The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
braking for T1 at Limerock I really struggle with. I wish it was possible to change the brake pedal sensitivity as my brake pedal, once you touch it the wheels seem to lock up too much and causes a lack of control so I tend to not get past a mid 1.04
Braking on LRP is a bit of a personal preference maybe. I managed a couple of very low 1.04's before hitting 1.03, and all I did to get into 1.03's was not using the brake for T2 (or is it T3?) - the left-hander.

I'll try to fraps a 1.03 in practice today with the throttle and brake input visible, but so far I've only dipped into it 3 times, so it might not happen ;D

Oh, and Hyperactive, does what you said mean that you drive absolutely 100% pedal-to-the-metal during races? imo that's not the way to go if you have to be competitive for 20 laps - I usually keep a safety margin of 3 tenths or so, more if I have a healthy lead and/or no chance to catch up to the leader. If I drive during races like I do during practice - in the low 1.04, high 1.03 zone then there's a good chance of a few nasty offs when I take chances. There are times when I go into a corner (especially the last 2 on LRP) thinking to myself "well, if I floor it now there's about a 50% chance I'll go over the kerbs and spin on exit" - during practice I'll go for it, during races I definitely won't.

Perhaps you mistunderstood me though, when I say don't drive at 100% pace in races, I don't mean drive like an old lady on Sunday-morning - it just means take less chances and don't try to go PB-hunting ;>
Cuz once you're in 1.03 territory in the rookie solstice you're definitely taking major chances unless you're very experienced with that kind of speed - some people can drive 1.03's comfortably, so their error margin is different during races as well. Anyway, if you're driving faster than you're comfortable with during the entire race you're doing it wrong imo Like I said, it's alright to push when it has purpose, but if your own pb is 1.04 and the guy in the lead is driving 1.03.5 average then it's silly to try to give chase and risk your race on an impossible feat.
would be great if you can show a 1.03. It urks me that in iRacing when you watch someone else doing a qualifying lap it doesn't show their speedo or rev counter moving and the sound is dreadful and muffled!

If you could take a 1.03 lap, that would be great! I saw one guy braking after the 2 going in to T1. If I left it that late with my pedals, I'd be over shooting the corner
Quote from Jertje :Braking on LRP is a bit of a personal preference maybe. I managed a couple of very low 1.04's before hitting 1.03, and all I did to get into 1.03's was not using the brake for T2 (or is it T3?) - the left-hander.

The "Left Hander" is T3 on the track map, because "Big Bend" has two apexes (T1 and T2). How people manage to take T3 without braking is currently beyond me. I actually brake pretty hard for it. So, a video of a 1.03-lap would be really cool.
Alright, I got a 1.03.629 (trust me, I was surprised ), but I'm still looking for a good place to upload it to, since yout00b doesn't allow for enough quality to clearly see the speed and such, any suggestions?
use sendspace, it doesn't force you to install a toolbar
I can't say I've ever had to do anything with a toolbar for megaupload, but sure, I'll upload it to whatever works, I know some people have problems with megagames regardless of toolbars anyway
Quote from Jertje :Alright, I got a 1.03.629 (trust me, I was surprised ), but I'm still looking for a good place to upload it to, since yout00b doesn't allow for enough quality to clearly see the speed and such, any suggestions?

blip.tv and vimeo are generally pretty good. I find it odd that I can easily record iRacing videos using Fraps at ~30FPS whereas in LFS I can barely record half-speed videos at 14FPS. I guess LFS uses alot more CPU for replays.
Quote from Technique :blip.tv and vimeo are generally pretty good. I find it odd that I can easily record iRacing videos using Fraps at ~30FPS whereas in LFS I can barely record half-speed videos at 14FPS. I guess LFS uses alot more CPU for replays.

It's not particularly light to fraps for me though, it just about halves my framerate (from 80 to 40) to fraps at half screen.

Also, I updated the downloads, I recommend blip, double-click the video for full-screen if it doesn't show properly (it does so for me in firefox)
I haven't touched sim's in half a year... But I just got an invite by mail to try this Sim (who sent it? thanks)

Its 20$

How does the driving model feel? pretty good? lfs good?
Does it run well on 2400mhz athlon with 7800gs ?

thanks
IMHO, it's worth paying the $20 to try it out for a month. Driving feel, ffb, sound, tracks, netcode are all very good and probably better than LFS. Whether the game is worth $13-20/month to you will be your decision I'm still undecided...
For trying you can definitely pay the $20 and not be afraid of disappointment. This is the most fun I've had in a race sim to date, and I've seen some of the best and also courteous driving you can probably find online.

Going on with the service and paying monthly from then on is totally up to the individual though. I'll most likely sign up for another 3 months and see if I'm still having as much fun at that point. The idea of paying for the content and monthly subscription isn't all that strange to me though, the service they provide is already great (online and everything that comes with it) and if they can keep supplying new content it's all very much worth what they are asking. Of course, I am saying this as a student with no other expensive hobbies and no real other monthly expenditure.
Awesome, I hope all of you get the invite this time around
Damn! Still none for me
Quote from StableX :braking for T1 at Limerock I really struggle with. I wish it was possible to change the brake pedal sensitivity as my brake pedal, once you touch it the wheels seem to lock up too much and causes a lack of control so I tend to not get past a mid 1.04

I've noticed that sometimes when my brakes are being "touchy" it helps if I FULLY depress it a few times. Check your red brake scale on screen to make sure its moving the same as how much your pressing the pedal.

You may have to recalibrate it also. but normally just a few full presses helps.
Quote from evilpimp :Damn! Still none for me

That's tough. I'm glad I'm not in your shoes. I would be going insane.
Yeah. Ill post t on the RSC forums hoping that they see my name or something! :P
Quote from The Radness :I've noticed that sometimes when my brakes are being "touchy" it helps if I FULLY depress it a few times. Check your red brake scale on screen to make sure its moving the same as how much your pressing the pedal.

You may have to recalibrate it also. but normally just a few full presses helps.

100% confirmed. Everytime I reconnect my DFP (or rather, the pedal and FFB connectors) the brake is set to 100% on any action. I've taught myself to always go into options first, and then I depress both the brake and accelerator fully before setting off.
Quote from Jertje :100% confirmed. Everytime I reconnect my DFP (or rather, the pedal and FFB connectors) the brake is set to 100% on any action. I've taught myself to always go into options first, and then I depress both the brake and accelerator fully before setting off.

Should be enough if you do it in the pits, though. Works for me at least.

Just had a very nice race, btw. Relatively equal field, clean and respectful racing, again 0 incidents for me and I finished 2nd (starting from 8th). Was slowly catching up to the guy in front of me, but than he spun on lap 19 and hit the wall. I would have needed 7 more laps or so to really catch up, though.
I just had a guy spin far in front of me and he spun back onto the track. He did not, however use the brakes. So he was at 90 degrees with the track and rolling across the track... right into me. Suspension damage on lap 4... yipee! So when you spin, use your brake, don't let the car roll wherever it wants to., Especially if it is rolling onto or on the track.
Quote from Jertje :Alright, I got a 1.03.629 (trust me, I was surprised ), but I'm still looking for a good place to upload it to, since yout00b doesn't allow for enough quality to clearly see the speed and such, any suggestions?

www.vimeo.com is a great place for video's just so you know for the future...
Quote from Jertje :Megaupload:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XP5WUY34

Sendspace:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6nab4c

Blip.tv:
http://blip.tv/file/1064291

The quality isn't nearly as good as I'd have liked, but you can clearly read everything on-screen anyway. Hope it helps!

thanks very much for that. I see going in to the right hander and up over the hill you stay in 3rd and stay there for the next corner. I've been going to 4th then 3rd for both of those. Also the first right hander on the lap you are a lot faster around there than I am.........

thanks again
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG