The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Linsen :Strange thing is, the field was not rated that bad. Still rated below 1.600, but I've raced with packs below 1.500 and that was cleaner. Just one of those races, I suppose.

I just came from a 2000 strength field which was the most chaos I've seen in any iRacing race yet. I started in 7th position and after the first two corners I was 3rd, then overtaken for 4th and stayed there. 4 people had 10+ incident points that race, quite a big mess

The track is just so... unsuited for overtaking, that whenever an action goes wrong, it just goes wrong.
I just signed up last night and got to say I'm mighty impressed with it!

What we need is a list somewhere of all the LFS'ers so we can add them to our friends list.
Quote from jasonmatthews :I just signed up last night and got to say I'm mighty impressed with it!

What we need is a list somewhere of all the LFS'ers so we can add them to our friends list.

Pretty good idea, I have some LFSers in my list, but it's hardly a huge list.
Found you but can't find how to add you, man the system is VERY confusing at 1st...

Edit: Found it and added, thanks
I've cancelled my iRacing subscription, not because I am not very impressed with it or because it is too expensive but because I simply don't have enough time to race it. If it was possible to race more than one track a week and race the same car more than once every 2 hours in big grids I would be more interested.
Ugghh, I just had a very emberassing race... I just came from dinner and signed up for a race 1 minute in advance. I drove alright and gained two spots in the first few laps, and then the whole car felt like it was coming apart and I was sliding all over the place. I disconnected a couple of laps after that because I was feeling so horrible about my public display. Perhaps it just wasn't a good idea to race with just 20 laps of experience :\
Quote from jasonmatthews :Found you but can't find how to add you, man the system is VERY confusing at 1st...

Edit: Found it and added, thanks

Hey, earlier this day we were actually in a Laguna Seca Time Trial session together, what a coincidence :>
I suck atm, today was my 1st ever go at laguna, pb is 1.51.18 or something...

Do you have any more LFS names I can add pls?
Added you both, my info can be found on sig
Quote from jasonmatthews :I suck atm, today was my 1st ever go at laguna, pb is 1.51.18 or something...

Do you have any more LFS names I can add pls?

That's really not bad for a first go!
I had a lot of trouble getting back into LS after a week of Limerock Park, I'm very glad I did a practice before anything else because I went off at certain corners every single lap for the first 20 minutes

It's just such a tricky track, I know exactly where I'm losing time to the fast drivers, and it's just so obvious, but I just can't nail some of the corners, the line is just very hard to get right

PS. Crommi, the signature thing is a good idea!
Guys if you haven't ran Advanced Solstice at Summit Point (track for this week), give it a go. It feels fresh and different to LS and LRP. Challenging tight twisty sections etc., me likes

iRacing ident: Tomas Vala
I added you guys.

Here's my iRacing info

@jason: 1:51.1 is actually quite good, imho. My pb is 1:50.2, but I'm far off my pace on LS this week. Was barely able to pull off a 1:50.8 during the race and couldn't even get below 1:51 during a time trial. Way too many incidents, too. I hate that track.

@TV: I totally agree, Summit Point is a great track. Suits the Solstice very well. More like LRP. If I wasn't so dreadfully slow compared to most of the Advanced racers I'd just race that. I need more practice, though. PB offline is a low 1:30 and a 1:30.8 in TT. That doesn't really cut it with the other advanced racers, I suppose.
List of LFS iRacing drivers!
I am starting a list here for those who play LFS and iRacing. If you submit your name to the list, then it is assumed you're happy to have LFSers add you to their buddy list

If you want to be on this list, please PM me rather than replying here (to keep the thread tidy!) with the name you use on iRacing, and I will add you to the list. I have added the people who have shared their info on this thread, but PM me if you would like to be removed! I will update this post as people contact me...

LFS username / iRacing name

Michael Denham / Michael Denham
TV[cz] / Tomas Vala
Linsen / Heiko Dilk
Mackie The Staggie / Scott MacDonald
spanks / Daniel McClelland
jasonmatthews / Jason Matthews
Ball Bearing Turbo / Jeff Gerding
spanks / Daniel McClelland

Haven't played really at all recently...when I do its mostly the advanced legends around road courses for fun.

Been extremely busy and haven't had the time to practice or race at all. Was disappointed to see that its back on laguna seca, even though I like the track I only got the one race in with the solstice at LRP.

I'm really feeling the subscription thing hovering over me. I feel like I need to play more to take advantage of the time I have, but I don't want to play the game casually, so if I'm tired or not really feeling it I won't play...can't kill my safety rating because I'm falling asleep.

1:50.0 was my fastest lap around laguna last time I raced there. Hopefully I've learned some things since then and I'll bump into the 49's.
Quote from TV[cz] :Guys if you haven't ran Advanced Solstice at Summit Point (track for this week), give it a go. It feels fresh and different to LS and LRP. Challenging tight twisty sections etc., me likes

iRacing ident: Tomas Vala

Yeah I drove my first advanced solstice race today. I had never driven a lap in the advanced solstice and it was my first time at summit pt. I'm not sure what I was thinking but I joined the race 2 minutes before it was about to start. I did 1 test lap then had to join the server. I started 5th and was a bit worried with my complete lack of practice. I moved up to 3rd after the first turn. Two turns later, the leaders went off track followed by the guy behind me. Maybe they thought it was a rally stage!? I was surprised to cruise to an easy win with 0 incident points... It's a really fun track. I'm thinking of doing my first track day at Summit Point. It's ~5 hours away but I have some people I can stay with in Virginia. It would be interesting to see how I adapt from the sim world to the track..
Quote from Michael Denham :I am starting a list here for those who play LFS and iRacing. If you submit your name to the list, then it is assumed you're happy to have LFSers add you to their buddy list

If you want to be on this list, please PM me rather than replying here (to keep the thread tidy!) with the name you use on iRacing, and I will add you to the list. I have added the people who have shared their info on this thread, but PM me if you would like to be removed! I will update this post as people contact me...

LFS username / iRacing name

Michael Denham / Michael Denham
TV[cz] / Tomas Vala
Linsen / Heiko Dilk
Mackie The Staggie / Scott MacDonald

I think the friend system actually screws up the match making system. Let's take jonsey for example. His irating is MUCH higher than mine. If the friends system pairs us up together, I will wind up hurting his series points. It will either grid me with his field (with high skill ratings) or he'd get put with us slow drivers. Either way, if I get put in the field with the higher skilled guys I'll bring down the average irating and thus the number of points the race winner can earn is lower. If he gets put with the slow drivers and wins by a large margin he'll still only earn minor points. Since the weekly points are averaged he's screwed either way! That's my theory anyway
(First off, where the hell do you add friends?)

Despite my last post, I decided to join the 10:00pm race 45 seconds before it started.

I was 4th on the grid out of 10, only the top 2 had qualified. I pulled in behind 3rd on the start, and we diced it out for a few laps. It was really a lot of fun. We were close in speed, and I had the first half of the track down really well, and he'd pull away on the second half. (I'd pull away everywhere after I warmed up a bit ). On lap 2 I had gotten around him. I got really sloppy out in front, partly from being in the lead, and party because I didn't have anyone to follow anymore and I was screwing up a lot.

On lap 3 I screwed up turn 2 exit and turn 3, and he got up along side me...now I've never gone two wide into turn 4, and I'd prefer not to do it again. I gave him as much room as possible, but on corner exit he slid up a bit and tapped my inside. We both made it out pointing straight, but apparently it bent the toe in the left front. He said after that his wheel wasn't even straight anymore.

I drove away the rest of the race to 1st. I had 10 incidents...very upset about that lol. During the race I only went off twice I think for incident points, and then I had the damn contact points...all 8 of em.

A lapped, very slow car was in front of me on like lap 8. I figured he's seen me by now as I followed him for half a lap catching more and more. Going into turn 10 He broke really early, and turned in way earlier than I expected. I broke a little later and stayed towards the inside so I didn't rear end him under braking...the plan didn't work out so great. I broke my left front and got 4 more points and had to put the rest of the race. He didn't spin or anything, just got a little tap into the corner, I passed him in turn 11 and off I went.

He was a rather erratic driver...

So anyways, I believe my safety rating went down like .01 even though I won the race.

Good news is I pulled a 1:49.0 out of my ass on the 6th lap for a previous PB shattering lap. It wouldn't let me save the replay after the race, and the replay didn't go back far enough to rewatch the incident...I hate their replay system. I wanted to record the lap as I watched it after and was actually really proud of it :P

I talked with the guy after the race. Real nice guy. We both agreed that it was just a racing incident, and sucked that it broke his car. I kinda felt bad even though I wasn't feeling responsible and he still got 2nd.

I really don't plan on these posts being this long when I first start typing, I promise...if I did I'd try to make it a bit more epic and exciting like the first one I did.

edit- oh damn I'm 11th in the series points with all 3 of my races completed 2 1st 1 2nd 1 pole, avg finish first. I love it
Nice spanks You add friends in the myRacing -> myRacers section. Not exactly sure how you use the studied driver junk.

The damage is really bizarre. I spun in T6 at laguna and some unfortunate driver t-boned me. Amazingly, I had absolutely no damage and went on to set the fastest lap of the race. Yet, if you drive into the back of someone at 10mph at the start your car will be totaled... In that same race there was some really odd warping going on with one driver. I've seen cars disappear and reappear fairly often, but nothing like this. His car looked like it was on hydraulics. The front end was bouncing 10 feet off the ground every couple of seconds. It was quite amusing but really distracting
ah there we go, didn't realize you had to highlight the helmet...the whole site is very unintuitive.

Can you not save replays from races btw?
Quote from Technique :I think the friend system actually screws up the match making system. Let's take jonsey for example. His irating is MUCH higher than mine. If the friends system pairs us up together, I will wind up hurting his series points. It will either grid me with his field (with high skill ratings) or he'd get put with us slow drivers. Either way, if I get put in the field with the higher skilled guys I'll bring down the average irating and thus the number of points the race winner can earn is lower. If he gets put with the slow drivers and wins by a large margin he'll still only earn minor points. Since the weekly points are averaged he's screwed either way! That's my theory anyway

I agree, but at the same time I've had a couple of races where I've not been with Dustin because he's so slow and I'm fast So I think it will match you up where possible, but I don't think it puts a huge priority on matching you with friends, at least not as much as I initially thought. And if it does end up being a problem, as you suggested, they can always change the weighting of the factors that decide who you race against...
Quote from spanks :ah there we go, didn't realize you had to highlight the helmet...the whole site is very unintuitive.

Can you not save replays from races btw?

Not atm, but they are working on it..
Tbh the friends thing is nice, but I don't think the system even tries to pair you with friendly drivers?

Either way I think it would be great if they could somehow implement a custom-league system so we can set up a LFS league. The possibilities are definitely there with the system they currently have, but I have no idea if they ever plan on letting the users manage (some of) the racing. Would be ace though!
Quote from Jertje :Tbh the friends thing is nice, but I don't think the system even tries to pair you with friendly drivers?

Both drivers must have each other in their friends list for it to work while taking average field strenght into account.
Quote from spanks :edit- oh damn I'm 11th in the series points with all 3 of my races completed 2 1st 1 2nd 1 pole, avg finish first. I love it

I'll get you next week! :shakes fist:
Sweet, just got my best finish in VIR East so far. Flawless drive and didn't crash or spin, finished 6th with "only" 30sec margin to next guy. Heck, even the three guys who restarted almost un-lapped me with 8sec faster laptimes

...I think I'll go back to Solstices.

Edit: If someone knows what the hell I'm doing wrong, here's my 3:05 lap from last night (there's couple obvious spots where I lose few tenths but there's no such thing as perfect lap)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKW8WckTDLI
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG