The online racing simulator
How many of you actually own a sound system?
(48 posts, started )
#26 - neRu
In my saab i've given sound quality a go. I've fitted some Pioneer 4inch frontspeakers with tweeters to give the sound a good detail, some blaupunkt 6 by 9inch in the rear to give it depth, and a 10inch amped magnat supreme 2500 to give it feel. At this time i am rebuilding it, and i'm going for 2 8inch subs in closed 6-10 liter cabinets instead, to give the feel a more precice tone and feel and not just the feel.
Quote from neRu :In my saab i've given sound quality a go. I've fitted some Pioneer 4inch frontspeakers with tweeters to give the sound a good detail, some blaupunkt 6 by 9inch in the rear to give it depth, and a 10inch amped magnat supreme 2500 to give it feel. At this time i am rebuilding it, and i'm going for 2 8inch subs in closed 6-10 liter cabinets instead, to give the feel a more precice tone and feel and not just the feel.

Hehe... Sounds like you've got a big job on your hands, good luck with it!!
Bleh..my old Micra had a rubbish radio/tape and well erm that was it. Good for listening to sport results on, and sod all else. The family car (Citroen C4) has a suprisingly nice factory cd player, but still sounds muffled compared to a proper setup. More than adaquate for a family car though. I helped a friend install a new sound system into his Audi Quattro, and to be honest I wasn't impressed. It came out sounding all distorted (to me), but he seems chuffed with it, I suspect maybe because it was very base heavy. Half the boot space was took up by a custom base box.

My home stereo I like a lot..Panasonic SA-AK520 unit with matching speakers and seperate sub. For under £200 it sounds very nice and clear.
Quote from Rtsbasic :Bleh..my old Micra had a rubbish radio/tape and well erm that was it. Good for listening to sport results on, and sod all else. I helped a friend install a new sound system into his Audi Quattro, and to be honest I wasn't impressed. It came out sounding all distorted (to me), but he seems chuffed with it, I suspect maybe because it was very base heavy.

My home stereo I like a lot..Panasonic SA-AK520 unit with matching speakers and seperate sub. For under £200 it sounds very nice and clear.

What wattage is it??

Your home one, i mean!!
Quote from mrodgers :No rap, techno, or hip hop in my car. You just sat back, closed your eyes, and was taken to another world by the hypnotising sound of David Gilmore's guitar as my system was built for one band, Pink Floyd.

Closing your eyes and being taken to "another world" aint a very smart thing to do when you're driving a car.

No i dont have any ICE installed on the bike, I prefer to concentrate on my riding, instead of trying to deafen myself by listening to some "phat tunes".
Old car had an Alpine flip up headunit (can't remember the model now, while since I've driven but is probably 8 years old now).. 2x 1K Rockford Fosgate amps, 2x caps, 2x CV Stroker 18s, mids, tweets and crossovers were all Rockford Fosgate

And to top it off for ultimate silliness, a Clifford 50 with all the bells and whistles (blackjack, remote headlights, windows, starter), heh.

Now I wouldn't bother with all that although music has always been my thing, DJing in particular.. but all of this was really only done as I knew a dude who worked for what used to be Prestige Audio

Regards,

Ian
Xd
Well..... :P i got 2 rockford fosgate p2 12s and a comp kicker 12, replacing my high and mid speakers soon running a 1200 DB watt amp
Holy shit, this is a major topic bump.

I'm afraid I tend to agree with Becky's comments from 2006, in principle if not in a literal sense. I've never understood some people's fascination with upgrading their sound systems. On the road, you need to be able to hear your surroundings in order to be a safe and quick driver. Chavs driving round with their rear glass bouncing to the beat are idiots - they can't hear their own engine, let alone anything around them. Occasionally I see idiots with loud music on holding up ambulances or fire engines because they never heard the siren coming, and it's no surprise that the same people are also too thick and/or irresponsible to look in their mirrors and notice the swathes of flashing lights.
Quote from STROBE :Holy shit, this is a major topic bump.

Well, since it was bumped..........

I never saw this comment in which he quoted me....

Quote from mrodgers :No rap, techno, or hip hop in my car. You just sat back, closed your eyes, and was taken to another world by the hypnotising sound of David Gilmore's guitar as my system was built for one band, Pink Floyd.

Quote from L(Oo)ney :Closing your eyes and being taken to "another world" aint a very smart thing to do when you're driving a car.

Spent nearly every minute of my free time in my car. Wasn't always driving

Sitting in the car in a remote location, flame meets agricultural product rolled up in some paper, Pink Floyd on the sound system..... It didn't get any better than that
Quote from mrodgers :I had a set of Infinity Kappa 63 6.5 inch coaxials in the doors, a set of MB Quart 5.25 separates in the kickpanels along with a set of Alpine 1 inch tweeters. Two MTX Bluethunder 10 inch subwoofers in the back all driven by a whooping 16 watt RMS per channel for the mains and 50 W RMS per channel amp for the subs. I could toss some Rush YYZ double bass drum solo in the CD player and smoke any Rap listenning fool out there. It's all in quality not quantity and bass is the easiest thing to get from a sound system.

all that for the space with the worst accoustics youll ever own? id rather spend that on a purpose built empty room with flat walls that reflect just the right amount etc
i just dont get the whole car audio thing youre spending masses of cash on weighting down something that was absolutely not built for good accoustics
Quote from Shotglass :all that for the space with the worst accoustics youll ever own? id rather spend that on a purpose built empty room with flat walls that reflect just the right amount etc
i just dont get the whole car audio thing youre spending masses of cash on weighting down something that was absolutely not built for good accoustics

Hmm, 2 hour drive to work in the morning, 2 hour drive home. Grab a bite to eat and it was back to where I was when working, only across the other side of the city to the college dorms for an evening of "fun".

I spent probably 10 minutes a day awake in my home, many hours in the car.

As I said loooong time ago......

Quote :If you build a system right, you should be able to close your eyes and pinpoint exactly on a stage each member and instrument is.

Yes the acoustics are the worst they could be. But, build it right and you overcome the acoustics. You would have literally thought you were at a concert sitting in the front of my car, many people have made that comment to me about it.

Home systems are easy, because of the acoustics. I don't know squat about getting good sound at home. My system sucks, and I couldn't enjoy it anyways because of the kids sleeping. When they are awake, I am outside with them in the pool, playing in the yard, where ever. My free time starts when they go to bed, and their rooms are too close to the living room. It's a very small house.

In the car, it is me and only me usually. No wife whining that the stereo is up too loud, no kids trying to sleep, just me and my tunes. But I don't drive nearly as much as I use to (I drove around 30,000 miles per year back then when I had the system in the car).

Funny how since I was very heavily into car audio (I had thoughts of actually competing, sound quality competitions, IASCA), home sound systems sound very muddy to me, mostly having way too much midbass mixing into the midrange.
I've been informed by my father that I'm getting his old head unit next weekend, so I'd like some better speakers to really make use of it. Standard Ford speakers from the mid 90s don't really cut it. Any good recommendations? My Dad had a pair of MB Quartz speakers but they got sold with his car. Not to mention they cost more than my car did, so they seem out of place.
I have a Alpine CDA-9812RB headunit, with a JL Audio 12" W3V2 - but in 1000watts of power. I also have had the all speakers replaced with Harman Kardon speakers. All of this is powered by a JL Audio G-Max Amplifier.

To say it sounds good is an understatement. The bass makes my rear number plate vibrate against my boot lid, which is a nice party peice, but sounds horrible as the plates are made from pressed steal.
The standard sound system in my mum's picanto is awsome. It is a JVC audio one.
The audio system in my mom's Ford Fusion is not bad, everything is standard, and sounds pretty nice. Same with our Volvo... they're cool
Quote from Luke.S :The standard sound system in my mum's picanto is awsome. It is a JVC audio one.

Lmao. And I'm sure her Picanto would do the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds
Quote from hrtburnout :Lmao. And I'm sure her Picanto would do the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds

If so, only because it's JVC powered
hmm in our BMW 318 E90 touring it has a decent sound system (imo) with a subwoofer and all, if you turn the music up you really feel the bass like you should, standard system but way enough for daily use
Got a pair of Dynavoice Challenger M-85 speakers connected to a NAD 3100 integrated amplifier, the source is a NAD 5320 CD-player..

...oh, car audio...does nothing count?
My MR2 has a factory fitted Premium sound system however the factory double-din radio is missing so I'm forced to buy an aftermarket radio. Can't complain about the quality so far, despite the car being 16yrs old. I like listening to music sometimes while driving but I don't care about amplifiers, subwoofers etc. etc. Too much weight
I have pioneer head unit with 2X 500W MTX 12" speaker,and a big amp,i dont even know what is it,coz its hiding somewhere in the trunk(all this needed for HARDSTYLE)
The stereo from my car weighed 25 lbs as it hit the trash pile. No use in hauling around unnecessary crap. The old setup was mostly stock anyway. Four standard JBL speakers, Sony CD head unit, and stock wiring.
To each his own. I spent a lot of time in the car, and loved music. Had a 2 hour commute to work (39 miles, dang rush hour traffic was horrific).

Unnecessary weight? It's only the kids and their boom boom music that the sound systems weigh as much as the car. Put ten 15 inch subs in the back with the enclosure made out of 3/4 inch MDF and it's bound to get heavy.

The only thing added to mine was 2 small amps, a very small pre-amp EQ, and a small enclosure for two 12 inch subs. The sub enclosure was the heavy item, but probably at only 30 pounds or so. That was replaced with 2 smaller enclosures for 10 inch subs. Very small and very light.

Radio? Well, I took the junk factory out and replaced it. Front speakers? Yes, I had 4 speakers up front. But 2 replaced the door speakers and the other 2 were even smaller than the factory rear. The factory rears I removed, I ran nothing in the rear.

For what you pay extra for the premium factory sound systems, I could probably get you something that sounds 100x better, yet only cost you a couple hundred dollars (US).

Bob, just using the integrated amp on even an aftermarket head unit isn't going to do a whole lot. Yes, it would be better than a factory unit, and any new speakers will be better than stock. But don't go nuts over the speakers. Just about anything from a reputable manufacturer will do, shop by price.

My equipment of choice is Infintiy and MBQuart drivers. Polk audio is good as well, but I've never had a pair. For subwoofer, can't say because I've been out of it too long. My subs are still the same 15 year old 10-inch MTX Blue Thunders. Actually, all my equipment is from back then 15 years ago.

Amps, my old Kenwood was the cleanest sounding amp I had ever heard. Even though it was only 16watt x 4, it far out performed every other system I had heard for normal music (anything but rap is normal music.) I also absolutely loved my Denon DCA-500 50Wx2 for driving the subs. I didn't play rap, but the bass in "normal" music hit hard and hit low. As I said last year, I could put Rush's YYZ drum solo in and no one with their booming systems could touch mine.

The only thing I shy away from now is anything from Sony. They were close to top dog at one point, but quality has gone down hill. I've never seen so many problems with audio equipment as I've seen with Sony. That said, I do have the very first in-trunk 10 disc CD changer that came out, the Sony can't remember the model. Bought it in 1991 before the downhill of Sony. I still have it, it's been through 6 vehicles, I had to tear it completely apart to remove a CD after a vehicle accident ejected the magazine, and it still goes. I haven't cleaned it in probably 10 years, and I could still go 4wheeling and have it never skip. Since then, every CD player I've had from Sony, car, home, or personal, has broken.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG