a good start in it, it just feels so good. They key is to allow little spin right after the cars starts moving and then play with the throttle trying to get good accleration and trying not to spin the rears. It's totally different from XRR/FXR where the only way to have good start is flooring the throttle.

But the main thing is to remember is the throttle control. Slightly giving it more and more... I still find it very strange that so many people try to overcome the "slippines" of the F08 by using higher gears, like the 3rd or fourth when the 2nd is the best one...?

F08 is easier/more fun than LX6 Not because it's easier but because it's more fun. Imho, of course!
Sorry if this has been asked b4.

How can u put throttle and brake on at the same time. I see Sracer do this alot and when i even touch the brake the throttle wont stay open even when i floor it. Thanks in advance
you probably have your pedals set in windows control panel as combined!! this means when you use the brake you cant use to throttle and vise versa...

go into your controller setting and turn off combined pedal axis so then each of the pedals will be independant and you will be allowed to use both....

then simply setup your pedals in lfs and your're on your way!

*i have the momo racing wheel.. settings in windows will vary slightly between wheels*

mad

throttle control
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG