The online racing simulator
Whose in fault?
(96 posts, started )
Whose in fault?
#2 - Vain
Definitely the white Caterham.

Vain
The guy in the white, although he was clearly faster than the driver in front, that was a nasty dive into a place with no room, in fact he had to drive completely off the track to try the move, almost the whole car was off the track.

I also can't believe the liberties they were taking with the corners, didnt realise Caterham's made good off roaders LOL.

Dan,
Yeah the white driver. He was too far back and didn't make enough effort to stay REALLY tight in the corner.

Should have hung back and waited, he was obviously quicker, BUT we all know what it's like in the heat of the moment - he felt he could make it and would have if the other driver had given more room.
Great driving But definately the white one was to blame.
#6 - Gunn
Great topic guys.

The white car was at fault and although he was faster, the leading car was really making him work for it, that front guy looked like he was trying hard to keep his position. great stuff.

**This shouldn't really be in the general LFS discussion but will leave it here for a while because it promotes the benefits of clean racing in LFS.
#7 - Fetzo
yep the white one . he was quiet careful before i don't understand why he did this move there. the leading driver couldn't possibly forseen that one.
Hehe, i'll have to go with the white guy also. Just to repeat, he was faster
and the guy in front sure seemed to know it, but this is the kinda move
that can end very badly.

Oh, and i was gonna say the same as Gunn, this isn't really about LFS...
the white car, he was faster etc etc etc blaa blaa blaa (cant b bothrered to say it all again)

Unless anyone knows what lap it was on, maybe it was last lap saw half a chance and went for it. A bad attempt none the less.
It looked as if he had the better speed but was all over the back of the blue one, a very defensive driver can lead you to try something unexpected, i've got a feeling there wouldn't have been contact if the blue guy thought he'd attack there.

My tactic when given a tough (but slower) guy to pass, is to give pressure in your strongest corners, except one, save your strongest corner for making the pass, don't give 'em any hints you like to pass there. and hopefully it will come as a surprise when you do go for the pass, as long as they can see you coming. you gotta make sure they know you're there tho' !
I don't know anything about racing, but it seems to me that even if the white guy was faster, he was'nt faster enough to pass the front one. Every time he tried to pass, he was always a bit short and could'nt do the move.

I may be wrong, but i don't think the other guy(i know he was not doing it) should let him pass.
#12 - AJS
Other question :

What steering ratio do caterhams have ? The wheels turn very fast ! Could be interesting to know the real value for the DFP
2 turns lock to lock I believe, so 540DEG, could be wrong though.

Dan,
#14 - AJS
Thanks !
Hmm, looking at it you can see that the blue one was a bit out from the racing line at the point when the white decided to attack (he was all the way to the left and stayed there quite long too). So in a way the blue gave him a chance.

So in my opinion the pass was correct but a damn risky one. The blue car hadn't started to turn into the corner so the game was still on.

:flamed: :bananadea
I think it's the fault of the caterham...
LOLZ :P
Quote from Hyperactive :Hmm, looking at it you can see that the blue one was a bit out from the racing line at the point when the white decided to attack (he was all the way to the left and stayed there quite long too). So in a way the blue gave him a chance.

So in my opinion the pass was correct but a damn risky one. The blue car hadn't started to turn into the corner so the game was still on.

:flamed: :bananadea

But to even attempt the move the white guy had to get almost his whole car off the track, there simply wasnt enough room for him to try and overtake.

Dan,
That's what the LX4 should be like, I might download slickmod and see what it's like with slicks but it looks dman fun, love watching good Knock Hill races as it's the closest track to me and is a great little circuit.

I wont even give my opinion as it's been said many times up there ^^
gr8 vid.
the car with cam is to blame 100% for accident.
At first glance would appear to be the white car.

BUT.

As the blue car is our of shot our driver in the white car might have spotted an opertunity that he wouldn't have normally taken. Obviously the Blue car got his line wrong going through that complex if that is the case then maybe a certain amount of wielding should have taken place. But Cat 7's is uber competative and relativly cheap to race in so knocks and bangs are always happening.

What did strick me was the handling. People mention how badly the LX's oversteer in LFS, they oversteer badly in real life too. The diffence being that in real life there is so much more feedback to the driver enabling him to control the more extreme handling attributes of the Cats.

I actually think that LFS doesn't have it too far off in terms of simulation of a rear wheel drive, front engined Lotus 7 repilica. People just need to understand that the car does not respect those that don't respect it . . . .
Some racing, this just goes to show what real fun LFS can be.
#22 - Jakg
id say the cam car, although the blue car should look at the position of the other cars, but there really wouldnt have been anything for him to do other than run onto the gravel or just hope that the cam car would do something, but as it happened the cam car just held the racing line, and as both cars cant occupy the same space, they crashed
White cat's fault: I thought it was obvious the blue cat was going to turn in. You see the white cat backing off and not trying silly maneuvres in the clip and that the blue cat's driver is less experienced. Hence: the white cat's driver should have taken more care knowing the aforementioned as it was him/her still the one to attempt the pass.
It was a racing incident caused by both drivers. The white car made an overly optimistic move. The blue car took a way different line on that lap than on previous laps. He had scrubbed off a lot more speed than he was normally carrying through that corner. (This may have led the white car to dive in because he would not have been able to avoid hitting the blue car... maybe). I guess you could also ask which car took the racing line, and which didn't?

The blue car was obviously way loose and having trouble hanging on to the car. The white car was much more in control. I think the blue car was overly optimistic about keeping the car on the track, let alone staying in front of the white car.

The reason the passes did not carry is these cars have exactly the same power and it is very difficult to get a good run without drafting help. Watch some other Cat 7 videos, and they use bump drafting heavily to make passes.
Really guys, where has the blue car been off the line? Look at that video again and notice that both drivers took the outmost line to drive to that corner because it is a rather sharp one... The one with the camera is fully to blame for that accident, as he tried to force the pass at a place he clearly couldn't do that (I call that "crowbar-passing") and just hoped that the other one would back off (which he didn't, because he wouldn't even thought the white caterham would try to pass there, thus he was caught by surprise for sure)... You can see that the white car driver's passing attempts get more desperate and more aggressive with the progression of this video, leading to this suicidical move at the end...

The only error the blue car made was not being aware of the white car at this corner (which even that you can't really blame on him, nobody would have passed at that corner... well, ok, someone did)...

Whose in fault?
(96 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG