The online racing simulator
throttle control
(33 posts, started )
Thanks alot ill try it asap
I found the key to pulling off the line sucessfully in FO8, and quickly in FOX too incidentally, was an upgrade to my computer which raised the framerate of the game - the extra framerate gave me more perception/control during this critical time.

If you are really struggling to pull away i'd recommend lowering your graphics settings, or practicing on an empty track with no other cars to draw.
I always change the gearing. These formula cars don't need all that torque in every gear. I use the gear calc frequently. I ususally end up with a final gear in the high 2's or mid 3's, then adjust the other shift points to get the fastest times through the gears and the fastest top speed. It does make the upshifting very fast, but you get to speed quickly with little tire spin, maybe a chirp or two. Many times when I find myself starting near the back of the pack, I pass half the grid on the way to T1.
I somehow managed to spin the FOX under power tonight :doh:
quick update

cant understand why i started this thread now, unless im really tired, i can now generally be one of the quickest fo8s off the line and its only when i'm really pushing that i tend to spin. not sure how much of this is experience and how much is the setup ive developed, cant take credit for all of it as it started off as a setup sent to me but its been tweaked a lot to suit me.

biggest discovery was when i used my brain at turn 1 on blackwood.

once i remembered this is a sim, not a game, i clicked about the change of tarmac and how it was on these that i was loosing the back end. not sure if it is the surface modeling or just that point in my driving style but ive got it sorted now.

overall im now at what i consider a comfortable and safe speed level, running 1.08s to 1.09s round blackwood, just need to work at the next 3 secs
extra thought / worry

its very rare i find anyone elses setup that suits me, no matter how many laps i try them for, am i developing a strange driving style or will flexability in this area come later?

to be honest im not bothered at moment
Quote from tinvek :am I developing a strange driving style or will flexability in this area come later?

Everything comes with practice

Took me ages to learn how to race around a track, let alone be competitive!

My brother is now having the problem of forgetting howto drive, and learning howto race!!!

If I grab a setup from the inferno setupfield, I always end chucking extra wing on it to get me around the track, but the more you race, the faster you go

Practice makes better, you can never be perfect!
just started a thread on this in setup forum. why do people insist on using edgy setups they cant run with for more than 2 laps without crashing, my setups all tend to be race rather than what id call qualifying setups

is it due to people getting wr setups and not realising they are for that one special lap ? and then thinking that if its really hard to control, then it must be fast ?

throttle control
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG