The online racing simulator
Forced weather
(47 posts, started )
Forced weather
Hi,

I just wanted to post this here, as I really got a problem with the current weather system in LFS right now. Last time I checked out of my window, I couldnt choose the weather outside. My suggestion would be to make the weather in LFS 'random' just like in real life. The Master Server would choose itself what weather will be on all the server for a period of time and no one could choose it. It would change from the 'Sunny Day / 0 Wind' conditions that's found on 90% of the server these days. Good or no good?
That'd be far to general and boring xD
Although it could be good I don't think it should be done because some leagues use the place of the track IRL to determine wether they will use wind or not etc.
I agree, It should vary day to night and wind changes as well eventully add rain and rain slicks and tires...
#5 - Woz
+1 from me. Has come up before though a few times.

Quote from evilpimp :Although it could be good I don't think it should be done because some leagues use the place of the track IRL to determine wether they will use wind or not etc.

Just make private servers have selectable weather and all public servers subject to different conditions. Job done Cant see any league race ever being run on public servers, too much risk of wreckers etc.

I know some people prefer no wind etc so they can get PBs but who cares. The better driver is the one that can deal with whatever is thrown at them
I agree. Weather should be forced so that people don't pussy out because it's too hard.
When we get rain and it is properly dynamic then it could be a fun option. Devs just need to pick locations to base the tracks and then copy the real time weather.

Would work really well in longer league races where you would have to consult real world weather forecasts for your strategy.
I dont think real wether just where it chages like real, and They make a weather station for differnt tracks in LFS world!
Quote from greg_slideways :I dont think real wether just where it chages like real, and They make a weather station for differnt tracks in LFS world!

Yeah like on LFSWorld there is a link to the LFS weather forecast
Kinda like sims where in one side of world its suny other its dark and rainy...But start to make lfs like that where differnt tracks have differnt weather conditions, ANd to know what the weather is make it avalible on lfs world! Just and idea.
I've banging on about this for years, people always turn the weather off for convenience, especially in leagues... I've never seen someone turning down the wind for an F1 race, so why should we?

Quote from greg_slideways :Kinda like sims where in one side of world its suny other its dark and rainy...But start to make lfs like that where differnt tracks have differnt weather conditions, ANd to know what the weather is make it avalible on lfs world! Just and idea.

Erm... No... Forecast per race is ok... Globally forcing a weather and time per track would make us drive Aston only at night for example... Not good...
But you dont pick when its sunny or dark, so if a leauge is set for that time, you gotta deal or leave...Pussys and little pansy men need to get out anyway...?
+1 but it would be good that you could choose from forced weather to custom weather..
Quote from evilpimp :Although it could be good I don't think it should be done because some leagues use the place of the track IRL to determine wether they will use wind or not etc.

So in real life, when there is a race meeting, they decide to cancel it because it rains ?

LFS would be much much better with this. +infinite
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :+1 but it would be good that you could choose from forced weather to custom weather..

Of course, but i do belive if you want it to be a sim and your A series you should leave it on, But if you wanna be "easy", go ahead and turn it off...

off topic- I also think true snok/dirt/rian tires and tracks should be added, and on dirt it can rain and you need mud tires and such, but thats a while off. /ot
So how about demo.. should they have this option?
I am between both options, because if you give this weather option to demo users too, it wont increase s2 buyers. But if you leave forced weather from demo, they will use customized.. So my opinion is that they have only one weather and that is clear day and no wind
Leave them as is now! Differnt stuff you can choose, while we get this plus what we have!
Quote from greg_slideways :Leave them as is now! Differnt stuff you can choose, while we get this plus what we have!

Never! We are fully satisfied after we have all things that real life has!
Quote from greg_slideways :But you dont pick when its sunny or dark, so if a leauge is set for that time, you gotta deal or leave...Pussys and little pansy men need to get out anyway...?

You don't understand, it's not about not being able to do it... Only endurance races/rally are in the dark, but most sim-leagues are set in the evenings due to (most of) us having a life... Does that mean we only have to drive in the dark? And you are able to pick when it's day or night, that's why there is a schedule set for each racing event, you know...

Would you want ALL your races to be in the dark, as all of LfS' tracks with the exception of Fern Bay are on the other side of the world?
Quote from bbman :Would you want ALL your races to be in the dark, as all of LfS' tracks with the exception of Fern Bay are on the other side of the world?

Hmm yes.
And how long until you're crying about only ever driving at night? It took you 1 1/2 years to complain about only driving in bright sunshine...
#22 - Woz
Quote from bbman :You don't understand, it's not about not being able to do it... Only endurance races/rally are in the dark, but most sim-leagues are set in the evenings due to (most of) us having a life... Does that mean we only have to drive in the dark? And you are able to pick when it's day or night, that's why there is a schedule set for each racing event, you know...

Would you want ALL your races to be in the dark, as all of LfS' tracks with the exception of Fern Bay are on the other side of the world?

As I said, make PRIVATE servers able to select weather and public servers subject to weather. Show me a league server that is not private and I will show you a moron admin

Time of day should not be on a central server though because the world is a big place and places like NZ people would be forced to race at night all the time because of the time shifts, just stupid.
Race start time should be the only settable attribute.
Because if it was set to some global setting some races would happen at night and at weird hours. In real life races usually start at around middle of the day. Of course that would mean that most servers would start the race at daytime and we wouldn't never see the night. But it's only realistic, it's rare to see a short (normal races) race start at night or early in the morning. The day/night cycle only becomes an issue in long endurance races.
So what I am saying that in real life race officals can decide when the race starts and so should we. The weather is another thing and they don't have control of it in real life so we shouldn't either.
+1 geeman
Quote from Woz :As I said, make PRIVATE servers able to select weather

Wrong... It's especially league admins/drivers who can't seem to cope with the thought that they might have to adjust their driving to the weather, so they have to be included in forced weather too...

The ONLY thing where weather shouldn't be forced is single player... Hotlaps can't have random weather, a newcomer that hops onto training likely won't cope with rain right away and normal single player as we need SOME place to create/adjust our sets...

Quote from me 1 1/2 years ago :I didn't say I'm against a day/night-cycle... It's just that (virtual) racing starts when the sun goes/gone down due to jobs/families/whatsoever, so linking it to RL-time we would only race in the dark, and that's exactly what I don't want (might be fun for a while though)...

Setting a starttime (and if clock is reset to starttime every restart) should be the only thing to decide... Once you connect, you get a forecast (you should see the present state of the weather yourself), then the usual: Take a set and drive or spectate, whatever you like...

Not this "blue sky without wind"-malarky anymore, not even for leagues...

Forced weather
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG